• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best current spinner

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
In response to BeeGee's thread I thought I would start this one (kidding, I was going to anyway).

Pick your best current spinner for each format from these (or others) choices. Feel free to pick a few for each if you like and let me know if I forgot anyone important. Also consider their input with the bat to a degree.
Swann
Panesar
Lyon
Doherty
Robin Peterson
Bruce Martin
Vettori
Ashwin
Ohja
Jadeja
Herath
Ajantha Mendis
Ajmal
Rehman
Shillingford
Narine
Sohag Gazi
Greame Cremer (had to put a Zim player in there)

My choices are... (in order of preference from left to right)
tests: Herath, Swann, Ajmal,
ODIs: Narine, Ajmal, Herath,
t20s: Narine, Ajmal, Ashwin

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If there was any doubt left, I think Ajmal's series just gone in South Africa removed it. A clear #1 now IMO, and I don't like admitting it but it's true.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.

Expressway76

U19 Vice-Captain
Ajmal even though I despise him like everybody else except his mother seems to do. It's not only the obvious chucking but that little pause he does in his delivery.

Khaseer

Cricket Spectator
In tests I think its very close between ajmal and swann, ajmal much better when conditions suit him though but he pwns everyone in limited overs.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lots of Ajmal love-hate. Isn't Ajmal's action cleared by ICC? (I really don't know, not trolling)

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Ajmal even though I despise him like everybody else except his mother seems to do. It's not only the obvious chucking but that little pause he does in his delivery.
:laugh: :laugh:

The fact that him and Shillingford are allowed to keep bowling seems to say that there is something wrong with how the ICC clears bowlers.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah get over it boys, his action has been cleared. Its really annoying when you whine about it every time he bowls well.