Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Leap Forward

still scratching around in the same old hole

The Great Leap Forward

A subjective question, but in your opinion which decade since 1900 saw the biggest leap forward in cricket compared to the one that preceded it? You can take anything into account including playing standards, playing conditions, law changes.

I'll throw the 90s into the mix. The 80s were dominated by the WI. Aus were poor. There were only 7 Test teams etc. The 90s saw the rise of Aus and the challenge with WI in the mid 90s. Pakistan were exciting. There was the reintroduction of South Africa. Coloured clothing in the WC. Shane Warne bringing leg spin back to the back pages.

To me, and perhaps because I grew up in the decade, the 90s saw a massive improvement on the 80s.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Captain
    The 70's. Many of innovations that came about and are still around today are the result of World Series Cricket - all a far cry from the stuffed shirts of the 60's.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    I also think the 1970s with techo. helmets, ODI and Packer

An argument for the 1870s Test cricket and more regular OS cricket tours
    You know it makes sense.

I agree that the 1990's were great, but perhaps not a leap forward as such, but rather a return to what we'd seen in the 1970s in terms of competitiveness and standards.

I'd also put in a vote for the 1950s, as that was the first time there were more than two strong test sides. SA and WI both improved massively, and even Pakistan had their moments.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    The 70's. Many of innovations that came about and are still around today are the result of World Series Cricket - all a far cry from the stuffed shirts of the 60's.
    Agreed - after the 1960s almost killed the game (only the West Indies kept it alive as a spectacle for anyone other than the hardened cricket fan) something had to change and, fortunately, it did

70s. As a young lad, the excitement of ODI cricket is what first drew my interest to international cricket.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Thought this thread was about the DVD of North's 1993 season
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

International Coach Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    I wish I had been alive to watch WSC live. Must have been amazing.

I would also pick the 90s. So many great bowlers.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Thought this thread was about the DVD of North's 1993 season
    Is it worth a look?

Hope we beat Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Yep

Fielding and fast bowling took a quantum leap forward as did competitiveness of most countries

Also saw introduction of full-time professionalism, ODI cricket and day/night matches
    Last edited by social; 28-04-2013 at 06:43 AM.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Agreed - after the 1960s almost killed the game (only the West Indies kept it alive as a spectacle for anyone other than the hardened cricket fan) something had to change and, fortunately, it did
    What happened in the 1960s? I have a rough idea but it'd be interesting to know more.
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

It is hard to argue against the 70s. WSC changed the game and the 60s was pretty dour cricket. The only issue I have - and to me it is a big deal - is that virtually the entire decade was without possibly it's strongest team. Lillee, in his prime, and Thomson and the great West Indian team never clashing with SA was a huge loss.
    Last edited by Goughy; 28-04-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GotSpin View Post
    What happened in the 1960s? I have a rough idea but it'd be interesting to know more.
    You got Test matches like this

... and there was a series between India and Pakistan in, I think, 1961, where all five Test were drawn (in fact I think every single match on the tour was drawn) and the scorcards make that Test look exciting - there really was some tedious stuff about

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    You got Test matches like this

... and there was a series between India and Pakistan in, I think, 1961, where all five Test were drawn (in fact I think every single match on the tour was drawn) and the scorcards make that Test look exciting - there really was some tedious stuff about
    There was also a lack of quality quicks. The second half of the 60s had McKenzie, Hall, Griffith, Snow and Pollock and not much beyond that. Certainly not a bad group but doesn't compare to those in the 70s, 80s and 90s IMO

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    It is hard to argue against the 70s. WSC changed the game and the 60s was pretty dour cricket. The only issue I have - and to me it is a big deal - is that virtually the entire decade was without possibly it's strongest team. Lillee, in his prime, and Thomson and the great West Indian team never clashing with SA was a huge loss.
    I think the Apartheid situation transcends cricket and was a massive leap forward for society.

One interesting aside though. The 1970 South Africa Tour to England was cancelled but a Rest of the World side toured instead and it included Richards, Proctor, Barlow and both Pollocks. So if they could be in the side why didn't they just pick a fully South African squad under the Rest of the World banner?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information