• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McCullum to take legal action over Parker report

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I thought this properly deserves it's own thread, as opposed to dumping it in the "Taylor to be axed from the captaincy" thread.

Brendon McCullum taking legal action | Stuff.co.nz

McCullum's lawyers at Chapman Tripp confirmed that proceedings for defamation against Parker, will be filed in the High Court at Hamilton early next week.

"Mr Parker's paper makes some very serious attacks on my integrity, my honesty andmy ethics as a professional sportsman. I have endeavoured to resolve these issues with Mr Parker but have been unable to do so. He has left me with no choice but to defend myself and my reputation this way," McCullum said.

McCullum is paying for the case himself and said he is not seeking monetary damages from Parker.

"I simply want his acknowledgment that the claims he makes are completely false."

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ack. Can't say I'm surprised.

And it's going to be very hard for Parker to legally substantiate his claims, you'd think.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ack. Can't say I'm surprised.

And it's going to be very hard for Parker to legally substantiate his claims, you'd think.
Yeah, presumably the only people who know for certain whether McCullum was consulted prior to the Taylor axing are Hesson and McCullum themselves.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
This is just ridiculous, how is this any good for the performance of NZ Cricket.
Can you imagine Michael Clarke suing Thompson for instance and I dont even think a Pakistani captain has tried to sue an administrator / former player.

Can you imagine the farce if this proceeds to trial

I really cant see that happening, but imagine if Ross (or any other past or present cricketer/coach) agree to testify, just STUPID!!!!!!!

Only reasons I can come up for BMac doing this is
- he wants to stop it being able to be discussed in the media
- he is really offended that someone who doesn't like him essentially calling him a d**k
or
- it is possible that BMac is playing a short game to leave the litigation out there to try and stop Parker et. al. standing for the board, than he withdraws the suit.

When you count that against all the negative impacts this will have on the performance of his NZ team, you really have to wonder....

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Phew, it's a relief we have this soap opera to keep us entertained through this cricket-less period.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
- he is really offended that someone who doesn't like him essentially calling him a d**k
Tbf he's been besmirched as a "mostly injured", capricious and wholly self-interested liar, in a document attributed to the likes of Jeremy Coney and other figures held in very high esteem. I'd sue, even if I was those things.

Also, a golden chance to highlight for the public exactly why they can't turn back the clock to say a Bob Jones or Mystery Morrison, 'wimp walloping' era of a cantankerous Dad's army running the game. Expose the befuddlement of these sad old former alpha male elders, waiting forlornly for the kid who lives next door to come over and do their email attachments and private recipient lists.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf he's been besmirched as a "mostly injured", capricious and wholly self-interested liar, in a document attributed to the likes of Jeremy Coney and other figures held in very high esteem. I'd sue, even if I was those things.
This.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Yeah AWTA @ Kippers. Not surprising that he'd decided to sue. Pretty stupid of Parker you'd think and he's going to have a hard time defending his stance.

Jezroy

State Captain
Serious question for anyone that might know better - do McCullum and Taylor get on off the field. Always got the impression that they used to.

But surely Taylor now thinks this whole thing is just an absolute farce. He's certainly not stupid, seems to me to be quite an introverted thinker.

TBF, good on McCullum for doing this.

From stuff today -

--------------

When Parker raised the issue publicly again this month, claiming to have a historical document, Gallaway said he had never seen McCullum so upset.

"Brendon's honesty has been questioned while the document also went on to mention that he picked and chose when he played for the team. That was deeply hurtful and he wants his name cleared," Gallaway said.

-----------

I hate nothing more than being accused of something I didn't do. It drives me mental.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain

Also, a golden chance to highlight for the public exactly why they can't turn back the clock to say a Bob Jones or Mystery Morrison, 'wimp walloping' era of a cantankerous Dad's army running the game. Expose the befuddlement of these sad old former alpha male elders, waiting forlornly for the kid who lives next door to come over and do their email attachments and private recipient lists.
I dont think he will be able to touch any one except Parker, (the rest have just admitted to supporting Parker).

If Parker and McCullum take this to court, Parker could call on any number of the agreved former coaches , ie Moles, Greatbatch, Mortimer, Woodhouse, Wright, there is a long list, to testify against him. Even if McCullum wins he still ends up covered in muck.

This will probably be heard about the time of the Winidies tour ie. 6 months time and it just provides a huge detraction to the team and McCullum, and quite frankly he is starting to run out of time to shape his team that will win the 2015 world cup.

On a side note does anyone thing Hesson has a case, there is talk that he is considering his options. I can't remember the full details of the letter and Vietch has deleted it off his site.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Meh, they got to John Parker. Probably threatnened his family.

As such, there is no longer any voice crying from the wilderness. White and Hesson have won.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
If Parker wanted to be anything other than a case study for second year law students, then he should've made damn sure that he had some credible facts and witnesses to substantiate his ridiculously over-the-top claims.

As for Hesson, he's the coach of the national side. If the team is winning he'll keep his job. If they're losing he'll be gone as quickly as every other coach in the last 5 years.

Now for something to make everyone feel better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=w03QKcN4EDs