• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Memorable Start

the big bambino

International Captain
Great article Fred. I'm not a big fan of Gimblett as he seemed rather boastful about his career and appeared to me to be more selfish than troubled. maybe he was both Idk.

He loved to hear and tell the story of his debut innings and recall the look on Nichols' face when he hit him for boundaries. Robertson Glasgow described Nichols as an undemonstrative man and quiet for a fast bowler. Maybe he was taken aback by the youngster's agression that day.

But he never forgot and was good at settling old scores. He was good enough to get revenge on Yorkshire after all and may have kept Gimblett in mind for a bit of reckoning too. Their counties met on 7 more occasions up to the war which saw out Nichols' career. Nichols got him out 8 times. All under 20 with 3 ducks including a pair. Gimblett's ave against Essex fell to below 20 whenever the 2 sides met and Nichols played.

Of course it is a great story. But it has a sequel of quiet and unambiguous revenge that would've suited Nichols' temperament. And if the world didn't know about it Stan would've been happy that atleast Gimblett did.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
I find it hard to think of Gimblett without also thinking of Arthur Wellard, his near-contemporary at Somerset, and latterday equivalents Botham and Richards. Buttler and Trego are the nearest they have now I suppose, although they tend to rein it in a bit in four-day cricket.

Odd that I was reading about the Hobbs episode just a couple of days ago; the recent biography of the Master is my current lunchtime reading.