• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lokomotiv's Proposed Changes to Cricket

MCC111

Cricket Spectator
Bowlers would change approach to concentrate on run containment at the expense of planning wicket taking plays.
Batsmen would adapt and dilute the principle of playing the ball on its merit.
In-ring fielders would gain more prominence.
Slips would be in danger of becoming extinct.
Test cricket would be in danger of resembling the boring middle overs of ODI cricket.
I agree - it wouldn't be good for the game. Wickets are exciting - much more so than maidens. You might find batsmen going for more risky runs on the basis that they either hit out or get out, but that's likely to end in run-outs which IMO are the most terrible of wickets. My biggest fear would be the reduction in risk taking by the bowlers.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Bowlers would change approach to concentrate on run containment at the expense of planning wicket taking plays.
Batsmen would adapt and dilute the principle of playing the ball on its merit.
In-ring fielders would gain more prominence.
Slips would be in danger of becoming extinct.
Test cricket would be in danger of resembling the boring middle overs of ODI cricket.
OK, I understand your point.

Your 1st point: Bowlers would change approach to concentrate on run containment at the expense of planning wicket taking plays.

Is it possible to avoid this by making wide-ball more strict?

So what do you think about my suggestion of changing 50-over game to 2 20-over innings game?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
OK, I understand your point.

Your 1st point: Bowlers would change approach to concentrate on run containment at the expense of planning wicket taking plays.

Is it possible to avoid this by making wide-ball more strict?

So what do you think about my suggestion of changing 50-over game to 2 20-over innings game?
No one is going to seriously answer this Loko - you have asked these questions already ten times. If you have some new ideas post them - if not then don't recycle the same stuff.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think I've said this before, but it would not bother me in the slightest if the maiden rule was in place in T20 matches. In fact, I'll go a step further and say that I would enjoy the rule.

BeeGee

International Captain
I think I've said this before, but it would not bother me in the slightest if the maiden rule was in place in T20 matches. In fact, I'll go a step further and say that I would enjoy the rule.
On the rare occasion when I've been able to have a maiden during a T20, I've really enjoyed it. Really, REALLY enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Limited-Over games -- 1 over 6 balls
First Class games -- 1 over 8 balls

What do you think about this change?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Limited-Over games -- 1 over 6 balls
First Class games -- 1 over 8 balls

What do you think about this change?
Perhaps if you think there should be a change, you could provide at least one reason of why you think it's a good idea. Then people might engage in conversation more.

So, lokomotiv, what do you think of returning to 8 ball overs for FC games?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The problem they had in Australia when 8 ball overs were de riguer was, I believe, that they could no longer find enough umpires who could count to 8

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Perhaps if you think there should be a change, you could provide at least one reason of why you think it's a good idea. Then people might engage in conversation more.

So, lokomotiv, what do you think of returning to 8 ball overs for FC games?
Under the old Laws, 1 over was 6 or 8 balls.
In order to differentiation, First Class Cricket should have 1 over 8 balls system, and it reduces the number of break between overs, thereby reducing the number of draws and declarations.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The problem they had in Australia when 8 ball overs were de riguer was, I believe, that they could no longer find enough umpires who could count to 8
It was also advantageous in England. The less an unwashed English arbiter is required to walk between central and square leg, the less he smells at the end of the day.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In order to differentiation, First Class Cricket should have 1 over 8 balls system, and it reduces the number of break between overs, thereby reducing the number of draws and declarations.
I'll give you a serious answer because I have wondered about this topic from time to time. I think given that bowlers used to bowl 8 ball overs it is possible. However what you will see happening is fast bowlers getting through much shorter spells (even accounting for the extra deliveries per over). When I bowl medium pace I start to feel stuffed on the 5th ball of the over and i am ready for a break after 6 balls. If I had to bowl 8 ball overs i could probably only get through 3 overs before I would have to be taken off. But I am quite unfit. So an international cricketer may get through 4 overs or 5 at most. This means spells of 32-40 balls at most. In current spells of 6-8 overs. Bowlers get through 36-48 balls. That will reduce the impact of role of fast bowlers somewhat.

BeeGee

International Captain
Livin' la vida loko

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was also advantageous in England. The less an unwashed English arbiter is required to walk between central and square leg, the less he smells at the end of the day.
Imagine what it must have been like in Victorian times - 4 ball overs and no hot running water in the dressing rooms