View Poll Results: Most important captaincy credential

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Field placement/tactics

    7 24.14%
  • Man-management/personal leadership

    15 51.72%
  • Their personal performances

    2 6.90%
  • Usman Khawaja is a negative influence on the squad

    5 17.24%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 114

Thread: What do you value in a captain?

  1. #91
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,572
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    I M (with) Chappell
    Solid.

  2. #92
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    'Tailended chasing' works about 95% of the time. It's just that when it doesn't work you hear about it.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  3. #93
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,036
    Well I must have watched the 5% of the time when it 100% didn't work.

  4. #94
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    No, you just must listen to Ian Chappell too much, or maybe it's the fact that you don't notice that's what they're doing when it works straight away??

    Funny that.


  5. #95
    International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,399
    Tailend chasing in the grade of cricket I play is a great tactic. As is deliberately not dismissing a batsman who is not scoring runs, especially in one dayers. And it ****s in the face of older "heroes" who hide themselves down at number 7 or 8 in a batting line up, and expect to come out swinging with 10 overs to go.

  6. #96
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,036
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    No, you just must listen to Ian Chappell too much, or maybe it's the fact that you don't notice that's what they're doing when it works straight away??

    Funny that.
    Look: I've listened to him and I've read what you've said. I've seen with mine own eyes. I've come to my own conclusion.

  7. #97
    Hall of Fame Member Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    19,746
    The thing that ****s me off about the "let's bowl at the tailender" tactic is that for some reason the batsman who you're setting the field back to looks impregnable.

  8. #98
    Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Stopping the AFL spreading to NZ
    Posts
    9,674
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    The thing that ****s me off about the "let's bowl at the tailender" tactic is that for some reason the batsman who you're setting the field back to looks impregnable.
    Indeed - even when I've seen it at club level it seems to fuel the incumbent batsman's confidence like nothing else. I am not arguing against the tactic just that yes all of a sudden the guy who is on 56 starts batting like he's on 456.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

  9. #99
    First Class Debutant Jnr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Queensland
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    The thing that ****s me off about the "let's bowl at the tailender" tactic is that for some reason the batsman who you're setting the field back to looks impregnable.
    I agree. The whole mood of the game changes and the batsman knows that you're not trying to dismiss him. Also, modern tailenders have the ability to survive for extended periods...

  10. #100
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,634
    well extended period is a failure of the captain to recognise the tactic has past its effective usefulness. it's designed to get the bunny on strike quick and wrap it up. if the guy deals with it, well its time to change tactic.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  11. #101
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,572
    yeah good post uvelocity. The problem is when captains (Dhoni, Yousuf and a few others) do it for far too long.

  12. #102
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    43,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    yeah good post uvelocity. The problem is when captains (Dhoni, Yousuf and a few others) do it for far too long.
    Yeah I agree. Captains are always really reluctant to swallow their pride on this one if the batsman is farming the strike well anyway or the tailender looks comfortable in defence.
    ~ Cribbage

  13. #103
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    43,336
    I think you have to pick your batsmen a bit too. If you've got Chanderpaul in with Tino Best then yeah I'd look at just trying to keep Chanderpaul off strike because he doesn't bat very well with the tail a lot of the time and Best has virtually no defence.

    A Hussey/Siddle combination would be a much different prospect though. Hussey has played some really good innings with the tail against captains employing that very tactic, and Siddle's defensive game is really sound, so I'd probably just look to attack both batsmen even if Siddle had come out at 11.

    I like the tactic overall, and I'd give it a go early on in most situations, but I think a lot of captains are too rigid and stubborn with it.

  14. #104
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,306
    It's a good tactic if you're up against a batsman who you know doesn't like to play a subtle game. You know with 9 wickets down a guy like McCullum will just be looking for the fence, why give him those easy runs?
    Exit pursuing a beer

  15. #105
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,838
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    Interesting question, which seems very divisive on CW.

    Obviously it's easy to tell between a good captain and a bad one, but what facet of them do you notice the most? Inspired fields? The loyalty of your team? Leading by example with bat or ball?

    Discuss.
    Luck

    After that, man management.

    After that, decision making.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mushfiqur Rahim named Bangladesh captain
    By BlazeDragon in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-09-2011, 04:58 AM
  2. International Cricket Captain Ashes Edition
    By Squirrel in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-06-2011, 06:34 PM
  3. Pakistan about to get another new Captain
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 28-05-2010, 02:08 PM
  4. Test Captains- an in-depth look
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2009, 05:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •