• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

BCCI attempts to find a new way to block DRS

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aka bcci are still evil

Controversy as cricket electors change votes | Columnists | BDlive

The one area the BCCI has not been able to control is the vote of the game’s most important stakeholders — the players. Up until now, that is.

Playing conditions, proposed law changes and everything else to do with what happens on the field is debated by the ICC’s cricket committee, on which the players have two representatives. They are Sri Lanka’s Kumar Sangakkara and the president of the Federation of International Cricketers Associations, former Australia spinner Tim May.

Those men were elected by the players from around the world through the votes of their Test captains.

The BCCI recently put Laxman Sivaramakrishnan up as a candidate to stand against May. Nine Test caps and 16 one-day internationals suggest there is nothing wrong with the man’s credentials as a cricketer. Except that he is employed by the Chennai Super Kings, the Indian Premier League franchise owned by the BCCI’s president, N Srinivasan.

The players of the world, judging by their votes, were unimpressed. When the confidential votes of the world’s 10 Test captains were voted, they numbered 9:1 in favour of retaining May. It was then that the BCCI started work.
Controversy as cricket electors change votes | Columnists | BDlive

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would have thought the BCCI president owning one of the IPL franchises would have been bad enough - but there's always worse to come where Indian politics and cricket are concerned.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, in game of thrones speak, BCCI are Cercei rather than Tywin. They think they're smarter than they are, but really they think tactically (and badly at that) instead of strategically - seem bent on how they can come out ahead and show everyone off in one particular situation rather than thinking about long term consequences.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesus, I know the Saffers love their conspiracy theories but, I have to ask, where's the substantiation for any/all this? This article is basically trolling.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Also if this is true, I don't think this has anything to do with DRS - at least not centrally. It'd be a nice side effect but there is no chance of anyone forcing BCCI to use DRS unless they want to, so it doesn't matter who the representative is. I think they feel slighted and embarrassed that their candidate lost by a vote of 9:1, and they want to send a message.

Which is worse. I think people are naive if they think BCCI gives a **** about any one particular cricketing issue. They care about maintaining their financial and governing power. Getting their favorite pick voted down is a public embarrassment - and there's nothing BCCI punishes harder than people who 'go out of line'.

the big bambino

International Captain
Well isn't there proof that the original count was 9-1 and the recount 5 all? I mean why a recount when the original vote was a landslide? Which country's board would push for their man and a recount? Why is Laxman standing at all: He's clearly conflicted. Which organisation is best placed to influence Laxman?

At the moment this is less a conspiracy and more a conflict of interest. There should not have been a recount. In fact Laxman should not have even been a candidate meaning the 2 should present holders should have been re elected unopposed.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it's high time that someone remade the film Lagaan but featuring the BCCI as the equivalent of the massive ham-acting evil British colonial.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yea, in game of thrones speak, BCCI are Cercei rather than Tywin. They think they're smarter than they are, but really they think tactically (and badly at that) instead of strategically - seem bent on how they can come out ahead and show everyone off in one particular situation rather than thinking about long term consequences.
Look I like GoT but this is going too far. Pull your head in.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Perplexed that they've not pushed Sanga for it. I like man's batting, but his utter greed for Indian money would soon land him in BCCIs lap.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I just meant making a genuine GoT reference in Cricket Chat at all. Just change your forum username to "ub3r nerd" already.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I understand why the BCCI wants total power and control over cricket, its kind of human nature. But I still don't understand their agenda against DRS. Is it just stubbornness?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I understand why the BCCI wants total power and control over cricket, its kind of human nature. But I still don't understand their agenda against DRS. Is it just stubbornness?
It's people protecting the reputation of their superiors.

Perfect example of a dysfunctional organisation when people are told to tow the line for no other reason than dogma.