Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dale Steyn among the top three pacers of all time, says Waqar Younis

Dale Steyn among the top three pacers of all time, says Waqar Younis

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Whether Steyn is in the top 3 pacers that I don"t know but what I know is Glenn Mc Grath is the greatest fast bowler to grace the cricket pitch.Steyn is a fine bowler , certainly takes poles faster than most.
    Last edited by Philhughesisbes; 26-04-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Just sounds like a coach pumping up his player,
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    yup, AWTA, but he is certainly rising pretty fast though. Wouldn't quite sat top three for me though.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Yeah, not top 3 for me atm, but he is certainly up there. Not the most ridiculous thing a former player has said, by a long way.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Yeah, not top 3 for me atm, but he is certainly up there. Not the most ridiculous thing a former player has said, by a long way.
    Yup. Steyn has the skills, presence and stats to match the best.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

I'm happy enough to put Steyn in my top 3 fast bowlers from the past 20-25 years.

He's behind McGrath and Ambrose but no one else is coming to me. Actually Waqar himself would probably be the closest.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Personally I'd put him neck-and-neck with Donald. You'd feel guilty leaving either out of your all-time SA eleven.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    Personally I'd put him neck-and-neck with Donald. You'd feel guilty leaving either out of your all-time SA eleven.
    No need to leave out either Donald or Steyn;

06. Aubrey Faulkner
    07. John Waite
    08. Mike Procter
    09. Hugh Tayfield
    10. Dale Steyn
    11. Allan Donald
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    No need to leave out either Donald or Steyn;

06. Aubrey Faulkner
    07. John Waite
    08. Mike Procter
    09. Hugh Tayfield
    10. Dale Steyn
    11. Allan Donald
    Yeh, I'd play him above Shaun Pollock. Particularly with Kallis in the team to bowl seam up medium pacers.

B. Richards
    G. Smith
    J. Kallis
    G. Pollock
    H. Amla
    A. Faulkner
    M. Procter
    M. Boucher
    H. Tayfield
    D. Steyn
    A. Donald

Amla had surpassed Nourse for you now Monk? Good team, I just wouldn't pick Boucher over Waite, have never been impressed by Boucher's keeping particularily to.spin.
    Last edited by kyear2; 27-04-2013 at 05:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I'm happy enough to put Steyn in my top 3 fast bowlers from the past 20-25 years.

He's behind McGrath and Ambrose but no one else is coming to me. Actually Waqar himself would probably be the closest.
    For the past 20 years, I would definately agree with that.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Steyn has played 65 Tests and almost 9 years worth of Test cricket. His record in that time is ridiculous. Combine that with his team successes and yes...discussions about being amongst the greatest ever shouldn't be alien anymore.
    ★★★★★

Banned
    Has had tremendous success both inside and outside the subcontinent which even a few of the greats from yesteryear could not manage. Definitely a top 3 bowler for mine behind Marshall and McGrath. The fact that he has done it in an era of flat pitches and skewed rules in favour of the batsmen makes him all the more praiseworthy. Another couple of years in similar vein and he'll knock off McG and MM IMHO.

U19 Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumbinfront View Post
    Has had tremendous success both inside and outside the subcontinent which even a few of the greats from yesteryear could not manage. Definitely a top 3 bowler for mine behind Marshall and McGrath. The fact that he has done it in an era of flat pitches and skewed rules in favour of the batsmen makes him all the more praiseworthy. Another couple of years in similar vein and he'll knock off McG and MM IMHO.
    Flat pitches and crappy batsmen ...Even in the 90s he would have had more problems getting wickets. He should be praised for being the best bowler we have today but to name him top 3 of all time is a bit extreme. These days batsmen are either good or terrible, there are not many mid range players like Carl Hooper, Jimmy Adams, Mike Atherton, Justin Langer, Alec Stewart, Mark Waugh etc etc..

Steyn will run into a WI team with no decent batsman who are averaging 22 and crap like that. Then you have the Marcus Norths and Shane Watson who can't stay out in the middle.

He's very good but I can't say he has been tested. He has never had to bowl an over like Michael Holding did to get Boycott out or his heroics of getting 14 wickets on a flat pitch.

He is way better than all the others today but the reason why he doesn't get compared to greats too often is because of the elephant in the room - he hasn't done much special against good players.

I love his pace (even tho he has been down recently) and only Shoaib Akhtar in recent time can mirror his record.. But I would even argue Akhtar was a greater threat than Steyn - he had a strike rate of 45 and avg of 25. Steyn also has a history of not getting wickets with the new ball - which to me is a big problem but it just speaks to how weak these batsman are today that even when they see off the danger man he still comes back and get wickets...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information