• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mike Denness Dies

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Poor guy, funny thing is that I've just been watching Robelinda's videos about the ball-tampering thing in 2001 just in the last 2 days.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Another of my boyhood memories bites the dust. 72 isn't very old nowadays. It wasn't his fault that he was promoted beyond his capabilities wrt the England captaincy, and it certainly wasn't his fault that Lillee & Thomson were far too good for him, Amiss, Edrich et al. Vale and RIP.

Satyanash89

Banned
Poor guy, funny thing is that I've just been watching Robelinda's videos about the ball-tampering thing in 2001 just in the last 2 days.
Heh, same here. Shame his refereeing career was effectively ended by that incident... Sachin, what a **** :ph34r:

Another famous cricket figure lost to cancer :(
RIP

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** that's dreadful - the only England captain I have ever spoken to, and that was only a couple of months ago - he sounded fine then, but clearly wasn't - appreciate it all the more now that he took the trouble to return my call in the first place.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Vale.

As with CMJ I had no idea he was poorly, even. :(

Always struck one as a genuinely good chap. Unfortunately it's the case that such fellows don't always make the best leaders. A real cricket man tho and someone who patently loved the sport.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
RIP. He played a huge part as a player and as captain during my County's most successful period, especially in One-Day Cricket.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A real surprise this. His time at Essex was a bit before my watching years, but he formed a bit of a Scottish connection with Brian Hardie for us for a couple of years.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
:no:

A bit before my time, and Hibernially challenged, but yet another bad loss.

This is the first thing
I have understood:
Time is the echo of an axe
Within a wood.

stumpski

International Captain
:no:

A bit before my time, and Hibernially challenged, but yet another bad loss.

This is the first thing
I have understood:
Time is the echo of an axe
Within a wood.
Hibernia was Ireland in fact, although the 'Hibs' football team could easily mislead. 'Caledonially' might have been the word you wanted.

RIP Mike, and another loss from that epochal '74-75 series. Almost all have been English (Cowdrey, Greig, Luckhurst, Titmus, now Denness) vs Jenner of Australia. I suppose we had the older side though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hibernia was Ireland in fact, although the 'Hibs' football team could easily mislead. 'Caledonially' might have been the word you wanted.

RIP Mike, and another loss from that epochal '74-75 series. Almost all have been English (Cowdrey, Greig, Luckhurst, Titmus, now Denness) vs Jenner of Australia. I suppose we had the older side though.
Add to that list other 1970's performers Woolmer, Roope & Dilley and I'm feeling all too mortal right now. There's probably others that I've forgotten.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Very tragic. I honestly didn't know he was unwell and into his seventies, would have put him in his mid-sixties. :(