• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Great bowling and batting partnerships

pskov

International 12th Man
In the thread with top order percentage stats for players I was interested in seeing Jim Laker's stats skew so heavily towards middle and top order players, especially considering he wouldn't have obviously bowled with the new ball. This made me look up his stats when bowling with various other players, Trueman, Statham, Wardle, Lock and so on.

I'd obviously known that Lock and Laker were a fearsome partnership that helped bowl England to being the best team in the world in the mid-50s, but their stats when bowling together are quite incredible.

They played 24 test matches together between 1952-1959.

Laker's stats - 119 wickets, 15.87 ave, 1.80 econ, 52.9 SR
Lock's stats - 92 wickets, 20.40 ave, 1.85 econ, 65.9 SR

Interestingly, despite Lock having the reputation of being the more attacking of the two, Laker had a significantly better strike rate when they bowled together.

To go a bit further, if you look at their stats when they both played together at home, it's really ridiculous. In 16 tests the pair featured alongside each other in England, Laker took 81 wickets at 12.10 and Lock took 76 wickets at 12.64. :blink:

Has there ever been a more fearsome combination than facing Laker and Lock on an English turner?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall and Garner had a pretty good run while opening the bowling together. Mcgrath and Warne were just legendary.

Batting wise the obvious ones are Hayden and Langer, Hobbs and Sutcliffe, and I think Tendulkar and Dravid.

smash84

The Tiger King
Wasim and Waqar were an awesome combo....although I am not sure their averages were anywhere close to 10 and 12

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the thread with top order percentage stats for players I was interested in seeing Jim Laker's stats skew so heavily towards middle and top order players, especially considering he wouldn't have obviously bowled with the new ball. This made me look up his stats when bowling with various other players, Trueman, Statham, Wardle, Lock and so on.

I'd obviously known that Lock and Laker were a fearsome partnership that helped bowl England to being the best team in the world in the mid-50s, but their stats when bowling together are quite incredible.

They played 24 test matches together between 1952-1959.

Laker's stats - 119 wickets, 15.87 ave, 1.80 econ, 52.9 SR
Lock's stats - 92 wickets, 20.40 ave, 1.85 econ, 65.9 SR

Interestingly, despite Lock having the reputation of being the more attacking of the two, Laker had a significantly better strike rate when they bowled together.

To go a bit further, if you look at their stats when they both played together at home, it's really ridiculous. In 16 tests the pair featured alongside each other in England, Laker took 81 wickets at 12.10 and Lock took 76 wickets at 12.64. :blink:

Has there ever been a more fearsome combination than facing Laker and Lock on an English turner?
The daft bit is that over that period England played, if my basic addition is correct, 53 Tests, and neither of them were injured for a significant period