Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 76

Thread: Shafted.............

  1. #16
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post

    Shane Bond shafted by NZC.
    No expert on NZ cricket but he seemed to be injuried more often than not?
    You know it makes sense.

  2. #17
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,392
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    No expert on NZ cricket but he seemed to be injuried more often than not?
    He's talking about the year+ he missed when he signed up with the ICL with NZC's blessing.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.


    Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

  3. #18
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    He's talking about the year+ he missed when he signed up with the ICL with NZC's blessing.
    Not sure that is shafted though

  4. #19
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,392
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Not sure that is shafted though
    It is when the NZC said it'd be okay for Bond to play ICL only to subsequently discover that they were wrong and that it was not okay for Bond to play ICL and still be eligible for ICC sanctioned international tournaments. By allowing Bond to play ICL, NZC basically made him ineligible for international cricket unless Bond was willing to breach his ICL contract. It was a farce and the lack of expertise at the NZC effectively shafted Bond.


  5. #20
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    It is when the NZC said it'd be okay for Bond to play ICL only to subsequently discover that they were wrong and that it was not okay for Bond to play ICL and still be eligible for ICC sanctioned international tournaments. By allowing Bond to play ICL, NZC basically made him ineligible for international cricket unless Bond was willing to breach his ICL contract. It was a farce and the lack of expertise at the NZC effectively shafted Bond.
    OK, that makes sense now. Though it does sound like they were trying to do the right thing to start with but stuffed it all up. How old was Bond at this stage? Had he already retired from Test cricket?

  6. #21
    International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Posts
    14,392
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    OK, that makes sense now. Though it does sound like they were trying to do the right thing to start with but stuffed it all up. How old was Bond at this stage? Had he already retired from Test cricket?
    This was before he retired from Test cricket. Maybe 29/30 years old?

  7. #22
    International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Takasaki, Japan
    Posts
    4,502
    No, 32. Born in 1975, and this happened after the South African series in late 2007.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan


    Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

  8. #23
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    This was before he retired from Test cricket. Maybe 29/30 years old?
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    No, 32. Born in 1975, and this happened after the South African series in late 2007.
    No worries, thanks boys

  9. #24
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, BRD
    Posts
    22,915
    On the subject of players shafted by the apartheid government, Basil D'Oliveira needs to be mentioned.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

  10. #25
    U19 Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    On the subject of players shafted by the apartheid government, Basil D'Oliveira needs to be mentioned.
    He still got a decent career in the end.

    People who did get shafted by the apartheid government are non-whites who never got a chance to play at a proper level.

    It's sad that I'm relatively knowledgeable about SA cricket but off the top of my head I can think of only three or four names of black SA cricketers who could have been greats if they hadn't played in an abnormal society.

  11. #26
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,100
    I'm not sure Hick was shafted but he was certainly dicked around and a victim of England's cricketing culture of the time.

    I'd say Martyn Moxon was certainly treated poorly.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  12. #27
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,744
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

    I'd say Martyn Moxon was certainly treated poorly.
    Martyn Moxon was more shafted by a New Zealand umpire than anything else. He had a highest Test score of 99, but during that innings he had three runs off the middle of his bat given as leg byes.

    And of course he was recalled during the 1989 Ashes shambles for one Test. He got 0 in the first innings and then in the second innings Gower inexplicably decided to open the batting himself and Moxon ended up at Number 4, failed, and was never seen again.
    Last edited by Lillian Thomson; 24-04-2013 at 05:40 AM.

  13. #28
    U19 Cricketer
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I'm not sure Hick was shafted but he was certainly dicked around and a victim of England's cricketing culture of the time.

    I'd say Martyn Moxon was certainly treated poorly.
    A lot of the one-cap wonders of the 1980s and 1990s too.

    Especially the guys who got an Oval test at the end of a series and were never picked for England again.

    And that guy who played for England against the Rest of the World XI, did OK, but was never picked for England in an official Test match (although the ROW XI matches had Test status at the time he played).

    Can't think of his name now, Alan Jones maybe?

    EDIT: Yes, Alan Jones: Alan Jones | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
    Last edited by Marius; 24-04-2013 at 05:52 AM.

  14. #29
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,904
    Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    I have a soft spot for David Steele.

    He averaged 60 against Lillee and Thomson in 1975, then 31 against the Holding and Roberts in 1976. So his combined average after 8 Tests against 2 of the best bowling attacks ever assembled in cricket history was 42. And achieved with no prior Test match experience. An absolute novice!

    Yet the thanks he got from the English selectors was a big **** off. I don't know about other people, but if I'd just spent the last 2 summers collecting bruises and ducking bounces for no reward then I'd be really pissed off.
    I don't think he was best pleased.

    The thinking seemed to be that because he'd done well against the quicks he ust be hopeless against the Indian spinners. You'd have thought he had earned the right to have a try, if nothing else.

  15. #30
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Martyn Moxon was more shafted by a New Zealand umpire than anything else. He had a highest Test score of 99, but during that innings he had three runs off the middle of his bat given as leg byes.

    And of course he was recalled during the 1989 Ashes shambles for one Test. He got 0 in the first innings and then in the second innings Gower inexplicably decided to open the batting himself and Moxon ended up at Number 4, failed, and was never seen again.
    Did he end up on Gatting's trip to SA later that year?

    I thought he was badly treated. Having done OK on his debut winter tours, I think he played a test or two in the mess that was the 1988 series against WI and then, as you say, was barely seen apart from a brief glimpse in the even bigger debacle in 1989. He certainly played fewer test in those series than Tim Curtis & Kim Barnett, who clearly had no sort of technique for that level.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 873
    Last Post: 09-04-2013, 03:40 PM
  2. The 'unfairly shafted by Australian selectors' XI
    By LongHopCassidy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 11:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •