• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shafted.............

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
OK, that makes sense now. Though it does sound like they were trying to do the right thing to start with but stuffed it all up. How old was Bond at this stage? Had he already retired from Test cricket?
This was before he retired from Test cricket. Maybe 29/30 years old?

Marius

International Debutant
On the subject of players shafted by the apartheid government, Basil D'Oliveira needs to be mentioned.
He still got a decent career in the end.

People who did get shafted by the apartheid government are non-whites who never got a chance to play at a proper level.

It's sad that I'm relatively knowledgeable about SA cricket but off the top of my head I can think of only three or four names of black SA cricketers who could have been greats if they hadn't played in an abnormal society.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure Hick was shafted but he was certainly dicked around and a victim of England's cricketing culture of the time.

I'd say Martyn Moxon was certainly treated poorly.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Martyn Moxon was more shafted by a New Zealand umpire than anything else. He had a highest Test score of 99, but during that innings he had three runs off the middle of his bat given as leg byes.

And of course he was recalled during the 1989 Ashes shambles for one Test. He got 0 in the first innings and then in the second innings Gower inexplicably decided to open the batting himself and Moxon ended up at Number 4, failed, and was never seen again.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
I'm not sure Hick was shafted but he was certainly dicked around and a victim of England's cricketing culture of the time.

A lot of the one-cap wonders of the 1980s and 1990s too.

Especially the guys who got an Oval test at the end of a series and were never picked for England again.

And that guy who played for England against the Rest of the World XI, did OK, but was never picked for England in an official Test match (although the ROW XI matches had Test status at the time he played).

Can't think of his name now, Alan Jones maybe?

EDIT: Yes, Alan Jones: Alan Jones | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I have a soft spot for David Steele.

He averaged 60 against Lillee and Thomson in 1975, then 31 against the Holding and Roberts in 1976. So his combined average after 8 Tests against 2 of the best bowling attacks ever assembled in cricket history was 42. And achieved with no prior Test match experience. An absolute novice!

Yet the thanks he got from the English selectors was a big **** off. I don't know about other people, but if I'd just spent the last 2 summers collecting bruises and ducking bounces for no reward then I'd be really pissed off.
I don't think he was best pleased.

The thinking seemed to be that because he'd done well against the quicks he ust be hopeless against the Indian spinners. You'd have thought he had earned the right to have a try, if nothing else.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Martyn Moxon was more shafted by a New Zealand umpire than anything else. He had a highest Test score of 99, but during that innings he had three runs off the middle of his bat given as leg byes.

And of course he was recalled during the 1989 Ashes shambles for one Test. He got 0 in the first innings and then in the second innings Gower inexplicably decided to open the batting himself and Moxon ended up at Number 4, failed, and was never seen again.
Did he end up on Gatting's trip to SA later that year?

I thought he was badly treated. Having done OK on his debut winter tours, I think he played a test or two in the mess that was the 1988 series against WI and then, as you say, was barely seen apart from a brief glimpse in the even bigger debacle in 1989. He certainly played fewer test in those series than Tim Curtis & Kim Barnett, who clearly had no sort of technique for that level.

fredfertang

I don't think he was best pleased.

The thinking seemed to be that because he'd done well against the quicks he ust be hopeless against the Indian spinners. You'd have thought he had earned the right to have a try, if nothing else.
There was a mischievous school of thought at the time that took the view that the selectors were worried that if he came off against the Indians too they would have looked incredibly stupid for having ignored him for so long

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There was a mischievous school of thought at the time that took the view that the selectors were worried that if he came off against the Indians too they would have looked incredibly stupid for having ignored him for so long
I think it was more likely to have been influenced by the criticism the selectors received for the selection of Barry Wood for the Indian Tour four years earlier. He'd made 90 on his debut at the end of the 72 Ashes Series which was good enough to earn a place on the tour, but many predicted he would struggle against an attack dominated by spin on turning wickets and they were proved right. I think they saw Steele as a similar case.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Martin Bicknell was shafted by England, picked against a very good Australian side in 93 and dumped because he didn't run through them then wasn't selected for another 10 years despite being the best bowler in county cricket season after season with Caddick. When you consider some of the other Surrey players who got picked instead it really beggars belief at the treatment of Bicknell.

fredfertang

Honourable mention to Glen Chapple - despite being heavily biased I've never been totally convinced he would have it cut it at international level, but he sure as hell earnt the opportunity to try - can't claim it's because Lanky players never get the nod, Chris Schofield (amongst others) is proof of that, so must be the colour of his hair - an outrageous prejudice imo

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Shafted , recalled, shafted, recalled and finally after the "Bunch of Jokers" comment Shafted ..Jimmy Amarnath..in a career spanning more than 2 decades played only 60 odd test matches.. One of the real greats against fast bowling..I mean the real fast variety..last of the great hookers a dying stroke in cricket....I genuinely feel that Murali Karthik should have played more..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Martin Bicknell was shafted by England, picked against a very good Australian side in 93 and dumped because he didn't run through them then wasn't selected for another 10 years despite being the best bowler in county cricket season after season with Caddick. When you consider some of the other Surrey players who got picked instead it really beggars belief at the treatment of Bicknell.
True and possibly Mark Ilott was similar. Personally I'd have taken Ilott but Bicknell was certainly a fine professional.