Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Graphs of Wickets by Batting Order for Good Bowlers

International Captain kingkallis's Avatar
    Kapil Dev, such a gun!
    CricZo XI - Draft League

Season 1 M Hayden, G Gooch, R Dravid, W Hammond, K Pietersen, G Sobers, R Marsh (wk), R Benaud (c), D Steyn, W Hall, N Adcock

Season 2 J Hobbs, B Richards, D Boon, H Taylor, C Lloyd (c), A Stewart (wk), T Goddard, A Davidson, H Tayfield, C Ambrose, H Griffith

Season 3 H Sutcliffe, M Hayden, I Chappell (c), G Pollock, A Faulkner, M Hussey, D Lindsay (wk), I Botham, A Kumble, M Marshall, D Lillee

U19 Debutant
    I second that... Kapil Dev Nikhanj what a superstar..

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    nice work.

reckon it would be interesting (and i guess impossible) to show the strike rate for bowlers against the three categories
    Thanks

Nah, I don't think that's possible.

I was thinking of putting in some comparisons with respect to bowlers who we usually compare. So, first the 90s generation of pacers - Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar, Donald ( I am excluding McGrath because his figures transcend those of the others since he played well into a different era of flat pitches)

Last edited by harsh.ag; 22-04-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Yes thanks harsh, top job

Was mildly surprised at the figures for Botham as he always seemed so good at coming back and knocking over the tail.

The other thing Botham was absolutely brilliant at, and this isn't intended as a criticism of him in any way, was taking wickets with ****e deliveries - shame that is so subjective, else I'd invite you to a graph for that too

Banned
    I don't really consider the percentage of top-order wickets as a good indicator of how good a bowler is, because for example:

Suppose Bowler A takes 3/50 with the wickets being the top 3, and Bowler B takes 7/50, including the top 3, but also takes out four other batsmen, his percentage of top-order wickets actually goes down... he gets punished for being better

In isolation it's a stat which doesn't really tell us much in my opinion, but the effort put into the graphs is much appreciated, top effort. But it does indicate how deadly bowlers like McGrath were with the new ball (large chunk of his new ball victims being Atherton).

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    The other thing Botham was absolutely brilliant at, and this isn't intended as a criticism of him in any way, was taking wickets with ****e deliveries - shame that is so subjective, else I'd invite you to a graph for that too
    Ha, yeah... my dad would never shut up about how Botham would take bagfuls of wickets by just bowling pies outside off which would somehow end up in the hands of a fielder.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    I was looking forward to Srinath's wickets....you didn't post them harsh
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Banned
    The breakup for Steyn could be quite interesting... he's great with the new ball, obviously, but plenty of times, he's come back and cleaned up the tail pretty quickly. I reckon he'll have a comparatively higher number of lower order wickets

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Yes thanks harsh, top job

Was mildly surprised at the figures for Botham as he always seemed so good at coming back and knocking over the tail.

Thanks, Fred Nice to get appreciation from you.

Useful figures overall, aren't they? Yeah, Botham's were the pretty mild compared to others.

Here are Willis' numbers (much better than Botham)

Quote Originally Posted by Satyanash89 View Post
    The breakup for Steyn could be quite interesting... he's great with the new ball, obviously, but plenty of times, he's come back and cleaned up the tail pretty quickly. I reckon he'll have a comparatively higher number of lower order wickets
    I already put Steyn's graph up. The numbers are in there.

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    I was looking forward to Srinath's wickets....you didn't post them harsh
    Here you go, smali. Yeah, I didn't think of him to be honest (Fat lot of an Indian fan I am )

Great stats for him. Must say.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    thanks for this harsh......yep, more than 3 quarters of Srinath's wickets were in the top order. I remember Srinath bowling 92-93 mph in the 99 WC. I thought he was pretty quick for an Indian fast bowler up till that point

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    I already put Steyn's graph up. The numbers are in there.
    Ah my bad, somehow missed it... cheers

OMG YUS A THREAD WITH GRAPHS IN

I mean, ah, that's interesting Harsh. One thing I notice is that Underwood seemed to take relatively few tailend wickets compared to all the other spinners.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    OMG YUS A THREAD WITH GRAPHS IN

I mean, ah, that's interesting Harsh. One thing I notice is that Underwood seemed to take relatively few tailend wickets compared to all the other spinners.
    Thank you.

True about Underwood.

The bowlers with the lowest tail-end per cent are

Bond - 17.2 (Small sample though)
    Sylvestre Clarke - 19.0 (Very small sample again 42 wickets in total. Statistically not enough to make comparisons)
    Larwood - 19.2
    Cowie (Same as Clarke, his 9 tests and 45 wickets are barely a sample) - 22.2
    Miller - 22.4 (The best of the all-rounders by far)
    Fazal Mahmood - 23.7

P.S. Added Peter Pollock to SA's post, if anybody is interested (Page 1)

International 12th Man
    Interesting to me is the difference between Laker and Wardle. Considering they played together a lot, it seems that Laker got the batsmen out and Wardle cleaned up the tail.

Well obviously not to that simplistic extreme, but it does seem a significant discrepancy in the stats between the two.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information