• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Off Season 2013 Thread

SeamUp

International Coach
There was a SA 'A' camp for fitness tests done in the last few days in prep for Australia and India 'A'. Obviously the squad were minus potential players like Elgar, de Kock, Ingram, Miller, Behardien, Phangiso, Morris & Kleinveldt. Also a Sri Lanka ODI series will co-incide with Austalia 'A' tests.

Squad attended HPC in Pretoria.

Batsmen: Stiaan Van Zyl, Justin Ontong, Davy Jacobs, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Cody Chetty, Reeza Hendricks, Rilee Rossouw, Temba Bavuma, Henry Davids
Keepers: Dane Vilas & Thami Tsolekile
Spinners: Simon Harmer & Roelof van der Merwe
Seamers: Beuran Hendricks, Rusty Theron, Wayne Parnell, Aya Gqamane, Kyle Abbott, Hardus Viljoen, Marchant de Lange
David Wiese of the Titans also attended. Suppose they needed an all-rounder sort of player like him for a different option as well.

SeamUp

International Coach
Seamup, stick your neck out and make some predictions. :p

Looks like WP has 80% of the national team, while we're stuck with Virus and Tahir
:D

Going to be interesting to see if the wickets will be as sporty again next season for the 4-day competition.

I also think Proteas inclusions and exclusions will help certain teams. For instance Rudolph is available full time for Titans and that will help them out.

For the Lions, Quinton de Kock needs to follow up his first full season with another dominant season in the longer version for me. I think the signing of Tsostsobe might bring good balance to the Lions attack with Morris and Viljoen as well being part of that attack. They will get Tahir for a large chunk of games. I think they will be up there for most trophies but will need de Kock and Morris to be available for a decent proportion of games. Newly contracted Rassie van der Dussen looked a very good bat and he could make some runs for the Lions, very classical and tall and a good timer. Backing them to do really well like Snippie says above.

For me the Cobras won't see much of Smith, Amla, Kallis, Duminy, Robbie P & Steyn. Once again I think they have good longer version batting but rely on Levi and Vilas big time in the one-day game. Not sure if Kemp, Louw & Langeveldt will make major contributions so it will be interesting to see if they give some young guns a go. The young quicks Lizaad Williams and Beuran Hendricks look very exciting. But I think they may have an up-and-down season over all.

Warriors will face the same problems for me, batting woes in the longer version potentially but lets see. Have a good attack with Harmer, Theron, Birch, Gqamane & the new kid on the block Nqweni.

Supposedly the Kingsmead wicket is being prepared to bring back its pace to go with its bounce. So we will see how that goes. They may miss Abbott for the beginning of the season if he joins Proteas squad in Dubai and that will be a big loss. Because they need Abbott to bring along the young quicks Savage, Kirsten & Dupavillon but will have to fall on guys like Craig Alexander & Mthokozisi Shezi. Also hoping the young spinner Subrayen can kick on, not seen a young SA spinner turn the ball like him ever basically. Really exciting and with his high action , a Durban wicket will always aid him with the bounce. Like the Warriors I'm not sure if their batting line-up will contribute enough. but the Dolphins are definitely on the up under Klusener and may be in with a shout in one of the limited overs comps.

What can I say about the Knights, constant over achievers. Rely heavily on Hendricks, Elgar and Rossouw with the bat, in fact they are the senior batsman for them now with the loss of Morne Van Wyk & Ryan Bailey. All the experience is in the bowling department with van der Wath, du Preez & Friend. But I will expect them to find a way and compete again this season.

For the Titans, well with Rudolph he will pile on the runs like he does in domestic comps. I reckon they will be in with a shout in the 4-day com this season. Big season for Marchant de Lange to stay fit and add more accuracy to his pace. Albie Morkel will also contribute more for them now as well. So those senior players will help them big time. They always like to produce a quick in this region and they contracted JP de Villiers so could be a break out season for him.

So 4-day Sunfoil Series - Lions, Titans or Cobras

Momentum 1-day comp - Dolphins, Warriors or Lions

SeamUp

International Coach
I just noticed that one of the young lads I played with about 7 years or so ago has a FC average of 40 and has a Framchise contract. Congrats to him but ****, time flies
So who is that Goughy ? At the Titans or not ?

Quaggas

State Captain
:D

Going to be interesting to see if the wickets will be as sporty again next season for the 4-day competition.

I also think Proteas inclusions and exclusions will help certain teams. For instance Rudolph is available full time for Titans and that will help them out.

For the Lions, Quinton de Kock needs to follow up his first full season with another dominant season in the longer version for me. I think the signing of Tsostsobe might bring good balance to the Lions attack with Morris and Viljoen as well being part of that attack. They will get Tahir for a large chunk of games. I think they will be up there for most trophies but will need de Kock and Morris to be available for a decent proportion of games. Newly contracted Rassie van der Dussen looked a very good bat and he could make some runs for the Lions, very classical and tall and a good timer. Backing them to do really well like Snippie says above.

For me the Cobras won't see much of Smith, Amla, Kallis, Duminy, Robbie P & Steyn. Once again I think they have good longer version batting but rely on Levi and Vilas big time in the one-day game. Not sure if Kemp, Louw & Langeveldt will make major contributions so it will be interesting to see if they give some young guns a go. The young quicks Lizaad Williams and Beuran Hendricks look very exciting. But I think they may have an up-and-down season over all.

Warriors will face the same problems for me, batting woes in the longer version potentially but lets see. Have a good attack with Harmer, Theron, Birch, Gqamane & the new kid on the block Nqweni.

Supposedly the Kingsmead wicket is being prepared to bring back its pace to go with its bounce. So we will see how that goes. They may miss Abbott for the beginning of the season if he joins Proteas squad in Dubai and that will be a big loss. Because they need Abbott to bring along the young quicks Savage, Kirsten & Dupavillon but will have to fall on guys like Craig Alexander & Mthokozisi Shezi. Also hoping the young spinner Subrayen can kick on, not seen a young SA spinner turn the ball like him ever basically. Really exciting and with his high action , a Durban wicket will always aid him with the bounce. Like the Warriors I'm not sure if their batting line-up will contribute enough. but the Dolphins are definitely on the up under Klusener and may be in with a shout in one of the limited overs comps.

What can I say about the Knights, constant over achievers. Rely heavily on Hendricks, Elgar and Rossouw with the bat, in fact they are the senior batsman for them now with the loss of Morne Van Wyk & Ryan Bailey. All the experience is in the bowling department with van der Wath, du Preez & Friend. But I will expect them to find a way and compete again this season.

For the Titans, well with Rudolph he will pile on the runs like he does in domestic comps. I reckon they will be in with a shout in the 4-day com this season. Big season for Marchant de Lange to stay fit and add more accuracy to his pace. Albie Morkel will also contribute more for them now as well. So those senior players will help them big time. They always like to produce a quick in this region and they contracted JP de Villiers so could be a break out season for him.

So 4-day Sunfoil Series - Lions, Titans or Cobras

Momentum 1-day comp - Dolphins, Warriors or Lions
Cheers! :thumbsup:

Wasn't expecting so much detail, now I feel I owe you tuition for educating me :ph34r:

Marius

International Debutant
My brother's friend played for Benoni Northerns against NWU at the Club Champs. He said when Van der Dussen came out to bat they thought he was useless and crawled his way to 50. He reckons they were happy that he hadn't got out as he was batting slowly. My brother's friend he got from 50 to 90 in less than 20 balls, and only didn't get 100 because he ran himself out.

He'll get a good run next season at the top of the order for the Lions I think, especially in the T20 stuff.

SeamUp

International Coach
Pretty chuffed with the off-season 'A' series. Elgar, Rossouw and Hendricks putting in good performances with the bat. Harmer showing all-round abilities and Beuran Hendricks getting up to the next level in his left-arm bowling.

Vincent Barnes on opportunities -

With the exception of Dean Elgar and JP Duminy, don’t expect to see any of the players who recently represented South Africa A against their Australian and Indian counterparts included in the Test squad that faces Pakistan in six weeks time.

And that, according to Vincent Barnes, who coached the SA A team over the past five weeks, is exactly as it should be. It was a largely successful period for the SA A side, who won two of the four first class matches against Australia A and India A, suffering one defeat against the Indians, who fielded a host of star names likely to feature for the senior India side that tours here later this year.

While there were some outstanding individual performances, Barnes feels selectors, coaches and supporters shouldn’t expect too many changes when the squad for the Pakistan Test series is picked on September 8.

“You have to look at the last Test we played; Kyle (Abbott) did very well, Rory (Kleinveldt) did well … the players who’ve done well here (for SA A) must wait their turn,” Barnes remarked. “You’ve got to out-play a player who is in the Test team, and you have to do special things to out-play those players because the Test team is very, very strong at the moment.”

Elgar, of course, was in the starting XI in South Africa’s last Test – an innings and 18 run-win over Pakistan at Centurion – and while he struggled with the bat in that series (averaging 22.66 with a highest score of 27) he’s come back well for SA A in the past few weeks.

Elgar made a double century against Australia and two further half centuries, suggesting the lessons learned from a tough start to his six-Test career are being applied, and Elgar is one who has shown he has the ability to cement his place in the Test side.

In a one-off performance, JP Duminy, who missed virtually all of last summer after rupturing his Achilles in Australia, made 83 against the Indians in Rustenburg and is almost certain to be included in the squad for the Tests in the UAE.

But the “A” series, which also included a triangular one-day tournament, was about the “next best” that South Africa has to offer and for national coach Russell Domingo and his staff – who watched the second four-day match against India A – there were some encouraging signs.

“This has been a great measuring tool,” Barnes explained. “As a coach and selector it gives me an idea where a player is at the moment, some players have put their hands up and moved their careers forward, and some have found it quite hard.”

Rilee Rossouw, Beuran Hendricks and Simon Harmer, were foremost among those who have enhanced their credentials in the last few weeks, while the likes of Temba Bavuma, Stiaan van Zyl and Reeza Hendricks found out how big the gap is between franchise and international cricket.

For the latter group, there are lessons to be applied when they return to their franchises to resume pre-season work, while for left-arm seamer Hendricks and off-spinner Harmer, it’s important to keep their feet on the ground.

“Just in this game alone, I’ve seen (Hendricks) grow tremendously,” said Barnes following, Hendricks’ match return of 11/63 against India A at Pretoria. On Harmer, who took 18 wickets over the course of the four first-class matches, Barnes commented: “We have to be patient with Simon – he’s bowled against very good players of spin on flat decks. He took ‘eight-for’ against Australia, maybe not very good players of spin, but you’ve still got to take your opportunities to take wickets.

“We’ve got to be patient with him, not push him too early. Test cricket is a hard game, you’re going to bowl to people on flat decks in their domain and they will hurt you.”

SeamUp

International Coach
Rassie van der Dussen
Must say, he looks a tall elegant player. Worked hard to break into franchise cricket at 23/24. We will see him in the champions league but more suitable to the longer version.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Quite odd but the domestic season is starting with 50 overs cricket unlike 4-day cricket and it is also starting later than previous seasons in October.

SeamUp

International Coach
Champions League Squads

LIONS (Morris chosen IPL team)

Alviro Petersen, Quinton de Kock, Rassie van der Dussen, Neil McKeznie, Gulam Bodi, Jean Symes, Temba Bavuma, Thami Tsolekile, Dwaine Pretorius
Aaron Phangiso, Imran Tahir
Sohail Tanvir, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Hardus Viljoen, Ethan O'Reilly

TITANS (du Plessis & A. Morkel chosen IPL teams)

Jacques Rudolph, Henry Davids, AB de Villiers, Farhaan Behardien, Heino Kuhn, Graeme van Buuren, David Wiese, Mangaliso Mosehle
Roelof van der Merwe, Eden Links
Morne Morkel, Marchant de Lange, Ethy Mbhalati, Rowan Richards, CJ de Villiers

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
hell this off season had been horrible. Why does our cricket team play so little test cricket argh!

We had a good chance to really press the advantage. now we allowed teams like england to catch up.

Does CSA just suck?

Marius

International Debutant
hell this off season had been horrible. Why does our cricket team play so little test cricket argh!

We had a good chance to really press the advantage. now we allowed teams like england to catch up.

Does CSA just suck?
Against who could we have played?

The only two teams that play cricket in our off-season are England, and to a degree, Sri Lanka.

We were supposed to play SL in a Test series, but this was cancelled at the SL board's request, because it would have clashed with their T20 league.

That would have been a cracker series though.