Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 77

Thread: The most underrated test innings??

  1. #31
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,218
    one day
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

    http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

    http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

  2. #32
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,522
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Yes the SA tour in 97 was on foxtel.
    Okay cool, perhaps that was just before my family got pay TV or something. I always feel bad for Blewett that he managed just 4 centuries.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

  3. #33
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    Actually all 3 Indian centuries, made by Manjerakar, Shastri and Sidhu, in that 88-89 India - West Indies test series were very courageous. All of them took so many blows to the body. There was just no place to hide. They just remind me of what it was to bat against the Windies in the 80s.

    Batting against the Windies in the 80s sort of "separated the men from the boys". The physical courage factor slowly went missing from the mid-90s onward (success against Australia and RSA were poor substitutes). Sidhu made a 116 in the last test at Jamaica. Below videos of Sidhu and other Indian batsmen in that 88-89 series give a hint what sort of courage it took.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqa2Ldpkhgs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slC9JKk2oXw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7PgPUSDdJU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWpEgS8cTPU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZWwAbnW97A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldclf26Qty4


    With the introduction of bouncer restriction rule in the 1991-92, and Umpires/officials slowly getting more strict, combined with fading away of West Indies bowlers, focus moved from hostile fast bowling to accurate fast bowling from mid-90s onwards.

    Not that, the likes of Donald, Akram or McGrath were incapable of bowling short-pitched deliveries, but even the hostility of these bowlers at their best in the 90s paled in comparison to the relentless hostility of the Windies bowlers of the 80s. Those Windies bowlers had mastered the skill of bowling short-pitched deliveries.

    It is one of the reasons why I put Gooch's 154* even above Lara's 153*. Lara's might have been more flamboyant innings, but the courage factor was significantly higher in Gooch's case.

    Allan Border's performance against the Windies in 83-84 when he scored 500+ runs is also under-rated. Same applies to Viv Richard's performance against Pakistan in 80-81 (to my eyes, far tougher performance than any of his exploits against England).

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    807
    Afridi's maiden test hundred in the famous Chennai test of 1999 was a genuinely amazing innings. Kind of gets forgotten completely because of Sachin's epic.

    Others that come to mind are Steve Waugh's 60 odd against West Indies on one of the greenest greentops ever which was overshadowed by his 200 in the next match, Mahela's 180 against England at Galle recently where none of his teammates were able to hold a bat properly, and Dravid's twin fifties at Jamaica 2006


  5. #35
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,223
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Yes the SA tour in 97 was on foxtel.
    Was actually on Optus wasn't it?
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

    Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a manís right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of oneís own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain oneís life and to keep the results of oneís own efforts.


  6. #36
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,742
    Yeah would have thought Optus Vision had it. I think I had Optus Vision until mid-to-late 1998 when I switched to Foxtel. Optus Vision was known as the "sports" one and Foxtel the "entertainment" one back then.

  7. #37
    International 12th Man Quaggas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,701
    AB's second outing at the WACA 2008

  8. #38
    International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    4,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Was actually on Optus wasn't it?
    Nope Foxtel. Ive uploaded many vids from the series, you can see Foxtel logo. I had both Optus and Foxtel at the time, Optus hardly showed any international cricket, only shield matches, though they did show the 96 tour to India, and highlights of the 96 world cup. Foxtel showed everything else. Was glad when Optus finally stopped showing cricket, I could save money!

    Mark Waugh 116 vs South Africa 1997 2nd test 4th innings chase - YouTube

    Mark Waugh 115* vs South Africa 2nd ODI 1997 - YouTube


    5000th duck in test cricket, 1997 Gary Kirsten vs Jason Gillespie - YouTube

  9. #39
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    44,223
    Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Nope Foxtel. Ive uploaded many vids from the series, you can see Foxtel logo. I had both Optus and Foxtel at the time, Optus hardly showed any international cricket, only shield matches, though they did show the 96 tour to India, and highlights of the 96 world cup. Foxtel showed everything else. Was glad when Optus finally stopped showing cricket, I could save money!

    Mark Waugh 116 vs South Africa 1997 2nd test 4th innings chase - YouTube

    Mark Waugh 115* vs South Africa 2nd ODI 1997 - YouTube


    5000th duck in test cricket, 1997 Gary Kirsten vs Jason Gillespie - YouTube
    Fair enough. Was under the same impression as Jono.

  10. #40
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,742
    I think we've all learned to never question robelinda about anything cricket coverage related ever again.

  11. #41
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,522
    Although the Fox Sports logo looks eerily similar to the Robelinda2 font so who knows if he's gone and edited it in just to rewrite history.

    EDIT - in the 5000th Test duck one.

  12. #42
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    42,417
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkuna View Post
    Actually all 3 Indian centuries, made by Manjerakar, Shastri and Sidhu, in that 88-89 India - West Indies test series were very courageous. All of them took so many blows to the body. There was just no place to hide. They just remind me of what it was to bat against the Windies in the 80s.

    Batting against the Windies in the 80s sort of "separated the men from the boys". The physical courage factor slowly went missing from the mid-90s onward (success against Australia and RSA were poor substitutes). Sidhu made a 116 in the last test at Jamaica. Below videos of Sidhu and other Indian batsmen in that 88-89 series give a hint what sort of courage it took.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqa2Ldpkhgs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slC9JKk2oXw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7PgPUSDdJU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWpEgS8cTPU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZWwAbnW97A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldclf26Qty4


    With the introduction of bouncer restriction rule in the 1991-92, and Umpires/officials slowly getting more strict, combined with fading away of West Indies bowlers, focus moved from hostile fast bowling to accurate fast bowling from mid-90s onwards.

    Not that, the likes of Donald, Akram or McGrath were incapable of bowling short-pitched deliveries, but even the hostility of these bowlers at their best in the 90s paled in comparison to the relentless hostility of the Windies bowlers of the 80s. Those Windies bowlers had mastered the skill of bowling short-pitched deliveries.

    It is one of the reasons why I put Gooch's 154* even above Lara's 153*. Lara's might have been more flamboyant innings, but the courage factor was significantly higher in Gooch's case.

    Allan Border's performance against the Windies in 83-84 when he scored 500+ runs is also under-rated. Same applies to Viv Richard's performance against Pakistan in 80-81 (to my eyes, far tougher performance than any of his exploits against England).
    Sidhu would have been more worried about getting rogered in prison, wouldn't he?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

  13. #43
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Sidhu would have been more worried about getting rogered in prison, wouldn't he?
    Honestly, at the time, it looked to me as if he would have fancied his chances in prison better than facing Marshall's persistent bumpers from around the wicket. The video reinforced my thought.

  14. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    cape town
    Posts
    112
    Kallis' twin centuries at Cape Town' 10 with a bad back against the then number one side with the series on the line.

  15. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pune, India
    Posts
    807
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumbinfront View Post
    Kallis' twin centuries at Cape Town' 10 with a bad back against the then number one side with the series on the line.
    Don't think that performance is underrated to be honest.... most people recognize it as probably Kallis' finest effort. It was amazing, no doubt, because Harbhajan was getting vicious turn and bounce from the pitch, and Kallis just reverse swept him with ease.

    As good as Kallis was though, I will never forgive Dhoni for what he did that day... we would have won a historic series if we'd got kallis out, but MS for some inexplicable reason went on the defensive and allowed Kallis to get away. Probably just the fear of winning, I guess... just complete **** captaincy

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CW XI Test History
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Statistics and Records
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 29-11-2007, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •