• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft: Best of 1980s and 1990s

watson

Banned
For the record;

would like to start a new draft to choose players who dominated test cricket in the 80s and 90s. the idea is to build a test XI using players who were active in those decades

The conditions are:

Between Jan 1st 1978 and Dec 31 2002.

they should have played at least 40 tests
or
scored a minimum of 1500 runs
or
made at least 5 scores of 50 and above
or
taken 75 wickets or more
or
taken at least 5 four-wicket hauls
or
taken 50+ catches
or
won 2 "man of the match" awards
or
won one "man of the series" award

One very important condition: the player should have made his debut five years before the cut off, that is before December 31, 1997; and he should not have retired within five years from the start date, that is before January 1, 1983. We don't want champions from 70s and 00s polluting this team. No gilchrist. No boycott.

if enough guys sign up we can start this draft asap

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Question: Are we talking about debuting and retiring from Test cricket, FC cricket, or List A cricket?

If we assume Test cricket then Colin Croft is not eligible because he retired from Test cricket in 1982.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Croft copped a ban for going on a rebel tour - not really the same as retiring, and the greater part of his career was in the 80s

watson

Banned
valid coz he didn't announce his retirement till 85 IIRC
This is inconsistent because we use Test cricket to decide debut, but use FC cricket to decide retirement. Gilchrist made his FC debut in 1992 so you could argue that he is equally a product of the 1990s as he is the 2000s.

I think that it's a lot easier for everyone if we just stick to a player's first and last Test match to decide whether they fit the criteria or not. Otherwise it's going to get very messy.

After all, how do I know when a player actually announced his retirement? Do I read old newspapers or something?

bagapath

International Captain
This is inconsistent because we use Test cricket to decide debut, but use FC cricket to decide retirement. Gilchrist made his FC debut in 1992 so you could argue that he is equally a product of the 1990s as he is the 2000s.

I think that it's a lot easier for everyone if we just stick to a player's first and last Test match to decide whether they fit the criteria or not. Otherwise it's going to get very messy.

After all, how do I know when a player actually announced his retirement? Do I read old newspapers or something?
croft's case is unique coz he was available for test selection but wasnt picked. it is different from boycott leaving tests in 81-82 but staying in FC for three, four more years.

as for you trying to find out when a player actually announced his retirement, just ask fredfertang. piece of cake.

bagapath

International Captain
Am going for Andy Roberts

Pothas to go back to back for R3 and 4.

Round 3

1. Kingkallis - Courtney Walsh
2. Harsh - Clive Lloyd
3. Monk - Kapildev
4. Coronis - Andy Flower
5. Morgieb - Ian Bishop
6. Himannv - Ricky Ponting
7. AndyZaltzHair - Martin Crowe
8. Watson - Matthew Hayden
9. Fredfertang - Colin Croft
10. Justo - Inzamam ul-Haq
11. Log Hop Cassidy - Graham Gooch
12. Bagapath - Andy Roberts
13. Pothas - Bob Willis

Round 4

1. Pothas - Anil Kumble
2. Bagapath - Chris Cairns
3. Log Hop Cassidy
4. Justo
5. Fredfertang
6. Watson
7. AndyZaltzHair
8. Himannv
9. Morgeib
10. Coronis
11. Monk
12. Harsh
13. Kingkallis

Last edited:

watson

Banned
croft's case is unique coz he was available for test selection but wasnt picked. it is different from boycott leaving tests in 81-82 but staying in FC for three, four more years.

as for you trying to find out when a player actually announced his retirement, just ask fredfertang. piece of cake.
OK cool.

But by and large I assume that we are still using each players first and last Test matches to decide beginning and end dates. Unless there is special case - like Colin Croft. Would that be right?

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Andy Roberts available for selection? Sorry I am a bit confused here. I thought he didnt meet the retirement clause

watson

Banned
Mine, on the other hand, is probably just as sad and tedious as you all imagine :happy:
Single dad with 3 small kids and a busy hospital pretty much keeps me on my toes :p

Almost sure that 'sad and tedious' is not quite right Fred.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Andy Roberts available for selection? Sorry I am a bit confused here. I thought he didnt meet the retirement clause
Roberts played his last Test match Christmas time 1983. The cut off is Jan 1st 1983. He is well in by almost a year.

(Unless I've grabbed the wrong end of the pineapple)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Single dad with 3 small kids and a busy hospital pretty much keeps me on my toes :p

Almost sure that 'sad and tedious' is not quite right Fred.
I'm a single dad with 3 kids too, but mine are all 20 somethings and live away (save I have a sinking feeling that two are on their way back) - delighted to say though that there is nothing busy about my job (well not usually anyway), leaving me plenty of time to pursue my leisure activities which these days consist almost exclusively, save when furthering anglo-french relations, of reading and writing about cricket or counselling sledger on facebook