Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: South Africa Off Season 2013 Thread

HIGHVELD LIONS

The bizhub Highveld Lions have pleasure in announcing the contracted squad for 2013/14.

“The team has had a phenomenal season and we were happy to keep the bigger pool of players consistent, as this allows for continuity. The squad shows the inclusion of some younger players that have been on the fringe of the franchise for the past couple of years and we welcome them into the side. I believe that we have the squad to build on the successes of the 2012/13 season and look forward to see the progress of these individuals as a unit,” said Cassim Docrat, Chief Executive Officer.

Head Coach, Geoffrey Toyana, is excited about the potential this group of players have. “I have personal insight into the cricket abilities of these players and can tell you now that this squad has what it takes to have another magical season. I am also happy to welcome into the side Lopsy (Lowabo Tsotsobe) who has opted to play for the bizhub Highveld Lions this year. He has a tremendous amount of ability and I believe that he will bring experience and guidance to some of the younger players in our squad,” Toyana said.

The side reconvenes at the end of the month to start their off-season programme. “There is a lot of hard work ahead of us and we will have to put in the work if we want to impress on both the international and domestic stage. We have the players to achieve this, the ball is now in our court,” Toyana added.

Zander de Bruyn & Dale Deeb lost their contracts.

bizhub Highveld Lions Contracted Players

Batsmen: Stephen Cook (31), Dominic Hendricks (23), Rassie van der Dussen (24), Neil McKenzie (38), Temba Bavuma (23), Jean Symes (27), Gulam Bodi (34), Grant Mokoena (26),

Batsmen/bowl seam: Brett Pelser (28), Dwaine Pretorius (24), Shaylen Pillay (19)

Keeper: Quinton de Kock (21)

Spin: Eddie Leie (27)

Seam: Chris Morris (26), Hardus Viljoen (24), Cliffe Deacon (33), Ethan O'Reilly (28), Pumelela Matshikwe (29)

CSA Contracted Players

Alviro Petersen

Aaron Phangiso

Thami Tsolekile

Imran Tahir

Lonwabo Tsotsobe

NASHUA TITANS

Walter Appointed Head Coach of the Nashua Titans

THE Easterns Titans franchise has announced the appointment of Rob Walter as the new Nashua Titans coach. Easterns Titans franchise Chairman Vincent Sinovich made the announcement at a media briefing at SuperSport Park, in Centurion, on Tuesday 21, May 2013.

Walter takes over from Matthew Maynard who has led the side for the past two seasons but opted not to renew his contract citing personal reasons.

Walter said: "To be joining the Nashua Titans again is something of a second homecoming for me and to be appointed as head coach is something that I have aspired to since my first day at the Titans in 1999. It is a franchise whose players, staff and set-up I know intimately and I am hugely excited to be given the opportunity to be part of shaping the future of what has already been a very successful franchise."

Walter previously worked with the Nashua Titans under Dave Nosworthy.

Walter has been the Proteas Fitness trainer for the last six years and more recently has doubled up as fielding coach as well. He is also part of the coaching staff of the Pune Warriors India franchise in the Indian Premier League (IPL).

Walter’s first matches in charge will be during the pre-season matches locally in August. The Champions League scheduled for September/October in India will be his first official assignment.

Walter will be able to call on the services of senior players next season such as captain Henry Davids, Albie Morkel, Ethy Mbhalati and Jacques Rudolph.

The Chairman, Vincent Sinovich commented: “When we discussed the candidates that we felt had the right attributes we unanimously agreed on Rob Walter. Rob is a man of great integrity with a strong work ethic. He has shown this at national level,” said Sinovich.

“He was part of the support staff at the start of the franchise system in 2003 and assisted with the development of young players. Rob inherits a first-class group of players who have performed consistently at the highest level and he will continue to build the Titans brand," continued Sinovich.

Commenting on the appointment, Chief Executive Officer, Jacques Faul said: “His hard-working style and hard determination are characteristics we value at the franchise. He has impressed as a fitness trainer for many years now and we strongly believe he will be able to take up from where Matthew left off by continuing the franchise’s achievement.”

“The committee felt that Rob has been privileged to be in some of the best change rooms in the world, working together with very good coaches and he will bring this valuable knowledge to the Franchise,” continued Faul.

Walter’s contract will commence on 1 July 2013.

Pieter Malan & Tumelo Modibe have lost their contracts. Paul Harris & Martin van Jaarsveld retired. Rudolph & A.Morkel drop down from CSA Contracts. Qaasim Adams joins from the Cobras and right-arm quick JP de Villiers is contracted for the 1st time from Northerns amatuer and CBC Old Boys CC.

NASHUA TITANS CONTRACTED PLAYERS 2013/14 SEASON:

Batsmen: Jacques Rudolph (32), Henry Davids (33), Qaasim Adams (29), Farhaan Behardien (30), Lesiba Ngoepe (20) (rookie)

Batsman/bowl seam: Albie Morkel (32), David Wiese (28)

Keepers: Heino Kuhn (29), Mangaliso Mosehle (23)

Spin: Roelof van der Merwe (29), Shaun von Berg (27), Eden Links (24)

Seamers: Ethy Mbhalati (32), CJ de Villiers (27), Rowan Richards (29), JP de Villiers (24)

CSA CONTRACTED PLAYERS:

AB de Villiers, Marchant de Lange, Faf du Plessis, Morne Morkel.

Monde Zondeki officially announced his retirement a couple of days ago.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Monde Zondeki officially announced his retirement a couple of days ago.
    Nice fat pay-off with a franchise contract without playing last season.

But in all seriousness remember him breaking through as a youngster with real gas and intent. Just didn't seem to have the work ethic or luck with injuries.

He will remember that Headingley partnership with Gary Kirsten very fondly.

Morne Van Wyk will take over the captaincy of the Dolphins for the next 2 seasons after joining them. Not sure if that is good news for Daryn Smit from a keeping perspective now as well particularly in the 1-day game.

Also just the Cobras to release contracted squad.

Squads have already started pre-season for a couple of weeks.

From the 5 squads announced just really Craig Kirsten & Daryn Dupavillon (both Dolphins), Anrich Nortje (Warriors) and Corne Dry (Knights) without central contracts from young talented players in between franchise cricket and having to earn their franchise contracts with results for their amateur teams after leaving school. All in pre-season with franchises though and all fast bowlers.

With regards to the Cobras... Jan Frylinck (left-arm quick) and David Bedingham (Bat) may fall in the same category as above but we will see when they announce their squad.

Would possibly like to see schoolboys Clyde Fortuin (keeper/bat) & Dayyaan Galiem all-rounder) (both Western Province), Greg Oldfield (bat) (KZN Inland), Ryan Rickelton (bat) & Kagiso Rabada (right-arm quick) (both Gauteng) play amateur cricket next season if they can fit it in amongst their school work and other cricket duties (school, Coke & Cubs Week & SA u19). Obviously need to produce the goods still though.

Cricket Spectator
    It pains me to say it, but the Lions team looks really strong this season! As a die-hard Titans supporter, our team still looks very strong on paper, so keeping fingers crossed for the coming season.

Looking forward to seeing what they can do under the leadership of Walter.

Amla's decision is a major blow to the Dolphin's, but from what I've heard it's the troubles have been brewing for a while!

Here's to hoping that the Cobras will announce their team soon!

Nothing exciting done by the Cobras re: contracted squad. Rather want the young talent to prove themselves in amateur cricket first. Players like batsmen Bedingham & J.Smith along with fast bowlers Frylinck & Muller all playing club cricket in England though. Fortuin along with Smith and Galiem in SA under 19 mix. Last season for senior players Kemp and Langeveldt in my view.

COBRAS SQUAD

Nationally contracted: Graeme Smith (32), Hashim Amla (30), Jacques Kallis (38), JP Duminy (29), Robin Peterson (34), Vernon Philander (28), Dale Steyn (30), Rory Kleinveldt (30)

Batsmen: Andrew Puttick (33), Alistair Gray (31), Stiaan Van Zyl (26), Justin Ontong (33), Yaseen Vallie (24), Richard Levi (25)

All-rounder: Justin Kemp (36)

Keeper: Dane Vilas (28)

Spinners: Dane Piedt (23), Siya Simetu.(22)

Seamers: Johann Louw (34), Charl Langeveldt (39), Beuran Hendricks (23), Lizaad Williams (20)

There was a SA 'A' camp for fitness tests done in the last few days in prep for Australia and India 'A'. Obviously the squad were minus potential players like Elgar, de Kock, Ingram, Miller, Behardien, Phangiso, Morris & Kleinveldt. Also a Sri Lanka ODI series will co-incide with Austalia 'A' tests.

Squad attended HPC in Pretoria.

Batsmen: Stiaan Van Zyl, Justin Ontong, Davy Jacobs, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Cody Chetty, Reeza Hendricks, Rilee Rossouw, Temba Bavuma, Henry Davids
    Keepers: Dane Vilas & Thami Tsolekile
    Spinners: Simon Harmer & Roelof van der Merwe
    Seamers: Beuran Hendricks, Rusty Theron, Wayne Parnell, Aya Gqamane, Kyle Abbott, Hardus Viljoen, Marchant de Lange

Seamup, stick your neck out and make some predictions.

Looks like WP has 80% of the national team, while we're stuck with Virus and Tahir

I just noticed that one of the young lads I played with about 7 years or so ago has a FC average of 40 and has a Framchise contract. Congrats to him but ****, time flies
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    There was a SA 'A' camp for fitness tests done in the last few days in prep for Australia and India 'A'. Obviously the squad were minus potential players like Elgar, de Kock, Ingram, Miller, Behardien, Phangiso, Morris & Kleinveldt. Also a Sri Lanka ODI series will co-incide with Austalia 'A' tests.

Squad attended HPC in Pretoria.

Batsmen: Stiaan Van Zyl, Justin Ontong, Davy Jacobs, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Cody Chetty, Reeza Hendricks, Rilee Rossouw, Temba Bavuma, Henry Davids
    Keepers: Dane Vilas & Thami Tsolekile
    Spinners: Simon Harmer & Roelof van der Merwe
    Seamers: Beuran Hendricks, Rusty Theron, Wayne Parnell, Aya Gqamane, Kyle Abbott, Hardus Viljoen, Marchant de Lange
    David Wiese of the Titans also attended. Suppose they needed an all-rounder sort of player like him for a different option as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaggas View Post
    Seamup, stick your neck out and make some predictions.

Looks like WP has 80% of the national team, while we're stuck with Virus and Tahir

Going to be interesting to see if the wickets will be as sporty again next season for the 4-day competition.

I also think Proteas inclusions and exclusions will help certain teams. For instance Rudolph is available full time for Titans and that will help them out.

For the Lions, Quinton de Kock needs to follow up his first full season with another dominant season in the longer version for me. I think the signing of Tsostsobe might bring good balance to the Lions attack with Morris and Viljoen as well being part of that attack. They will get Tahir for a large chunk of games. I think they will be up there for most trophies but will need de Kock and Morris to be available for a decent proportion of games. Newly contracted Rassie van der Dussen looked a very good bat and he could make some runs for the Lions, very classical and tall and a good timer. Backing them to do really well like Snippie says above.

For me the Cobras won't see much of Smith, Amla, Kallis, Duminy, Robbie P & Steyn. Once again I think they have good longer version batting but rely on Levi and Vilas big time in the one-day game. Not sure if Kemp, Louw & Langeveldt will make major contributions so it will be interesting to see if they give some young guns a go. The young quicks Lizaad Williams and Beuran Hendricks look very exciting. But I think they may have an up-and-down season over all.

Warriors will face the same problems for me, batting woes in the longer version potentially but lets see. Have a good attack with Harmer, Theron, Birch, Gqamane & the new kid on the block Nqweni.

Supposedly the Kingsmead wicket is being prepared to bring back its pace to go with its bounce. So we will see how that goes. They may miss Abbott for the beginning of the season if he joins Proteas squad in Dubai and that will be a big loss. Because they need Abbott to bring along the young quicks Savage, Kirsten & Dupavillon but will have to fall on guys like Craig Alexander & Mthokozisi Shezi. Also hoping the young spinner Subrayen can kick on, not seen a young SA spinner turn the ball like him ever basically. Really exciting and with his high action , a Durban wicket will always aid him with the bounce. Like the Warriors I'm not sure if their batting line-up will contribute enough. but the Dolphins are definitely on the up under Klusener and may be in with a shout in one of the limited overs comps.

What can I say about the Knights, constant over achievers. Rely heavily on Hendricks, Elgar and Rossouw with the bat, in fact they are the senior batsman for them now with the loss of Morne Van Wyk & Ryan Bailey. All the experience is in the bowling department with van der Wath, du Preez & Friend. But I will expect them to find a way and compete again this season.

For the Titans, well with Rudolph he will pile on the runs like he does in domestic comps. I reckon they will be in with a shout in the 4-day com this season. Big season for Marchant de Lange to stay fit and add more accuracy to his pace. Albie Morkel will also contribute more for them now as well. So those senior players will help them big time. They always like to produce a quick in this region and they contracted JP de Villiers so could be a break out season for him.

So 4-day Sunfoil Series - Lions, Titans or Cobras

Momentum 1-day comp - Dolphins, Warriors or Lions

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I just noticed that one of the young lads I played with about 7 years or so ago has a FC average of 40 and has a Framchise contract. Congrats to him but ****, time flies
    So who is that Goughy ? At the Titans or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post

Going to be interesting to see if the wickets will be as sporty again next season for the 4-day competition.

I also think Proteas inclusions and exclusions will help certain teams. For instance Rudolph is available full time for Titans and that will help them out.

For the Lions, Quinton de Kock needs to follow up his first full season with another dominant season in the longer version for me. I think the signing of Tsostsobe might bring good balance to the Lions attack with Morris and Viljoen as well being part of that attack. They will get Tahir for a large chunk of games. I think they will be up there for most trophies but will need de Kock and Morris to be available for a decent proportion of games. Newly contracted Rassie van der Dussen looked a very good bat and he could make some runs for the Lions, very classical and tall and a good timer. Backing them to do really well like Snippie says above.

For me the Cobras won't see much of Smith, Amla, Kallis, Duminy, Robbie P & Steyn. Once again I think they have good longer version batting but rely on Levi and Vilas big time in the one-day game. Not sure if Kemp, Louw & Langeveldt will make major contributions so it will be interesting to see if they give some young guns a go. The young quicks Lizaad Williams and Beuran Hendricks look very exciting. But I think they may have an up-and-down season over all.

Warriors will face the same problems for me, batting woes in the longer version potentially but lets see. Have a good attack with Harmer, Theron, Birch, Gqamane & the new kid on the block Nqweni.

Supposedly the Kingsmead wicket is being prepared to bring back its pace to go with its bounce. So we will see how that goes. They may miss Abbott for the beginning of the season if he joins Proteas squad in Dubai and that will be a big loss. Because they need Abbott to bring along the young quicks Savage, Kirsten & Dupavillon but will have to fall on guys like Craig Alexander & Mthokozisi Shezi. Also hoping the young spinner Subrayen can kick on, not seen a young SA spinner turn the ball like him ever basically. Really exciting and with his high action , a Durban wicket will always aid him with the bounce. Like the Warriors I'm not sure if their batting line-up will contribute enough. but the Dolphins are definitely on the up under Klusener and may be in with a shout in one of the limited overs comps.

What can I say about the Knights, constant over achievers. Rely heavily on Hendricks, Elgar and Rossouw with the bat, in fact they are the senior batsman for them now with the loss of Morne Van Wyk & Ryan Bailey. All the experience is in the bowling department with van der Wath, du Preez & Friend. But I will expect them to find a way and compete again this season.

For the Titans, well with Rudolph he will pile on the runs like he does in domestic comps. I reckon they will be in with a shout in the 4-day com this season. Big season for Marchant de Lange to stay fit and add more accuracy to his pace. Albie Morkel will also contribute more for them now as well. So those senior players will help them big time. They always like to produce a quick in this region and they contracted JP de Villiers so could be a break out season for him.

So 4-day Sunfoil Series - Lions, Titans or Cobras

Momentum 1-day comp - Dolphins, Warriors or Lions
    Cheers!

Wasn't expecting so much detail, now I feel I owe you tuition for educating me

International Vice-Captain
    Itinnery been released yet?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information