• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Draft: Best of 1980s and 1990s

bagapath

International Captain
Gilchrist was pretty damn good in that period :P 2445 runs @ 56.86 with 6 centuries.
I know. But we are trying to make a team for 80 s -90 s. keeping the years 78,79,80,01,02 only to make sure the spillovers are not missed out. But gilchrist or boycott would be obvious misfits. So the rule about debut and retirement dates. Shud make the selections tougher. But I don't want to see a team that reads Sehwag, Hayden, Gilly etc etc representing an era that they had nothing to do with.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know. But we are trying to make a team for 80 s -90 s. keeping the years 78,79,80,01,02 only to make sure the spillovers are not missed out. But gilchrist or boycott would be obvious misfits. So the rule about debut and retirement dates. Shud make the selections tougher. But I don't want to see a team that reads Sehwag, Hayden, Gilly etc etc representing an era that they had nothing to do with.
But there is a slight problem here, isn't there? If they scored heavily (few centuries, good average), how did they not have anything to do with that era? I mean, Hayden had his watershed moment in India in 2001, so did Laxman. Dravid had already made quite a mark, so had Ponting, to a lesser degree. Kallis was a very fine all-rounder, since his bowling was at its peak. Maybe if you kept the date at 31 Dec 2000 (before we hit the new millennium), then we would not have those elements you speak of.

H4G

Banned
But there is a slight problem here, isn't there? If they scored heavily (few centuries, good average), how did they not have anything to do with that era? I mean, Hayden had his watershed moment in India in 2001, so did Laxman. Dravid had already made quite a mark, so had Ponting, to a lesser degree. Kallis was a very fine all-rounder, since his bowling was at its peak. Maybe if you kept the date at 31 Dec 2000 (before we hit the new millennium), then we would not have those elements you speak of.
This millennium started on 1-1-2000, not on 1-1-2001.

bagapath

International Captain
All those guys made their debuts in mid 90s. Hayden started even earlier. Sure, they belong to that era.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Round 1

1. Pothas - Imran Khan
2. Kingkallis -
3. Harsh - Shane Warne
4. Monk - Wasim Akram
5. Coronis - Malcolm Marshall
6. Morgieb - Richard Hadlee
7. Himannv - Mutthiah Muralithran
8. AndyZaltzHair - Glen McGrath