Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Well said Sourav

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by Don Ricardo
    Theoretically this may make sense, but in reality i have to disagree with what you have said here.

Persistent short bowling forces a batsman back time and again, and it eventually develops a tendancy to do so, so when a bowler follows a barrage of short stuff with a wide half volley the batsman is quite likely to nick it because he may only go on the front foot half-heartedly.

Bowlers regularly get wickets with this type of strategy, so to not give credit to the bowler because the actual wicket taking ball was not a 'good' one (it was full and wide) is losing sight of the reality of the situation.
    From the evidence of what I've seen a non-hooker\puller batsman who has been ducking, back-defending and evading for a sustained period (ie 4 or 5 overs) who gets a wide Half-Volley is far more likely to delightedly slam it through the off-side for four than nick it.
    It's very, very hard to hit a Half-Volley in the air, because you can't get under it. Maybe a batsman might chase a wide, just-short-of-Half-Volley-length ball and nick it, but for me a decent batsman will always know his shots and when to play them, whether he's been on the opposite foot for ages or not.
    Some beg to differ but the evidence I've seen leads me to come to that conclusion.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Originally posted by age_master
    * looks at tendulkars dismissal in the Aust A game with interest*

short balls are a good way to get batsmen caught even when they are set, doesn't always work but it can take key wickets sometimes
    Every batsman, no matter how good, plays poor strokes sometimes.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information