• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Great Leap Forward

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A subjective question, but in your opinion which decade since 1900 saw the biggest leap forward in cricket compared to the one that preceded it? You can take anything into account including playing standards, playing conditions, law changes.

I'll throw the 90s into the mix. The 80s were dominated by the WI. Aus were poor. There were only 7 Test teams etc. The 90s saw the rise of Aus and the challenge with WI in the mid 90s. Pakistan were exciting. There was the reintroduction of South Africa. Coloured clothing in the WC. Shane Warne bringing leg spin back to the back pages.

To me, and perhaps because I grew up in the decade, the 90s saw a massive improvement on the 80s.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The 70's. Many of innovations that came about and are still around today are the result of World Series Cricket - all a far cry from the stuffed shirts of the 60's.

archie mac

International Coach
I also think the 1970s with techo. helmets, ODI and Packer

An argument for the 1870s Test cricket and more regular OS cricket tours

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that the 1990's were great, but perhaps not a leap forward as such, but rather a return to what we'd seen in the 1970s in terms of competitiveness and standards.

I'd also put in a vote for the 1950s, as that was the first time there were more than two strong test sides. SA and WI both improved massively, and even Pakistan had their moments.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The 70's. Many of innovations that came about and are still around today are the result of World Series Cricket - all a far cry from the stuffed shirts of the 60's.
Agreed - after the 1960s almost killed the game (only the West Indies kept it alive as a spectacle for anyone other than the hardened cricket fan) something had to change and, fortunately, it did

BeeGee

International Captain
70s. As a young lad, the excitement of ODI cricket is what first drew my interest to international cricket.

social

Yep

Fielding and fast bowling took a quantum leap forward as did competitiveness of most countries

Also saw introduction of full-time professionalism, ODI cricket and day/night matches

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed - after the 1960s almost killed the game (only the West Indies kept it alive as a spectacle for anyone other than the hardened cricket fan) something had to change and, fortunately, it did
What happened in the 1960s? I have a rough idea but it'd be interesting to know more.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It is hard to argue against the 70s. WSC changed the game and the 60s was pretty dour cricket. The only issue I have - and to me it is a big deal - is that virtually the entire decade was without possibly it's strongest team. Lillee, in his prime, and Thomson and the great West Indian team never clashing with SA was a huge loss.

Last edited:

fredfertang

What happened in the 1960s? I have a rough idea but it'd be interesting to know more.
You got Test matches like this

... and there was a series between India and Pakistan in, I think, 1961, where all five Test were drawn (in fact I think every single match on the tour was drawn) and the scorcards make that Test look exciting - there really was some tedious stuff about

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You got Test matches like this

... and there was a series between India and Pakistan in, I think, 1961, where all five Test were drawn (in fact I think every single match on the tour was drawn) and the scorcards make that Test look exciting - there really was some tedious stuff about
There was also a lack of quality quicks. The second half of the 60s had McKenzie, Hall, Griffith, Snow and Pollock and not much beyond that. Certainly not a bad group but doesn't compare to those in the 70s, 80s and 90s IMO

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It is hard to argue against the 70s. WSC changed the game and the 60s was pretty dour cricket. The only issue I have - and to me it is a big deal - is that virtually the entire decade was without possibly it's strongest team. Lillee, in his prime, and Thomson and the great West Indian team never clashing with SA was a huge loss.
I think the Apartheid situation transcends cricket and was a massive leap forward for society.

One interesting aside though. The 1970 South Africa Tour to England was cancelled but a Rest of the World side toured instead and it included Richards, Proctor, Barlow and both Pollocks. So if they could be in the side why didn't they just pick a fully South African squad under the Rest of the World banner?

fredfertang

One interesting aside though. The 1970 South Africa Tour to England was cancelled but a Rest of the World side toured instead and it included Richards, Proctor, Barlow and both Pollocks. So if they could be in the side why didn't they just pick a fully South African squad under the Rest of the World banner?
I think even Peter Hain would have worked that one out, though probably not till after the series had finished

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think even Peter Hain would have worked that one out, though probably not till after the series had finished
I forgot to put the
at the end to indicate that it was a piss take at the folly of the situation - not least of all because half the Rest of the World team were black.

fredfertang

I forgot to put the
at the end to indicate that it was a piss take at the folly of the situation - not least of all because half the Rest of the World team were black.
Which raises an interesting and pertinent question - if you crossed Mike Procter with Garry Sobers would you end up with the greatest cricketer ever?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Which raises an interesting and pertinent question - if you crossed Mike Procter with Garry Sobers would you end up with the greatest cricketer ever?
No need to cross him with Proctor, Sobers already has that title - second only to Bradman as a batsman and Marshall as a bowler.