Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homegrown vs. imported coaches

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar

Homegrown vs. imported coaches

Would prefer this not to turn into an 'Arthur sucks' vs. 'he just asked them to do a simple task' echo chamber.

Certainly Flower and Fletcher did England a world of good, while on the other side of the fence Australia's win/loss record in Tests has a quite sobering correlation between the beginning of Simpson and the exit of Nielsen.

Chappell was howled out of his India gig for failing to bond with his team socially and culturally, but even a domestic stalwart like Hesson isn't above skullduggery (your Honour ), and Ottis Gibson hasn't given Windies cricket an overdue kick up the arse.

Over to you.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Much prefer homegrown if the talent is there. On the other hand a fresh set of eyes can be useful in many situations and look players can clearly change nations successfully so that kind of pride or whatever you want to call it is either unnecessary or transferable
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

U19 12th Man
    The best coach regardless.

But if money is short, obviously local is better

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    HBR did a review of CEO appointments. 80% of companies went for a CEO outside of their company when their business performance was low. When things were going well they did an internal appointment.

Perhaps coach appointments should be similar. If things are going well appoint a home grown coach - if you need a fresh perspective hire an overseas one.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    From memory, India's performances were trending up initially with Chappell too.

It's an interesting question, though. How relevant is local knowledge in an age when players of national interest pretty much stop playing locally early? And how do you judge 'success'? Results only or improvement? Or how they're regarded by the players?

If I had to use a South Aussie example, unabashed South Aussie Jeff Hammond took SA to a Shield final, a Shield win the following year but got out the next year when performances started heading south badly. Contrast that with a foreigner*, Darren Berry, who has taken SA, with line-up of bats where the tail starts at 4, to a couple of T20 and LO Cup wins. And they've certainly increased their chances of winning Shield games, finishing bottom in a season so closely contested top and bottom were still in question in the last round. Berry has, by all indications, brought a similar ethos to the SA team that Hammond did. Both Hammond and Berry had 'foreign' skippers too.

*Berry played some early-career Shield cricket here so does have some local knowledge, I guess.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    I mean instinctively one would prefer a native coach as bringing in a "foreigner" seems a tacit admission the domestic system is broken, but realistically it should be the best man for the job.

Flower getting the England gig was a fortuitous piece of happenstance rather than a masterstroke (famously Pietersen, showing the acumen he's rightly renowned for, wanted shot of him as batting coach when he was captain) but he's definitely been what we needed. A calm, steady hand on the tiller and a pragmatist.

Could one really say that of Mickey Arthurs? Or, indeed, Duncan Fletcher?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    i don't care what country you come from if you are the best person for the job, and i don't really think coming from country x instead of country y makes too big a difference in whether you are the best person for the job
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Homegrown ends up like a "jobs for the boys" effort far too often for my taste. Often if they're recent ex-players you also have problems with distance

H4G
    Banned
    Make someone sensible(for example what Imran Khan was for Pakistan in past) the captain & let him be the coach & manager as well.Professional coaches should teach youngsters in academies & should probably tour with U19s & below. Thats because I think if any side has ever done well Coach has had very little or none to do with it.

And let me say that post of coach is completely useless especially for Asian teams as they put negative impact by cause further division in the team by involving themselves in politics which goes around there.All all of this obviously affects the performance of players
    Last edited by H4G; 22-04-2013 at 02:54 PM.

International Vice-Captain
    Hope no one takes Darren Lehman,hoping he takes over from Arthurs,and soon.

**** yeah. we want boof

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    God. This place has gone to the dogs.

Chris Rogers.
    Ian Chappell.
    Darren Lehmann.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

darren lehmann peruses cw:

discovers user benchmark00 has a distaste for him:

not concerned:

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    It would make sense if you were Darren Lehmann actually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information