Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The most underrated test innings??

81 M.J. Clarke 329* India Sydney 2012 Won 16.57
    84 M.J. Clarke 151 South Africa Cape Town 2011 Lost 16.53
    In what universe is the 329* actually a better innings?

Teja, I'm convinced Aus would have won both matches (and probably the ashes) without that 73*. Amazing batting.

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Valer View Post

It's not anymore. I updated it.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

Warner's 180. Yes India were shot, but look at 1. the other scores, 2. the conditions (was one of the greenest pitches in my lifetime) and 3. the speed of the innings.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Very surprised Ponting's magnum opus ranks at 159th. Even so I think his 156 match-saver at Old Trafford in 2005 would have breached the top 50. But formulae are formulae.

I also liked his second-innings ton against Bangladesh to win us the game by three wickets. Fleet Street would still be giving us **** if we'd lost that.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    Kim Hughes 100 not out against WI in 1981 on a very lively pitch

Match
    Yep. It was a **** of a pitch on a real Melbourne dog. Great knock. Incredible courage. I hope my Australocentrism hasn't influenced my opinion here.

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post

If only Bishop had managed to stay healthy, he very well may have been in contention to be among the best, if not the best ever, he was that special.
    Each to their own I suppose. Bishop stayed healthy enough to have a good run at test cricket. He was a great foil for Ambrose and cashed in on the pressure he built up. Without Ambrose he was definately beatable. Walsh and Bishop would be the best attack in the world now but back in the day they could not apply the pressure that Ambrose could. I'm guessing that Ambrose bowled so well that he actually lifted the standard of batting of those facing him. When absent it had a liberating effect on the batsmen no matter who else they faced.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

Don't forget him spreading the field to Boucher too.
    Yeah, it was just spineless captaincy. I swear I could have choked him to death when he said he "was satisfied" with the drawn series. It's just a shame he won the world cup after that and I could never again completely hate him no matter what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Yep. It was a **** of a pitch on a real Melbourne dog. Great knock. Incredible courage. I hope my Australocentrism hasn't influenced my opinion here.
    I really don't think the Kim Hughes hundred can be called underrated. It's widely regarded as one of the all time great innings isn't it?

Trescothick's 180 at Johannesburg was just awesome and isn't mentioned as often as it should. Genuinely great, match winning innings. 180 out of a total of 330 in the second innings is an incredible effort. England were 222-6 at one stage leading by around 230 but Trescothick added 110 more with the tail to put England in control.

4th Test: South Africa v England at Johannesburg, Jan 13-17, 2005 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Inzamam's 92 here was great as well... Probably his finest innings.
    2nd Test: South Africa v Pakistan at Port Elizabeth, Jan 19-22, 2007 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Quote Originally Posted by MartinB View Post
    Kim Hughes 100 not out against WI in 1981 on a very lively pitch

Match
    Add to the fact that it was arguably the greatest attack ever assembled, and it was one of the great innings.

Quote Originally Posted by Valer View Post

Teja, I'm convinced Aus would have won both matches (and probably the ashes) without that 73*. Amazing batting.
    Impressive that Australia could win a game between India and SA
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    Impressive that Australia could win a game between India and SA
    The 73* he's talking about was in the Mohali test.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    Very surprised Ponting's magnum opus ranks at 159th. Even so I think his 156 match-saver at Old Trafford in 2005 would have breached the top 50. But formulae are formulae.

I also liked his second-innings ton against Bangladesh to win us the game by three wickets. Fleet Street would still be giving us **** if we'd lost that.
    The 80 odd he got at Headingly in 09 after we rolled England for about 100 or so was amazing. Ended the game as a contest in about 45 minutes.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yes it was. Best innings I've seen live.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    an innings that most wont remember, Michael Slater 106 vs West Indies in Trinidad 1999, on an absolute dog of a wicket, nobody got near a 100 in the whole match. Outfield seemed metres high, slow as hell, pitch up and down, WI made 51 in the 4th innings. Disgraceful match to watch, over rates and scoring rates were abysmal (Elliott 44 off 208 balls!), but Slats played a blinder. Ambrose and Walsh were unhittable for almost all their bowling spells.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    an innings that most wont remember, Michael Slater 106 vs West Indies in Trinidad 1999, on an absolute dog of a wicket, nobody got near a 100 in the whole match. Outfield seemed metres high, slow as hell, pitch up and down, WI made 51 in the 4th innings. Disgraceful match to watch, over rates and scoring rates were abysmal (Elliott 44 off 208 balls!), but Slats played a blinder. Ambrose and Walsh were unhittable for almost all their bowling spells.
    Oooohhhh I remember that innings. Match was dead boring... Langer's runout of Lara is the only thing I remember apart from Slater's innings.
    Last edited by Satyanash89; 10-05-2013 at 07:26 AM.

U19 Debutant
    1) Sachin's and Laxman's 50 odd.. 2004 Mumbai Test..spin pitch at its best
    2) Sanjay Bangar's 60 odd against Eng 2002..Showed excellent technique against the moving ball..
    3) Dravid's 148 should be part of an educational video on how to bat in swinging conditions
    4) Mark Richardson, Sachin and Dravid's 50's vs NZ 2002 series..
    5) Twin 50's by Salim Malik..silky smooth batting
    6) Sanjay Manjrekar's knocks in 89-90 Indo-Pak series..tough tough series..

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information