• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hardest job in cricket

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Then there's the England selectors who have to spend their time watching domestic cricket in South Africa in order to spot the next generation of Test cricketers as early as possible.
I'm new here so I hope you'll forgive this minor rant....... I assume there was some jest in that post but it is the sort of inane comment I'd expect from our rivals down under, simply because they don't have anything else to poke fun at with regards English cricket any more. Incredible to see it posted by an English person (or are you an Aussie living in Eng?? Like I said I'm new here)

This obsession with South African born cricketers playing for England is very old, very tired and very boring. For the most part they grew up and played their junior cricket In Eng, and those that didn't came to us.............we don't have teams of talent scouts scouring SA to bring home the next KP. For a variety of reasons they come looking for us.

So long as they qualify and go through our immigration procedures I don't give a flying **** where they come from. Our Selectors job is to pick the best 11 players they have at their disposal.........if some of those happened to be born offshore who gives a ****???

As an expat Englishman living in Oz, I'd like to see any potential employer not give me a job based on my nationality........no different for cricketers.

I do wonder when cricket fans will mature to the point where this is a non issue??

<end of my rant, thanks for listening, feel better now:laugh:>

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm new here so I hope you'll forgive this minor rant....... I assume there was some jest in that post but it is the sort of inane comment I'd expect from our rivals down under, simply because they don't have anything else to poke fun at with regards English cricket any more. Incredible to see it posted by an English person (or are you an Aussie living in Eng?? Like I said I'm new here)

This obsession with South African born cricketers playing for England is very old, very tired and very boring. For the most part they grew up and played their junior cricket In Eng, and those that didn't came to us.............we don't have teams of talent scouts scouring SA to bring home the next KP. For a variety of reasons they come looking for us.

So long as they qualify and go through our immigration procedures I don't give a flying **** where they come from. Our Selectors job is to pick the best 11 players they have at their disposal.........if some of those happened to be born offshore who gives a ****???

As an expat Englishman living in Oz, I'd like to see any potential employer not give me a job based on my nationality........no different for cricketers.

I do wonder when cricket fans will mature to the point where this is a non issue??

<end of my rant, thanks for listening, feel better now:laugh:>
Hmmm.....to use an even older and more tired phrase........you need to get out more.

I am a very big fan of cricket. And i also spport Cricket game.In world millions of peole show cricket and they are understand this is very hard game. All Cricketer are working hard in our profession. and give their best.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon if the english fans keep protesting to the jokes there will just be more of them.
Just make a joke back.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon if the english fans keep protesting to the jokes there will just be more of them.
Just make a joke back.
You're probably right, I expect it from the Cons but was most surprised to see it from an English person.......even if it was said in jest.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Okay, leaving all traces of humour to one side. I do believe that a nation's national team should be represented by people from that nation - but it doesn't spoil my day.

Howe_zat

Audio File
When a significant part of the population that cares about our minority sport are immigrants it's quite ignorant to decide they don't count as part of the population.

Not surprised to see you repeating newspaper wisdom as though you're the enlightened one again though.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It doesn't surprise me that you would try to turn a simple belief about sporting values into something racist. Just isn't going to be a day for surprises I guess.