• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test batting line-ups

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England line-up that played when Hutton made his 364 is quite handy.

Hutton
B. Edrich
Leyland
Hammond
Paynter
Compton
Hardstaff

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
My initial thought was:

Greenidge
Fredericks
Richards
Rowe
Kallicharran
Lloyd

I don't really know if that top 6 ever played together and can't be arsed to look.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
West Indies in 1950 was pretty good

Rae
Stollmeyer
Weekes
Worrell
Walcott

is only five as the sixth batsman, Christiani, had a poor series but Gerry Gomez averaged more than 40 as well from seven in the order

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
My initial thought was:

Greenidge
Fredericks
Richards
Rowe
Kallicharran
Lloyd

I don't really know if that top 6 ever played together and can't be arsed to look.
I'd be surprised if they didn't play together at some points in the 1975/76 Aus series and the subsequent series against India, England and Pakistan. Maybe in India in 1974/75 as well.

chasingthedon

International Regular
I'd be surprised if they didn't play together at some points in the 1975/76 Aus series and the subsequent series against India, England and Pakistan. Maybe in India in 1974/75 as well.
Just two matches in Aus in 75-76, fair to say they didn't give of their best in what was not a happy series:-

1st Test: Australia v West Indies at Brisbane, Nov 28-Dec 2, 1975 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

3rd Test: Australia v West Indies at Melbourne, Dec 26-30, 1975 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Dazinho

School Boy/Girl Captain
Greenidge
Haynes
Richardson
Hooper
Richards
Lloyd
Dujon

Stands out from my childhood. Thought they were all so cool.
Swap Lloyd for Logie and that's the team I remember from mine,

Even in the autumn of their careers that West Indies side oozed menace both with bat and ball. Destructive strikers who could rapidly take a game away from you, backed up by bowling that combined elite level skill with constant stress and more than a little intimidation.

In absolute terms, the Australian line-up captained by Steve probably had the best depth of batting that I could remember. Finally getting them five down and seeing Gilchrist walk out shooting from the hip must be a demoralising experience.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Interestingly, the best New Zealand lineup I have seen went to England in 2004 and just didn't fire as a unit:

Richardson
Fleming
Astle
Styris
McMillan
Oram
McCullum
Cairns

watson

Banned
The 1983 NZ line-up may have been Kiwis strongest;

01. Glenn Turner
02. John Wright
03. Geoff Howarth
04. Martin Crowe
05. Bruce Edgar
06. Jeremy Coney
07. Richard Hadlee
08. Lance Cairns
09. Warren Lees
10. John Bracewell
11. Ewen Chatfield

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Windies....Haynes/ Greenidge/Richards/Kallicharan/Rowe/Llyod..ooph some line up..1979-80..Look at the bowlers as well..Great Team overall

2nd Test: Australia v West Indies at Melbourne, Dec 29, 1979 - Jan 1, 1980 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Yeah that's really the only one of the Windies line ups from the 80s which stands out to me as flat out brilliant when you assess the players individually, though I don't think Rowe probably ended up being as great as he ought to have.

Once you started getting the Hoopers and Logies in the team the line up wasn't as all-round good as the one you posted imo. Still some utter guns but the lesser players in the line ups weren't as good imo. Mind you, Dujon came in and was good enough to bat at six so that was a bonus to them.

Jezroy

State Captain
Interestingly, the best New Zealand lineup I have seen went to England in 2004 and just didn't fire as a unit:

Richardson
Fleming
Astle
Styris
McMillan
Oram
McCullum
Cairns
Plus Vettori was at 9.

Those tests were interesting as we weren't horrible, we just couldn't seal the deal.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I quite liked the Australian line-up in the 1993 Ashes:

1. Taylor
2. Slater
3. Boon
4. M. Waugh
5. Border
6. S. Waugh
7. Healy

Rock solid, albeit against Deadly Dev and friends.
Yeh, I liked the '89 Ashes team as well.

- Taylor
- Marsh
- Boon
- Border
- Jones
- S. Waugh
- Healy

Funny how certain eras stick in your memory. I was 12 at the time!