• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Homegrown vs. imported coaches

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Would prefer this not to turn into an 'Arthur sucks' vs. 'he just asked them to do a simple task' echo chamber.

Certainly Flower and Fletcher did England a world of good, while on the other side of the fence Australia's win/loss record in Tests has a quite sobering correlation between the beginning of Simpson and the exit of Nielsen.

Chappell was howled out of his India gig for failing to bond with his team socially and culturally, but even a domestic stalwart like Hesson isn't above skullduggery (your Honour :ph34r:), and Ottis Gibson hasn't given Windies cricket an overdue kick up the arse.

Over to you.

uvelocity

International Coach
Much prefer homegrown if the talent is there. On the other hand a fresh set of eyes can be useful in many situations and look players can clearly change nations successfully so that kind of pride or whatever you want to call it is either unnecessary or transferable

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
HBR did a review of CEO appointments. 80% of companies went for a CEO outside of their company when their business performance was low. When things were going well they did an internal appointment.

Perhaps coach appointments should be similar. If things are going well appoint a home grown coach - if you need a fresh perspective hire an overseas one.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From memory, India's performances were trending up initially with Chappell too.

It's an interesting question, though. How relevant is local knowledge in an age when players of national interest pretty much stop playing locally early? And how do you judge 'success'? Results only or improvement? Or how they're regarded by the players?

If I had to use a South Aussie example, unabashed South Aussie Jeff Hammond took SA to a Shield final, a Shield win the following year but got out the next year when performances started heading south badly. Contrast that with a foreigner*, Darren Berry, who has taken SA, with line-up of bats where the tail starts at 4, to a couple of T20 and LO Cup wins. And they've certainly increased their chances of winning Shield games, finishing bottom in a season so closely contested top and bottom were still in question in the last round. Berry has, by all indications, brought a similar ethos to the SA team that Hammond did. Both Hammond and Berry had 'foreign' skippers too.

*Berry played some early-career Shield cricket here so does have some local knowledge, I guess.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I mean instinctively one would prefer a native coach as bringing in a "foreigner" seems a tacit admission the domestic system is broken, but realistically it should be the best man for the job.

Flower getting the England gig was a fortuitous piece of happenstance rather than a masterstroke (famously Pietersen, showing the acumen he's rightly renowned for, wanted shot of him as batting coach when he was captain) but he's definitely been what we needed. A calm, steady hand on the tiller and a pragmatist.

Could one really say that of Mickey Arthurs? Or, indeed, Duncan Fletcher?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i don't care what country you come from if you are the best person for the job, and i don't really think coming from country x instead of country y makes too big a difference in whether you are the best person for the job

Valer

First Class Debutant
Homegrown ends up like a "jobs for the boys" effort far too often for my taste. Often if they're recent ex-players you also have problems with distance

H4G

Banned
Make someone sensible(for example what Imran Khan was for Pakistan in past) the captain & let him be the coach & manager as well.Professional coaches should teach youngsters in academies & should probably tour with U19s & below. Thats because I think if any side has ever done well Coach has had very little or none to do with it.

And let me say that post of coach is completely useless especially for Asian teams as they put negative impact by cause further division in the team by involving themselves in politics which goes around there.All all of this obviously affects the performance of players

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
yeah i'd hate to be a successful test match batsman and domestic cricket coach. scathing.

same haircut too, what a good looking man he is