• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Off Season 2013 Thread

SeamUp

International Coach
Well its the winter but still plenty cricket on the go.

1.) IPL for Jacques Kallis, JP Duminy, Dale Steyn, Wayne Parnell (depening on drug charges), Rusty Theron, Johan Botha, Ryan McLaren, Dave Miller, Quinton de Kock, Gulam Bodi, Chris Morris, AB de Villiers , Faf du Plessis, Morne Morkel, Roelof van der Merwe & Albie Morkel.

2.) Graeme Smith (Surrey), Alviro Petersen (Somerset), Ashwell Prince (Lancs) & Neil McKenzie (Hants) all having county stints. Yorkshire want Dave Miller again but looking very difficult at the moment.

3.) Some South African born players playing County Cricket & for England.
Michael Rippon & Matt Prior (Sussex),
Jonathan Trott (Warks)
Michael Lumb & Rikki Wessels (Notts)
Nick Compton,Craig Kieswetter, Craig Meschede, Alfonso Thomas (Somerset)
Neil Dexter & Gareth Berg (Middlesex)
Keaton Jennings,Dale Benkenstein & Michael Richardson (Durham)
Wayne Madsen & Tim Groenewald (Derbys)
Jason Roy, Kevin Pietersen, Jade Dernbach, Stuart Meaker (Surrey)
Greg Smith, Ryan ten Doeschate (Essex)
Stephen Moore & Andrea Agathagelou (Lancs)
Andrew Hall & Con de Lange (Northants)
Gareth Roderick (Gloucs)
Chris Cooke (Glamorgan)

4.) SA Emerging Quadrangular team in Namibia

5.) Champions Trophy for the Proteas in England

6.) South Africa 'A' 'tests' v India & Australia in Durban plus One-day triangular.

7.) Transfers

8.) Finalisation of contracted squads

9.) Announcement of new coach for Titans to replace Matt Maynard who returns to England

SeamUp

International Coach
SA Emerging Squad in Namibia this week to play Namibia,Kenya & Netherlands in T20

Batsmen/keepers
Cameron Delport (Sunfoil Dolphins)
Christiaan Jonker (Chevrolet Warriors)
Khaya Zondo (Sunfoil Dolphins)
Mangaliso Mosehle (Nashua Titans) (Keeper)
Yaseen Vallie (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras)
Jean Symes (c) (Bizhub Highveld Lions)

all-rounders
David Wiese (Nashua Titans)
Dwaine Pretorius (Bizhub Highveld Lions)

Spinners
Dane Piedt (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras)
Keshav Maharaj (Sunfoil Dolphins)

Seamers/Quicks
Beuran Hendricks (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras)
Andrew Birch (Chevrolet Warriors)
Aya Gqamane (Chevrolet Warriors)
Malusi Siboto (Chevrolet Knights)

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Not much transfer news yet but just some bits and bobs.

DOLPHINS

Only major transfer so far is Morne Van Wyk from Knights to Dolphins ending his long stay at his home franchise.

The Sunfoil Dolphins are delighted to confirm the signing of Morne Van Wyk for the 2013/2014 Season.

A former Chevrolet Knights and Proteas batsman and wicket-keeper, Van Wyk comes with a wealth of experience. His batting experience and leadership skills as a former Chevrolet Knights Captain will add tremendous value to the Sunfoil Dolphins squad.
The 33 year old made his first class debut in the 1996/1997 season and his One Day International debut for the Proteas in 2003 at Lords. He has earned respect for being an attacking top order batsman.

Commenting on joining the team Van Wyk said, "It's an honour for me to be welcomed into the Sunfoil Dolphins cricket family. During my career and before, they were one of the power houses in SA cricket and hence I've always held cricket here in high regard. I look forward to starting a new life here with my family and in particular, I'm excited to contribute to the Dolphins and cricket as a whole in KZN,” he said.

“We are glad to have obtained a player like Morne in our squad for next season. He brings a tremendous amount of experience with him. He will help and guide our youngsters on and off the field. ” comment Fa-eez Jaffar , President of KZNCU.

Jesse Chellan, CEO of KZNCU said, “With our current young squad, growing our players on the field of play was identified as a gap. Morne brings considerable leadership qualities as well as on-field excellence. He has been the rock around which the Knights team have performed especially in limited overs cricket. We hope that he plays a similar role for the Sunfoil Dolphins.”

Morne has already relocated to Durban and will be part of the squad from April 2013.

Skipper Daryn Smit summing up Dolphins season

SUMMING up the Dolphins’ season, skipper Daryn Smit uses a F-word — frustrating.

That’s putting it mildly and, as winter settles over Kingsmead, it’s hard not to notice the thickening layer of dust in the trophy cabinet since the last piece of silverware left the building in 2005.

The past season saw former Dolphins and Protea all-rounder Lance Klusener take up the coaching position and Smit replace Imraan Khan at the helm. It’s not a bad combination and optimism ran high that the team would stand up and be seen as a respected and strong franchise.

Klusener was quoted as saying he wanted to get the team playing horrible cricket, in your face stuff, not backing down from anything and at times, when the ingredients mixed well, the Dolphins proved what they could do.

Smit found his first season in charge enjoyable but challenging, learning to take the hard knocks and having the character to get up and start again.

Said Smit: “It’s been a rollercoaster season but we have lacked consistency and the killer punch when it was needed. The weather did play its part, meaning there was more pressure on us to perform when we did get on the park, having to win to make up ground, but such is the nature of our profession. It meant less slip-ups and introduced a new dimension to our game.

“I learnt much about the players and myself. Having myself and Lance new to the two most vital aspects of the team was not easy, but we have come through the season, recognised our strengths and weaknesses and done assessments to move forward.”
A positive for Smit was the four-day campaign where, despite having one whole match abandoned and another reduced to two days, the Dolphins finished with a flurry, notching three wins on the trot and four in total to finish on the podium in third spot.

“The games we won, we invariably won with a day to spare, taking 20 wickets and batting well enough to give the bowlers a platform to defend,” said Smit.

“My concern was the one-day and T20 formats. We started both competitions poorly and in these types of games, once you play catch-up cricket you are never a threat.”

Looking at his team, Smit said he had the players to win trophies but they needed to play as a team on the field. “Players need to know their purpose in the team and be responsible. There is no cover or excuse for consistently poor performances and players must step up to the plate. Players must be prepared to work on their faults and form. Relying on expectation or past records for team selection is meaningless. We want assets in the team, not liabilities,” he said.

On the batting front, Smit was satisfied the Dolphins had shown character on sporty wickets, designed to produce results. “They ground out ugly runs when required and got on with the job. When confronted by a green strip and having to bat first, they knuckled down and did what was relevant. While the averages are not mind-boggling, they are decent,” he said.

It’s the bowling department which could be the Dolphins’ Achilles heel next season, said Smit. “Kyle [Abbott] led the attack and guided the young bowlers through the season. He was my voice on many occasions when I was stuck behind the stumps. But, with him in the Protea mix, who do the bowlers turn to? This is the time for Mthokozisi [Shezi] and Craig [Alexander] to stand tall and lead the attack.”

At times, Smit admits he has felt somewhat isolated on the field, lacking the reassurance of a solid, senior pro to advise, help and listen.

“There are no senior players to contribute and having Ravi Bopara for the T20 campaign proved how important this aspect of the game is. He was invaluable on and off the field, working with me for the better of whatever situation we were in.”

In this regard, Smit looks forward to Free State stalwart Morné van Wyk joining the ranks next season saying, “That’s the input we need from a senior player. He will be a huge asset on the field and in the change room.”

Smit admits the pressure is on next season for the Dolphins to win one of the domestic trophies but he knows it won’t be easy.

“Every player must buy into our goals and what we want to achieve. It’s impossible to do on your own and the players need to be pulled along and enjoy the journey together.

There is a difference between playing cricket and wanting to play cricket. The players must all fit into the latter bracket and wear the Dolphins badge with pride and purpose,” he said.

As for working with Klusener, Smit admitted the coach was a man of few words but clear in what he wanted to achieve.

Said Smit, “Lance is a great cricket brain and we have discussed our approach to next season. As captain and coach, we want to spend more time analysing what’s going on and feed off each other’s thought processes.

“With that sorted and the players believing in our quest, we could be part of a rare occurrence at Kingsmead next season — opening the trophy cabinet.”

SeamUp

International Coach
TITANS

Statement on Matt Maynard resigning

The Chairman of the Easterns Titans Board,Vincent Sinovich, announced today that the coach of the Nashua Titans, Matthew Maynard, will not be renewing his contract at the end of the season after two years at the helm.

Maynard joined the Nashua Titans at the start of the 2011/2012 season and successfully led them to two trophies in their first season, winning both the four-day and T20 trophies. This season he had led the team to the semi-final of the Momentum One-Day Cup, semi-final of the Champions League and has led them to the final of the RAM SLAM T20 for the second successive year.

“It is a big loss for the franchise,” commented Sinovich. “Matthew has provided great leadership to all the players within our structures. I truly appreciate the loyalty and dedication he has demonstrated throughout his time with the franchise. There has been uncertainty for a while if Matthew would continue but we had always hoped that we could convince him to stay. The Nashua Titans family wishes him and his family well.”

Sinovich said a timeline for naming a replacement has not yet been determined.

“I am most appreciative of the opportunity I have been given at the Nashua Titans for the past two seasons and am very proud of my contributions to the team’s success that we have enjoyed. Winning the SuperSport Series and the coveted T20 Challenge in my first season here and now leading the team to another final on Sunday is a testament to that. I can also hold my head high knowing that our shelves are stocked with talent for next year’s squad and beyond. I would like to thank the players for their continued excellence in practice and preparation. We have a very special squad.” said Maynard.

“I leave for personal reasons. I want to thank Vincent, Andy (O’Connor) and the Board, including the late CEO, Elise Lombard, for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this wonderful team and family,” said Maynard.

“I also want to thank all the Nashua Titans fans for their support during my time here. May your support for the team and SuperSport Park, continue. I will always be part of the Northerns family,” concluded Maynard.

Jacques Faul, CEO of Easterns Titans, said: "Matt has made a massive contribution to the franchise and achieved much success with the team. We extend our gratitude to him for his service and take this opportunity to wish him and his family the very best for the future.”

Titans Awards Ceremony

Player of the Year Roelof van der Merwe

Players’ Player of the Year Roelof van der Merwe

First-Class Cricketer of the Year Ethy Mbhalati

One-Day Cricketer of the Year Henry Davids

T20 Cricketer of the Year Albie Morkel

Newcomer of the Year JP de Villiers

Most Improved Player of the Year Mangaliso Mosehle

SPECIAL AWARD (on his retirement) Paul Harris

SeamUp

International Coach
LIONS

Praise for the Lions and their season

This season’s success has surprised me. The Lions certainly appeared to be a side on an upward curve, but they’ve made a big break this season and the difference between what’s been achieved this season and last, is vast.

Consider the outcome in 2011/12 season’s competitions; fourth in the SuperSport Series with three wins from 10 matches, last in the one-day cup with just two wins in league play and then runners-up in the domestic T20 competition, having secured a home final after they topped the log.

This season, they won a trophy, shared one, finished runners-up in the four-day tournament and for good measure were runners-up in the Champions League T20 event – their run to that final including three wins against star-studded IPL opponents.

In terms of personnel not much changed for the Lions, they brought back Sohail Tanvir for the Ram Slam, Devon Conway returned from the Dolphins – though he didn’t play much for the franchise this season, while Hardus Viljoen, who moved from the Titans was a revelation.

The most significant ‘change’ was Toyana’s appointment as coach. He built on the structures created by Nosworthy, but where he differed from his predecessor was in allowing the players greater freedom. It was the players who set the agenda for training, who were allowed more room to construct strategies. Lions’ practice sessions as my colleague Kevin McCallum indicated on Monday were more enjoyable affairs.

Just because there was more fun, didn’t mean Toyana allowed the players to take it easy in preparation. They still had to be properly prepared and they were made to be responsible for their performances. If someone had to be dropped, Toyana didn’t let his ‘fondness’ for the person prevent him from making a tough to decision to drop him.

This has been a breakthrough season for the 39 year old (surely the Coach of the Year category at this year’s Cricket SA awards is now a foregone conclusion). However as he has indicated, the bar has now been set. It’s quite high, but with rumours of some new players coming in next season and the confidence gained from this summer’s success, there’s every reason to feel the Lions can actually achieve even more in the future
Another one praising the success of the Lions and positive future with both feeder teams Gauteng and North West doing well as well.

The Citizen Online | Ubuntu the secret behind Highveld Lions

SeamUp

International Coach
Great opening posts. This side for Namibia, should they rather be called Pre-emerging SA?
:) Suppose they are in the process of emerging !

Not the first time there has been an emerging team of course. We regularly sent an emerging team to Australia from about 2005-2011 but that tournament seems to have come to an end.

SeamUp

International Coach
There is normally some squads released by now. Not sure if our season ended a few weeks later than usual but hopefully get some squads in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Titans may be delayed due to new coach I have no idea.

So trying to think what the squads will be picked from - Only allowed to contract 17 so some would have to be removed when we know. Also possibility of transfers to come.

COBRAS

CSA Contracted: Graeme Smith,Jacques Kallis,JP Duminy,Robbie Peterson,Vernon Philander,Dale Steyn, Rory Kleinveldt

Batsmen: Puttick, Gray, Van Zyl, Ontong (c), Levi, Vallie, Adams, Kemp
Keeper: Vilas
Spin: D. Piedt, Simetu
Seam: Louw, B.Hendricks, Williams, Langeveldt,Plaatjies

Got 16 but depending on Langeveldts possible retirement there may be two spots open, may go to Matthew Kleinveldt, Sybrand Engelbrecht, David Bedingham or Jan Frylinck

WARRIORS

CSA Contracted: Colin Ingram, Wayne Parnell

Batsmen: D.Jacobs (c), M.Price, Prince, Jonker, A.Jacobs, JJ Smuts, K.Smuts, Thyssen, Ackermann
Keeper: A.McLaren
Spin: Harmer
Seam: Birch, Theron, Gqamane, Rabie, Walters, Nqweni

Got 17 but suppose young quicks Anrich Nortje & Marcello Piedt may get.

DOLPHINS

CSA Contracted: Hashim Amla, lonwabo Tsotsobe

Batsmen: Khan, M.Van Wyk, Chetty, V. van Jaarsveld, Miller, Zondo, Delport, Vandiar, D. Van Wyk
Keeper: Smit (c)
Spin: Maharaj, Subrayen
Seam: Abbott, Shezi, Alexander, Savage, Abdulla

Young quicks Craig Kirsten & Daryn Dupavillon may get so possibly Abdulla and a batsman may miss out.

KNIGHTS

CSA Contracted: Dean Elgar, Ryan McLaren

Batsmen: R. Hendricks, Erlank, Rossouw,Pienaar, Bailey, Van Biljon
Keepers: Second, Cloete
Spin: Coetsee, P.Botha
Seam: Van der Wath (c), Siboto, du Preez, Friend, van Schalkwyk, Dry, Olivier

Maybe Diego Rosier could earn one.

LIONS

CSA Contracted: Alviro Petersen, Thami Tsolekile, Aaron Phangiso, Imran Tahir

Batsmen: Cook (c), van der Dussen, D.Hendricks, McKenzie, Z. de Bruyn, Bavuma, Symes, Bodi, Pretorius
Keeper: de Kock
Spin: Leie, Deeb
Seam: Morris, Viljoen, Deacon, O' Reilly, Matshikwe

Some may lose their contracts though with Devon Conway, Brett Pelser, Shaheen Khan & Dieter Klein pushing.

TITANS

CSA Contracted: AB de Villiers, Faf du Plessis, Morne Morkel, Marchant de Lange

Batsmen: Rudolph, Bodibe, Davids (c), Behardien, Malan, Wiese, Ngoepe
Keepers: Kuhn, Mosehle
Spin: van der Merwe, von berg, Links
Seam: A. Morkel, Mbhalati, CJ de Villiers, JP de Villiers, Richards

Batsmen Francois le Clus & Graeme Van Buuren may be pushing along with spinner Thomas Kaber.

Schoolboy talents:

Cobras: Clyde Fortuin (18) & Dayyaan Galiem (16)
Dolphins: Greg Oldfield (18)
Lions: Ryan Rickelton (17) & Kagiso Rabada (18)
Titans: Jurie Snyman (18)

Last edited:

jan

State Vice-Captain
I must say that season with Proteas and Cobras has been great. In the off-season Im going follow 2013 county cricket only because Smith is captaining Surrey :) Interested in the Namibia tour too, hope Vallie and Hendricks do well.

When do we get to see M. de Lange in whites?

SeamUp

International Coach
I must say that season with Proteas and Cobras has been great. In the off-season Im going follow 2013 county cricket only because Smith is captaining Surrey :) Interested in the Namibia tour too, hope Vallie and Hendricks do well.

When do we get to see M. de Lange in whites?
Certainly was Jan.

The T20 season for the Cobras did let it down a touch though. We need some young blood for that format. Epescially the fielding let us down, possibly the least athletic fielding team in SA ? Paul Adams says that is what they need to work on big time in off season.

Don't forget the SA 'A' series with India and Australia. Could be good that. Also interesting with cricket in the winter but I suppose Durban is summer rainfall.

Yeah same. Always follow County Championship. Should be good for Biff to just relax and play some long innings regularly again on a good Oval wicket. Surrey could have a good season with him there leading from the front. remember the last time he was there playing for Somerset he scored a triple century in a day and Somerset did well overall.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
WARRIORS AWARDS

Cricket Eastern Cape (Pty) Ltd last night named the seasonaward winners at a dinner held in Port Elizabeth. A number of players have excelled during theseason with sterling individual performances which contributed to the successof the team.

The Award Winners are as follows:

SUNFOIL 4 DAY SERIES PLAYER OF THE YEAR: DavyJacobs

MOMENTUM 50 OVER PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Andrew Birch

RAMSLAMT20 PLAYER OF THE YEAR: ChristiaanJonker

NEW COMER OF THE YEAR: AyaGqamane

MOST IMPROVED PLAYER: AyaGqamane

PLAYER OF THE YEAR: AndrewBirch

“After a long season it is time to pay tribute to some outstanding performances. Although we played good cricket as a team and every player contributed in some way therehas been some outstanding personal performances which played a part in theteam’s success" commented Coach Piet Botha.

As captain Davy Jacobs took the lead opening the batting inthe 4 day competition scoring 595 runs at an average of 39.6. The shorter version of the game saw AndrewBirch taking the most wickets in the 50 over competition in spite of the teamnot reaching the semi-finals. The T20competition saw Christiaan Jonker scoring 311 runs at an average of 38.7 with avery good strike rate of 126.4. Newcomer and most improved player Aya Gqamane took the season by storm with someoutstanding performances which included 5/20 vs Dolphins, 7/24 vs Lions and6/40 vs Titans in the Sunfoil Series.

Andrew Birch once again showed his value this season bytaking 40 Sunfoil wickets at 16.07, 23 wickets in the 50 over competition at16.8 and he was well on his way in the T20 competition with 9 wickets beforebeing sidelined due to injury.” Said Coach Piet Botha.

Christiaan Jonker, Andrew Birch and Aya Gqamane will bejoining the SA Emerging team on tour in Namibia later this week. The SA “A” squad has also been selected andSimon Harmer, Aya Gqamane, Davy Jacobs, Wayne Parnell and Rusty Theron havebeen included in this squad.

The SA Academy camp will take place during the winter andWarriors players Jon-Jon Smuts, Kelly Smuts, Andrew Birch and Simon Harmer havebeen invited to attend various specialist camps.

Some pics : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...1.1073741825.337671766320&type=3&l=b49a19756e

SeamUp

International Coach
Ahmed Amla follows Paul Harris into retirement -

Ahmed Amla, the Dolphins and KwaZulu-Natal batsman, has announced his decision to retire from all cricket. His agent said Amla was retiring to focus on his studies and pursue business interests.

Amla, 33, is the brother of South Africa batsman Hashim Amla. He played 128 first-class matches, 127 List A games and 53 domestic Twenty20s in a career that began in 1997-98. He scored 6587 first-class runs at an average of 34 and a best of 164*. In List A cricket he had 3147 runs at an average of 31.

More to follow ...
Other candidates would be Martin Van Jaarsveld & Makhaya Ntini definitely. No news on Charl Langeveldt yet if he will continue for another season or not either.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA 'A' fixtures vs Australia and India are also out. 2 tests vs each team and 4 games each in a one-day round robin plus a final I would presume.

Tests

JULY 24-27 - vs Australia 'A' @ Kingsmead
JULY 31 to AUG 3 - vs Australia 'A' @ Kingsmead

One-day series

AUG 6 - SA 'A' vs AUS 'A @ Pmb Oval
AUG 8 - AUS 'A' vs IND 'A' @ Chatsworth Stadium
AUG 9 - SA 'A' vs IND 'A' @ Pmb Oval
AUG 10 - SA 'A' vs AUS 'A' @ Kingsmead
AUG 11 - AUS 'A' vs IND 'A' @ Chatsworth Stadium
AUG 12 - SA 'A' vs IND 'A' @ Pmb Oval

Tests

AUG 17-20 vs India 'A' @ Kingsmead
AUG 24-27 vs India 'A' @ Kingsmead

Marius

International Debutant
SA 'A' fixtures vs Australia and India are also out. 2 tests vs each team and 4 games each in a one-day round robin plus a final I would presume.

Tests

JULY 24-27 - vs Australia 'A' @ Kingsmead
JULY 31 to AUG 3 - vs Australia 'A' @ Kingsmead

One-day series

AUG 6 - SA 'A' vs AUS 'A @ Pmb Oval
AUG 8 - AUS 'A' vs IND 'A' @ Chatsworth Stadium
AUG 9 - SA 'A' vs IND 'A' @ Pmb Oval
AUG 10 - SA 'A' vs AUS 'A' @ Kingsmead
AUG 11 - AUS 'A' vs IND 'A' @ Chatsworth Stadium
AUG 12 - SA 'A' vs IND 'A' @ Pmb Oval

Tests

AUG 17-20 vs India 'A' @ Kingsmead
AUG 24-27 vs India 'A' @ Kingsmead
Pity it's all in Natal, but I guess the rest of the country is too cold that time of year, plus the Cape has winter rainfall.

SeamUp

International Coach
Pity it's all in Natal, but I guess the rest of the country is too cold that time of year, plus the Cape has winter rainfall.
That is of course the reasoning. Suppose the highveld isn't necessarily winter rainfall either but the cold nights effect the grass a bit there I would presume. So KZN will get these games.

SeamUp

International Coach
First team to announce their contracts for the 2013/14 season are the Knights.

• Two of the most talented young batsmen in the country Rilee Rossouw & Reeza Hendricks have signed new 2 year deals
  • Morne Van Wyk (Dolphins) & Ryan Bailey (Warriors) have been released to join different franchises
  • 5 new players contracted but have played for Knights in Gihahn Cloete (previously a rookie), Rudi Second, Pite Van Biljon, Michael Erlank (previously a rookie) & Romano Terblanche
  • Two new rookies in Diego Rosier & Tumi Masekela

Surprised no Corne Dry but expect him to get games still.

KNIGHTS CONTRACTED SQUAD

CSA Contracted: Dean Elgar & Ryan McLaren

Batsmen: R.Hendricks, Cloete, Rossouw, Pienaar, Van Biljon, Rosier (rookie), Erlank
Keeper: Second
Spin: Coetsee, Boje
all-rounder: Terblanche
Seam: van der Wath (c), du Preez, Friend, Siboto, van Schalkwyk, Masekela (rookie)

Last edited:

Quaggas

State Captain
That is of course the reasoning. Suppose the highveld isn't necessarily winter rainfall either but the cold nights effect the grass a bit there I would presume. So KZN will get these games.
Or, they are trying to stop future senior rot for Durban :dry:

SeamUp

International Coach
So the tension between Hashim and KZNCU/Dolphins was true then. Amla leaves the Dolphins and joins the Cobras.

http://www.supersport.com/cricket/domestic-cricket/news/130422/Amla_joins_Cobras

Hashim Amla will continue his domestic career with the Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras after deciding to end his association with the Sunfoil Dolphins, the Proteas batsman announced in a statement on Monday.

Amla, who attended Durban Boys High, had spent his entire domestic career with the Durban-based Dolphins after making his first-class debut during the 1999/2000 season. He also captained the franchise for a season before giving up the job to concentrate on his batting.

The 30-year-old Amla will join the Cape Cobras with immediate effect but said that the decision to move had not been an easy one.

“I must stress that this was a difficult decision for me. I have always considered myself a Durban boy and know that I will dearly miss the support of the KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) fans during the domestic games. Although I may not have played a lot of domestic cricket in recent years due to my national team commitments, it is this tremendous support of the fans at KZN that I will remember and cherish the most,” he said in a statement.

“I have decided to pursue my domestic career with the Cape Cobras, and I am looking forward to joining a team that has as rich a tradition as the Dolphins. I’m extremely excited about the future and look forward to making many new friends and colleagues in the Western Cape, whilst enjoying the game of cricket,” he added.

Jesse Chellan, the Dolphins’ chief executive said that Amla would always be a part of cricket in KZN.

“We wish Hashim well for the rest of his career. He will always be a product of KZN and he will always be a Durban boy,” Chellan told supersport.com.

Amla has established himself as one of the world’s best batsman during his career and, despite not playing much franchise cricket recently because of national commitments he was the Dolphins’ star player and his loss will be keenly felt by the KwaZulu-Natal franchise.

Amla, as a nationally-contracted player, is able to play for any franchise of his choosing without having to break a contract with his original franchise.