• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Helmets in cricket

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
i really don't know what you're talking about now. boon is standing there as close as you want to get to have a chance of catching the ball. standing any closer than that to a quick bowler is a disadvantage. albi's pic is a good one too.
That's quite obvious that you don't, so maybe it would be better not to bother posting in response. I'd already said that people like Close, Greig and Solkar used to stand under the batsman's nose (to the spinners obviously, that's just common sense) anyway and if they want to do so without a helmet then fair play to them.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Well I'll say one more time and very simply for the hard of thinking.

You have fielders who field close to the batsman. - follow so far? Good.

Some of these fielders admit that wearing a helmet gives them the confidence to stand closer than they would without the helmet. - well that's it, not difficult to understand really.

uvelocity

International Coach
well you are difficult to understand because you contradict yourself. fielders are standing in the same spot they always have, as you have pointed out. wearing a helmet gives them an advantage, as it does to the batsman. there isn't any difference. the fielders are going to stand there with or without a helmet. batsmen are going to hook and pull with and without helmets.

now i tried to politely discuss the strange to me theory of yours that fielders should be treated differently but clearly you lack not only the ability to think clearly, but also the common decency not to post like a ****wit. passive aggressive smiley faces inclusive.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Look, anyone who doesn't have a law degree isn't qualified to debate on this subject (nor any other), so let's just end it there.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
well you are difficult to understand because you contradict yourself. fielders are standing in the same spot they always have, as you have pointed out. wearing a helmet gives them an advantage, as it does to the batsman. there isn't any difference. the fielders are going to stand there with or without a helmet. batsmen are going to hook and pull with and without helmets.

now i tried to politely discuss the strange to me theory of yours that fielders should be treated differently but clearly you lack not only the ability to think clearly, but also the common decency not to post like a ****wit. passive aggressive smiley faces inclusive.
No contradiction at all. They're standing in the same fielding positions but closer to the batsman. Very simple, unless of course you think each fielding position is marked out with slide rule and can't differ by a few feet.

Incidentally sledger, we both have law degrees so it's okay.