• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's happened to Chris Martin?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
No, he he started off in cricket, joined the NZ policeforce and but no it would be too hard to do them.

The NZC wouldnt be too impressed.
Imagine if he got injured arresting someone.

Actually that risk would be greater if he were an Aussie (so many convicts! ;))

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
lets not forget that there's also a number of jokes that can be applied the otherway.

But anyway...Chris Drum retired because he was going overseas, that is correct.
Chris Martin never retired, after the English test series in 2002 he got an injury & has never really gained any decent form back since then.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, not very well.
But I can assure you they've been playing their brand of rock for longer than Chris Martin has been playing top-level cricket. Indeed, that Chris Martin used to go to my Dad's old school, Exeter Cathedral (before my Dad became Headmaster).

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Chris is still playing for Canterbury, however you would not select him in a New Zealand side ahead of guys like Tuffey, Mason, Bond, Mills, Adams etc.

He is a very similar bowler to tuffey but tuffey puts the ball on the right spot a lot more often. With a fully fit Canterbury team I think Martin would struggle to make that team, but we always have so many injuries. Chris does struggle with injuries as well and would have to be the worst number 11 in the world.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
On the jobs aspect, Harbhajan is an honourary Superintendant in the Indian Police Force, having been a policeman throughout his career. He now holds more of a promotional role now in the force.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Yes indeed Harbhajan is a member of the Punjab Police.

Other cricketers with occupations:
Anil Kumble - Software Engineer (Aren't all Indians nowadays ) :lol:
Virender Sehwag - Butcher
Brett Lee - Suit Salesman
Nathan Hauritz - trainee Acountant
Wasim Jaffer - Accountant
Kaushalya Weeraratne - hospital scientist
Thinnu Yohannan - Teacher

and last but not least
Shane Warne, pharmaceuticals industry worker.

:D

iamdavid

International Debutant
Kumar Sangakkarra is a law student
VVS Laxman has a buisness degree
Steve Waugh owns a bank
his brother some stables

Craig

World Traveller
Actualy VVS Laxman was going to be a doctor, but gave cricket a go instead, his reasoning was if cricket didnt work out, he could go and become a doctor.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Actualy VVS Laxman was going to be a doctor, but gave cricket a go instead, his reasoning was if cricket didnt work out, he could go and become a doctor.
Fortunately for him and for sick people around the world, he's had a little success. :)

iamdavid

International Debutant
Craig said:
Your correct ,at 18 he gave himself 5 years to play for India or return to medicine , both his parents were doctors to.
Rahul Dravid is the one with the BD , got them mixed up:)
I know its one of them as I was talking to Sangrah about it last night.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
You mean the Kiwi bowler Chris Martin or a diffrent Chris Martin?
The player James has kindly imaged for us is the Kiwi bowler (in case anyone didn't know).
The Chris Martin who went to my Dad's old school isn't the Kiwi bowler pictured, he is the lead-singer of Coldplay, who is soon to be a father with Gwyneth Paltrow.

anzac

International Debutant
so far as I know Martin is still playing for Canterbury, but injuries have contributed to him not being able to regain his best form.

plus I think he has just turned 29 so he may have slipped down the list since Oram got into the side, and Butler seems to be the preferred option with Bond out.

:)

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
so far as I know Martin is still playing for Canterbury, but injuries have contributed to him not being able to regain his best form.
Yes that is correct. Saw him just a few weeks ago and he was injured again

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Indeed, that Chris Martin used to go to my Dad's old school, Exeter Cathedral (before my Dad became Headmaster).
Your dad is headmaster at ECS!??? Small world! Roger Twose went to my school, and his NZ world cup shirt has pride of place in the lunch hall...

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah, because Twose wasn't actually a Kiwi by birth, he was from England and gained selection through residency, or something like that, right?