• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why there is no Welsh national team?

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Because the England team is technically the England and Wales cricket team.

Not sure beyond that though.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There isnt a good answer why not. 15-20 yrs ago they would have had a decent team. They should have a team given there int a logical reason why they don't. All the arguments against, Glamorgan in CC, Wales as part of ECB etc are easily negotiable hurdles.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Used to be one, in fact.

Took part in the 1979 ICC Trophy which doubled as a qualifier for the same year's world cup.

Beat the Netherlands and Israel, lost to the US and their match with Sri Lanka was rained off.

Interestingly Ireland and Scotland didn't take part.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The performance of their national teams at other sports has rather put them off, I suspect.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, when was the last time anyone said 'the England and Wales cricket team' in a formal conversation though.

Its kind of a rough deal on the Welsh tbh.

iirc = if I remember correctly

Last edited:

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
There isnt a good answer why not. 15-20 yrs ago they would have had a decent team. They should have a team given there int a logical reason why they don't. All the arguments against, Glamorgan in CC, Wales as part of ECB etc are easily negotiable hurdles.
Glamorgan is probably the biggest opponent of a Welsh team, they don't want to fall outside the ECB and their conspicuous subsidizing.

Apart from that, I used sometimes to refer to the ECB as EWCB and to their cricket team as either 'Wales' or 'England and Wales', but that was just for banter during games with english fans.

If anything, I'd love to see a 'Europe Lions' First Class XI, that could possibly draft also 2 or 3 uncapped englishmen. I wonder how the best from Ireland, the Netherlands, Scotland and Denmark (with the injection of a couple of solid county players) would fare against Bangladesh, New Zealand or Zimbabwe.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Гурин;3052847 said:
Glamorgan is probably the biggest opponent of a Welsh team, they don't want to fall outside the ECB and their conspicuous subsidizing.

Apart from that, I used sometimes to refer to the ECB as EWCB and to their cricket team as either 'Wales' or 'England and Wales', but that was just for banter during games with english fans.

If anything, I'd love to see a 'Europe Lions' First Class XI, that could possibly draft also 2 or 3 uncapped englishmen. I wonder how the best from Ireland, the Netherlands, Scotland and Denmark (with the injection of a couple of solid county players) would fare against Bangladesh, New Zealand or Zimbabwe.
Probably not very well.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Danmark (Denmark)?

Гурин;3052847 said:
Cricket in Denmark? I have never heard of that. Are they strong? Is their national team shirt available?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cricket in Denmark? I have never heard of that. Are they strong? Is their national team shirt available?
Look up Freddie Klokker. He's their best player of recent vintage. Ole Mortensen is probably the greatest Danish cricketer of all time, I suspect.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Amjad Khan has achieved higher honours than Freddie ftr.
He was a British citizen by the time he played for England. I deliberately left him out, but he's a fair enough call. He played for Denmark after all.

Still not as good a player as Mortensen though. Bloody good bowler, old Stan.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I suppose they should be competing in those ICC events etc

But just looking at the Glamorgan squad (would make majority of the Welsh team) they are heading for the wooden spoon in division 2 for me.

Players like Robert Croft & Simon Jones are pretty chuffed with their careers playing for 'England' and possibly James Harris in the same boat soon.

On the aspect fo calling them 'England and Wales' it would embarass the English I would presume so while its technically the England and Wales Cricket board in the casual chat its still Team England or ECB.

One of crickets unique situations I would say.

Off topic,was just thinking how close the Irish are to something successful.

Just say Eoin Morgan was eligible for Ireland still that would make Ed Joyce, Will Porterfield, Boyd Rankin, George Dockerell, Eoin Morgan, Paul Stirling, Tim Murtagh & Gary Wilson all part of Division one squads. Just Niall O'Brien in Division Two. Not bad going that for wee Dublin and Belfast.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm not that sure. The Irish have a decent team even by themselves, add ten Doeschate, Borren and Kervezee to the mix, I'm pretty sure that in a short time they'd be no pushovers

A pity that Morgan and Nannes would not be available anymore. Oh, and Phil Hughes :) If we also add players with a double passport (I'm sure you'll find plenty in Oz, SA and England), we might have a pretty good side available.

Look up Freddie Klokker. He's their best player of recent vintage. Ole Mortensen is probably the greatest Danish cricketer of all time, I suspect.
You mean the Derbyshire seamer in the '80s and '90s? He was norwegian if I recall correctly