• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The third best spinner of all time?

Third best spinner of all time?

• Total voters

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Always used to come down between O'Reilly and Laker. But looking at opposition, team structure, conditions ect, Chandra seems to be creeping into contention for me.

Geoffboycott

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Where's harbhajan Singh? The second highest wicket taker off spinner? And the fourth highest wicket taking spinner of all time. After harbhajan I'd say Kumble bedi or underwood.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Over in India playing for Mumbai, if I'm not mistaken.
Wherever he is, he's nowhere near this list. Stats aren't the be-all and end-all; they lie.

Also, you derailed another thread with this line of argument. In the inevitable event of people disagreeing with you, please do not respond in an overly-aggressive or condescending manner.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Well of course he's supporting Harbhajan - knocked him out of the contest first time around.

Anyway, my answer to the question is O'Reilly. I reckon the way he bowled - quick, with natural and intended variation - worked perfectly in his era and he found the weaknesses of who he bowled to perfectly.

I've posted this quote before but it definitely resonates with me - from Maurice Leyland, generally regarded as one of (if not the) finest players of spin of his day:

Leyland's Cricinfo Profile said:
If he knew himself to have the measure of the great O'Reilly, who was no paper tiger, he also retained the respect of one master for another. Describing an over of fearsome hostility, he said: "First he bowled me an off-break, then he bowled me a leg-break; then his googly, then a bumper, then one that went with his arm . . . ."

"But that's only five, Maurice. What about the last one ?"

"Oh, that," said Maurice deprecatingly. "That was a straight 'un and it bowled me."

Last edited:

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Where's harbhajan Singh? The second highest wicket taker off spinner? And the fourth highest wicket taking spinner of all time. After harbhajan I'd say Kumble bedi or underwood.
Not sure if serious of VirutheBest

Walsh took more wickets than Marshall he wan't better though.

Inclined to Grimmet voted Verity because I drank in the club named after him the other week.:happy:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
For me its between Grimmett and O'Reilly, with Laker in fifth. Unless you count Barnes as a spinner. Voted Grimmett.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
went for Grimmett over O'reilly on account of him being more inventive - he invented the flipper for instance. However it would have been a tough call if Mckay's back-of-the-hand slower balls were in their.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The baffling and, frankly, shameful omission of Fred Titmus means only one of the contenders has a Half Man Half Biscuit song named after them, so it's a no-brainer.

watson

Banned
If you're going by the testimony of some great batsman then Bill O'Reilly would be very close to being the third best spinner of all time on that list.

I'd like to offer Sydney Barnes though. As well as the many testimonies of admiring batsman he also has superb stat's. Not that O'Reilly's are bad, they're very good. It's just that the Strike Rate and Average of Sydney Barnes were on a level above.

Here is an interesting article that compares the numbers between Barnes and Murali;

Blogs: Barnes and Muralitharan at par | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

watson

Banned
Barnes is probably the greatest bowler of all time, but he was a medium pace bowler who bowled 'breaks'. He is his own category.
O'Reilly and Chandra also bowled 'breaks' yet we have no problem classifying them as leg-spinners. In fact Chandra rarely bowled a leg-spinner but instead relied heavily on the top-spinner delivered from the back of the hand.

All in all, I would say that Barnes implied more consistent side-spin (finger spin) on the ball than what O'Reilly or Chandra ever did. At least that's how the eye-witnesses recorded it, and admittedly sometimes eye-witnesses get it wrong or exaggerate somewhat.

For the most part Barnes was a finger-spinner who spun the ball from leg to off - that is his category.

Last edited: