• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lokomotiv's Proposed Changes to Cricket

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have a look at the posts of the "people like this".......he has also suggested cricket use round bats like baseball.

Seriously mods, time to do something about these Locko threads...........beyond unfunny now surely??
I agree with you 100%, but the majority of people who will spend money on cricket may disagree it seems. There is one all powerful motivating force for the powers guiding Cricket, and that's $$$.

Just look at the Big Bash taking almost 2 months. Complete joke.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Have a look at the posts of the "people like this".......he has also suggested cricket use round bats like baseball.

Seriously mods, time to do something about these Locko threads...........beyond unfunny now surely??
I posted that in "General Sports Forum" under the title "bat/ball sports". I simply wanted to see an exhibition game using Baseball-style bats, not seriously suggesting a change of the Laws of Cricket.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with you 100%, but the majority of people who will spend money on cricket may disagree it seems. There is one all powerful motivating force for the powers guiding Cricket, and that's $$$.

Just look at the Big Bash taking almost 2 months. Complete joke.
I don't think anyone that spends money to go watch test cricket would disagree with me. Sure there will be T20 or ODI fans that would rather watch paint dry than watch a day of test cricket, I get that.....but surely we are talking different markets here??

To go back to the original point, draws are a part and parcel of test cricket. Any change in the rules to reduce or eliminate them would go against what test cricket is all about (with the exception of more bowler friendly wickets but again, that's another discussion) **** with test cricket and you won't get new fans you'll just lose the ones you've already got IMO.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, alienating the existing fanbase is never much of a good idea, do we really want test cricket to end up like green-day?

TheJediBrah

If it was up to me then Tests would always be the pinnacle and T20s should remain a side show, but when the general public speaks through ticket sales there's no way you can stop the slide.

Big Bash games have been getting massive attendances, and probably will get ratings when on Channel 10 this season, whereas look at Shield games and Ryobi cup . . . 50 people go if your lucky. Even Tests are getting lower attendance than Big Bash.

There will always be plenty of Hard-core Test fans (at least for the next 20 years, but who knows what the next generation will prefer) but T20's popularity speaks for itself and will become more important while ODI dies and Tests become less important.

I can't see other likely occurrence.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
And as I've said to you before, spend some time watching and appreciating test cricket before trying to fix it. Then you may be in a position to make comment on it.

This forum is full of enthusiasts, we like the game.....no one here thinks test crickets needs to be sped up, not many think that draws (in most cases) are a problem. Test cricket is a very very unique sport, it is not to everyones liking and I'm sure the majority of the world would not understand at all how people like us can sit for 5 days straight enthralled and when the result does end up a draw declare we've just witnessed one of the greatest sporting events ever..........but we understand, because we appreciate it for what it is.

I've never watched a baseball game, I've never had any inclination to..........but I also have never gone onto a baseball forum telling folk there who have spent years watching and loving their game how it should be more like cricket.
Thank you. It is true that I do not understand the feeling of Test enthusiasts, but definitely I think that having too many draws is a problem. Perhaps there is no problem in the games like The Ashes, but if there should be an international competition, having too many draws is a big problem.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Thank you. It is true that I do not understand the feeling of Test enthusiasts, but definitely I think that having too many draws is a problem. Perhaps there is no problem in the games like The Ashes, but if there should be an international competition, having too many draws is a big problem.
Not at all. In that case a strong team who can push for a win has excelled more than eceryone else. If everyone draws EVERY game. Well fine, it's a draw.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
So what do you think of something like Football then Loko, which has far more draws on average?
Yes I think that one of the biggest problems of Football is the high rate of draws. I can suggest some solutions, but if necessary let's discuss at "General Sports Forum" forum.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yes I think that one of the biggest problems of Football is the high rate of draws. I can suggest some solutions, but if necessary let's discuss at "General Sports Forum" forum.
Please, please do.

Also maybe you could try your hand at improving rugby league? There's a whole world of opportunities out there. The fans would very much appreciate it.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should women's cricket and indeed age group cricket be played on a pitch of a different size, or with smaller :naughty: equipment?

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Should women's cricket and indeed age group cricket be played on a pitch of a different size, or with smaller :naughty: equipment?
I do not think so. In certain sports, like Volleyball, the height of net is lower in the case of Women's games. However, in Cricket, there is no such necessity in my opinion.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
If it was up to me then Tests would always be the pinnacle and T20s should remain a side show, but when the general public speaks through ticket sales there's no way you can stop the slide.

Big Bash games have been getting massive attendances, and probably will get ratings when on Channel 10 this season, whereas look at Shield games and Ryobi cup . . . 50 people go if your lucky. Even Tests are getting lower attendance than Big Bash.

There will always be plenty of Hard-core Test fans (at least for the next 20 years, but who knows what the next generation will prefer) but T20's popularity speaks for itself and will become more important while ODI dies and Tests become less important.

I can't see other likely occurrence.
As and when any T20 game fills the MCG like a boxing day Ashes test does then come and speak to me.

At domestic level then I can see that the Shield and Ryobi Cup can never compete with the Big Bash, the T20 comp is just far more accessible to a whole wider demographic. But I don't believe that is any indication of the future of test cricket..........test venues in England still sell out every day for any opposition and the Ashes is and always will be the biggest cricket event in the world.

To me the shorter formats need test cricket more than it needs them. The IPL, Big Bash......**** even the ODI World Cup is built on the names of test stars.

TheJediBrah

As and when any T20 game fills the MCG like a boxing day Ashes test does then come and speak to me.
At domestic level then I can see that the Shield and Ryobi Cup can never compete with the Big Bash, the T20 comp is just far more accessible to a whole wider demographic. But I don't believe that is any indication of the future of test cricket..........test venues in England still sell out every day for any opposition and the Ashes is and always will be the biggest cricket event in the world.

To me the shorter formats need test cricket more than it needs them. The IPL, Big Bash......**** even the ODI World Cup is built on the names of test stars.
You picked the one day of the year where Test Cricket really earns its keep. You can't deny that T20 is making a hell of a lot more money than any other form. Hopefully they keep it under wraps and it doesn't become the major form of cricket, but I think it could.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Not at all. In that case a strong team who can push for a win has excelled more than eceryone else. If everyone draws EVERY game. Well fine, it's a draw.
OK, for me Test Cricket is not important. Look at the ICC Rankings. England 38 matches, Zimbabwe 11matches. And there is no international competition like World Cup. So I want let you to enjoy matches like The Ashes. The Ashes will survive at least more 25 years.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So I want let you to enjoy matches like The Ashes. The Ashes will survive at least more 25 years.
Phew, thankyou, you are very gracious m'Lord.

For a moment there I thought you were going to tell us you were cancelling them this decade.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
What do you think are the advantages of 8 ball overs Loko?