• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Great Leap Forward

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
00s worth considering? Advent of Twenty20, more money in the game than ever, squad rotation, centrally contracted players and a shift away from domestic cricket for the top players before a shift towards IPL etc?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
This'll sound a bit dumb, but bear with me...

I'm noticing a trend in society for a return to older, simpler things. Like hipster (and now other) chicks being in knitting/book clubs. People keeping chooks in backyards and growing vegies. Questioning rampant consumerism etc etc.

Just wondering if we'll see a bit of a revival of test cricket appreciation (as opposed to all the bull**** that goes along with the IPL etc). People realising that there's a lot to be appreciated there, in the same way that knitting and homegrown stuff can be pretty satisfying.

Maybe even a return to players wearing full whites with nothing on them apart from their country's badge.

One could only hope...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think the Apartheid situation transcends cricket and was a massive leap forward for society.

One interesting aside though. The 1970 South Africa Tour to England was cancelled but a Rest of the World side toured instead and it included Richards, Proctor, Barlow and both Pollocks. So if they could be in the side why didn't they just pick a fully South African squad under the Rest of the World banner?
Who was the full XI for the ROW and from which country did they hail.

Edit

From Australia: Graham McKenzie
From India: Farokh Engineer
From Pakistan: Intikhab Alam, Mushtaq Mohammad
From South Africa: Eddie Barlow, Graeme Pollock, Peter Pollock, Mike Procter, Barry Richards
From the West Indies: Lance Gibbs, Rohan Kanhai, Clive Lloyd, Deryck Murray, Garry Sobers

Last edited:

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
This'll sound a bit dumb, but bear with me...

I'm noticing a trend in society for a return to older, simpler things. Like hipster (and now other) chicks being in knitting/book clubs. People keeping chooks in backyards and growing vegies. Questioning rampant consumerism etc etc.

Just wondering if we'll see a bit of a revival of test cricket appreciation (as opposed to all the bull**** that goes along with the IPL etc). People realising that there's a lot to be appreciated there, in the same way that knitting and homegrown stuff can be pretty satisfying.

Maybe even a return to players wearing full whites with nothing on them apart from their country's badge.

One could only hope...
This, by God yes. Best post ever, please include in the book