Thread: Great bowling and batting partnerships

International 12th Man

Great bowling and batting partnerships

In the thread with top order percentage stats for players I was interested in seeing Jim Laker's stats skew so heavily towards middle and top order players, especially considering he wouldn't have obviously bowled with the new ball. This made me look up his stats when bowling with various other players, Trueman, Statham, Wardle, Lock and so on.

I'd obviously known that Lock and Laker were a fearsome partnership that helped bowl England to being the best team in the world in the mid-50s, but their stats when bowling together are quite incredible.

They played 24 test matches together between 1952-1959.

Laker's stats - 119 wickets, 15.87 ave, 1.80 econ, 52.9 SR
    Lock's stats - 92 wickets, 20.40 ave, 1.85 econ, 65.9 SR

Interestingly, despite Lock having the reputation of being the more attacking of the two, Laker had a significantly better strike rate when they bowled together.

To go a bit further, if you look at their stats when they both played together at home, it's really ridiculous. In 16 tests the pair featured alongside each other in England, Laker took 81 wickets at 12.10 and Lock took 76 wickets at 12.64.

Has there ever been a more fearsome combination than facing Laker and Lock on an English turner?

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Marshall and Garner had a pretty good run while opening the bowling together. Mcgrath and Warne were just legendary.

Batting wise the obvious ones are Hayden and Langer, Hobbs and Sutcliffe, and I think Tendulkar and Dravid.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Wasim and Waqar were an awesome combo....although I am not sure their averages were anywhere close to 10 and 12
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by pskov View Post
    In the thread with top order percentage stats for players I was interested in seeing Jim Laker's stats skew so heavily towards middle and top order players, especially considering he wouldn't have obviously bowled with the new ball. This made me look up his stats when bowling with various other players, Trueman, Statham, Wardle, Lock and so on.

I'd obviously known that Lock and Laker were a fearsome partnership that helped bowl England to being the best team in the world in the mid-50s, but their stats when bowling together are quite incredible.

They played 24 test matches together between 1952-1959.

Laker's stats - 119 wickets, 15.87 ave, 1.80 econ, 52.9 SR
    Lock's stats - 92 wickets, 20.40 ave, 1.85 econ, 65.9 SR

Interestingly, despite Lock having the reputation of being the more attacking of the two, Laker had a significantly better strike rate when they bowled together.

To go a bit further, if you look at their stats when they both played together at home, it's really ridiculous. In 16 tests the pair featured alongside each other in England, Laker took 81 wickets at 12.10 and Lock took 76 wickets at 12.64.

Has there ever been a more fearsome combination than facing Laker and Lock on an English turner?
    The daft bit is that over that period England played, if my basic addition is correct, 53 Tests, and neither of them were injured for a significant period

Thread Information