• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web "Ashes" (and ROW)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wouldn't even go there...and it's like 15 minutes from my dad's house.

How far is from the train station?
WTF.

Bankstown Sports is about 1 minute walk from the Railway Station. Bankstown Oval is about 5 minutes.

Harden up. It's hardly Damascus.

EDIT: I was originally going to say Beirut but...

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
When did you last go to Bankstown heef? Stay at the Travelodge?

I actually like it out there, Bankstown Sports is great.

HeathDavisSpeed

When did you last go to Bankstown heef? Stay at the Travelodge?

I actually like it out there, Bankstown Sports is great.
Oooh, about 2 weeks ago! Yeah, great set up - perfect for a cricket tour and the dangers of Bankstown are massively overstated. I do like the Bankstown Sports Club, but for those addicted to gambling, it could be a dangerous place... Fortunately, I avoided gambling most of the time and instead played darts or snooker or propped up the bar.

Inter-TAB cricket tournament - VIC TAB, NSW TAB, QLD TAB and NZ TAB. NZ TAB won the tournament for the first time, and it was also the first time since NZ have been in it that NSW didn't make the final.

But my word, playing cricket on the Bankstown Oval puts our grounds to shame. That outfield must be twice the size of most of our pitches.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Sweet good on ya for winning. The oval is fantastic, I watched a bit of the Sydney Grade final there a few months back.

There are a **** load of machines there huh, I like the Little Italy area for their pizzas and gelato and the sports bar is good too.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Dour opening bat, wicketkeeper and occasional medium pace or leg spin bowler. Pretty **** at all of them, tbh.

Would play if this happens.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Feb 2014 fellas? For one weekend.

The inaugral CW tournament.

Who would actually come?

HeathDavisSpeed

whats tab matey?
Totalisator Agency Board - the main betting agencies.

Sweet good on ya for winning. The oval is fantastic, I watched a bit of the Sydney Grade final there a few months back.

There are a **** load of machines there huh, I like the Little Italy area for their pizzas and gelato and the sports bar is good too.
Yeah, I've whiled away a good number of hours in the Sports Bar. And their all you can eat buffet breakfasts in the Railway Bistro certainly help soak up a hangover nicely.

Who would actually come?
Possibly. February not ideal for me, but would be feasible if others could be roped in. It would be more attractive if some kind of professional sport could be watched before/after the playing of cricket - which makes March/April more attractive as AFL/NRL would have started by then.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

haha the most obvious answer of course
There's a lot of history behind the tournament. 60 years or so. A book has even been published about it. However, NZ were only invited to join 7 years ago. For most of it's life, the tournament has been a NSW vs. VIC affair. QLD joined in the late 80s, I think.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Possibly. February not ideal for me, but would be feasible if others could be roped in. It would be more attractive if some kind of professional sport could be watched before/after the playing of cricket - which makes March/April more attractive as AFL/NRL would have started by then.
I tend to agree with this, plus getting a ground in February may be problematic with grade cricket still running.

But personally, any time suits really. Bankstown suits me perfectly, btw. Anything outside of NSW would be problematic for a Uni student with no income.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah Monk I think you need to put up a bit of a draft itinerary in place if you are serious about this. Pretty hard to commit to anything even if it was a couple hours away let alone overseas.

- Definitely include some sort of sports action for the night/next day.
- Find an available oval
- work out the format of the matches and how many games (I wouldn't travel far for 1 20 over game for instance).
- Maybe find a charity to play for?

Fun idea though.

HeathDavisSpeed

For the tour I was just on, we had the Bankstown Oval and it's 2nd ground (I forget the name) for 2 days and each team played 2 20:20s a day.

Realistically, you're only going to get 2 teams - Aus and ROTW so maybe schedule 2 ODs over 2 days on a single oval. And if the teams are clearly mis-matched after day 1 then mix things up for the 2nd game to make it more enjoyable.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
WTF.

Bankstown Sports is about 1 minute walk from the Railway Station. Bankstown Oval is about 5 minutes.

Harden up. It's hardly Damascus.

EDIT: I was originally going to say Beirut but...
I just don't like that part of Sydney :p

I can travel that far though. Although I don't have a car so it'll have to be by public transport.

bagapath

International Captain
i will have to plan that long overdue holiday to australia and coincide with this game...

dermo

International Vice-Captain
can bowl alright but pretty rubbish with the bat, would be keen for this.