• Their personal performances

2 6.90%
  • Usman Khawaja is a negative influence on the squad

5 17.24%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you value in a captain?

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    For mine, I can rarely see any point in not being aggressive as a captain (in test cricket). In the field you always have to want wickets. As soon as the slips start coming out, and the field gets pushed back, the batsman know they're on top. You have to back your bowlers to do their job with aggressive/positive field placements etc.
    See, this is what Chappell says, but it's not the case. If you don't have the bowling ability to regularly keep producing chances behind the wicket it is absolutely pointless to set fields for that. You're better off getting wickets by sitting fields in front of the wicket, looking to block pressure release zones for batsmen and get them that way.

For example, Sehwag. When he comes in to bat, a deep point is set in place. This is not a negative tactic because Sehwag isn't the player that can manipulate the field by pushing ones to that man, so you cut off his release zones by letting him get a single out there. It's more risk to play that shot because his reward is one run opposed to the reward of four if he executes.

For spin bowlers, it is not a negative tactic to have players deep down the ground. That cuts off that shot and instead gives the bowler confidence to throw the ball up because he knows it's not a wicket/four/six situation, all of a sudden it becomes a wicket/single/six (though this risk becomes huge) prospect.

In India for example, you need to get wickets in front of the wicket. You plug boundaries to choke the scoring rate and then bowl to plans and wear them down.

Being 'aggressive' isn't always the best way to get wickets.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Completely agree with Benchy here.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    see, this is what chappell says, but it's not the case. If you don't have the bowling ability to regularly keep producing chances behind the wicket it is absolutely pointless to set fields for that. You're better off getting wickets by sitting fields in front of the wicket, looking to block pressure release zones for batsmen and get them that way.

For example, sehwag. When he comes in to bat, a deep point is set in place. This is not a negative tactic because sehwag isn't the player that can manipulate the field by pushing ones to that man, so you cut off his release zones by letting him get a single out there. It's more risk to play that shot because his reward is one run opposed to the reward of four if he executes.

For spin bowlers, it is not a negative tactic to have players deep down the ground. That cuts off that shot and instead gives the bowler confidence to throw the ball up because he knows it's not a wicket/four/six situation, all of a sudden it becomes a wicket/single/six (though this risk becomes huge) prospect.

In india for example, you need to get wickets in front of the wicket. You plug boundaries to choke the scoring rate and then bowl to plans and wear them down.

Good post

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    See, this is what Chappell says, but it's not the case. If you don't have the bowling ability to regularly keep producing chances behind the wicket it is absolutely pointless to set fields for that. You're better off getting wickets by sitting fields in front of the wicket, looking to block pressure release zones for batsmen and get them that way.

For example, Sehwag. When he comes in to bat, a deep point is set in place. This is not a negative tactic because Sehwag isn't the player that can manipulate the field by pushing ones to that man, so you cut off his release zones by letting him get a single out there. It's more risk to play that shot because his reward is one run opposed to the reward of four if he executes.

In India for example, you need to get wickets in front of the wicket. You plug boundaries to choke the scoring rate and then bowl to plans and wear them down.

I agree with what you're saying and the points you're making. I probably put it in fairly simplistic terms (removing slips). I certainly don't mean aggressive captaincy is simply having 5 slips and 2 gullies all the time. I don't think Chappell's philosophy would be that simple either.

Anyway, I agree with all your points, but the point I was trying to make is that captains need to be pursuing wickets in some way. Perhaps a better word to use in place of 'aggressive' would be 'positive'.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    While Clarke is a great tactician on field, he is possibly struggling to keep order in the house (based on speculation only).
    TBF I think Homeworkgate means we have more solid evidence for this than mere speculation only.

Most people don't rate Chappeli as a commentator, but I do. Pretty insightful during match commentary. He spouts a lot of crap on his videoblogs and in print, but he knows the game better than almost anyone imo.
    He's kinda the Australian Boycs, IMHO. Only with less evil and more actual captaincy credentials.

Can be an absolutely irritating twatt at times, but his commentary intersects with good sense too often for it to be a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    It depends on the team Darren Sammy's no great strategist or tactician, but he's done what no Windies captain seems to have done for nearly a decade or more and got the team pulling in the same direction.

Some teams are best served having a Sammy some teams are better suited to having a tactician.
    Yeah, absolutely agree.

Sammy's appointment was, IMHO, something of a masterstroke because he, as a genuinely humble and good guy, has managed to get all the considerable egos in the Windies dressing room pulling together without having to go all alpha male and ****ish on their arses.

Given the WICB's general MO one suspects this was more luck than foresight, but credit where it's due and all that.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

As with most leadership roles, I reckon he should be a jack of all trades and a master of none.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

As far as on field tactics go, what I think is most important but seems to be lacking from the modern captains is the ability to think on their feet.

When plan A or even B is not working to have the courage and insight to be able to come up with something else. Game plans and field settings for each batsmen are all devised before they take the field, it seems to me most skippers in the game today are pretty lost when these aren't working out.

Quote Originally Posted by Adders View Post
    As far as on field tactics go, what I think is most important but seems to be lacking from the modern captains is the ability to think on their feet.

When plan A or even B is not working to have the courage and insight to be able to come up with something else. Game plans and field settings for each batsmen are all devised before they take the field, it seems to me most skippers in the game today are pretty lost when these aren't working out.
    This was one of the things I enjoyed about Clarke's captaincy initially. He has that innate ability to know what might work, and he has the guts to try it.

If we're talking tactics only - I can't see how anyone can disagree with what Benchy is saying. He is not saying being an aggressive captain is bad, he is just saying you can't be aggressive every over of the day in test cricket. There are times - and it depends on the match situation, the series situation, and your resources - where being defensive is a suitable tactic.

I'm surprised this is even controversial from Benchy. In what sport is being aggressive 24/7 the right way to be? There are times - whether it be when you're trying to kill the clock, stop the other team's momentum, stay in the game - for all sports where a defensive strategy is the right way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    If we're talking tactics only - I can't see how anyone can disagree with what Benchy is saying. He is not saying being an aggressive captain is bad, he is just saying you can't be aggressive every over of the day in test cricket. There are times - and it depends on the match situation, the series situation, and your resources - where being defensive is a suitable tactic.

I'm surprised this is even controversial from Benchy. In what sport is being aggressive 24/7 the right way to be? There are times - whether it be when you're trying to kill the clock, stop the other team's momentum, stay in the game - for all sports where a defensive strategy is the right way to go.
    Apart from the last innings in a test match, when it seems clear that the fielding team won't be able to take ten wickets for whatever reason, but the batting team might score the runs required to win, why would you look to be defensive?

The only situation I can think of is if you have injured bowlers, and you need to bowl part timers to give the main bowlers a rest. Then you might set defensive fields.

If you are being defensive by trying to restrict scoring and frustrate batsmen because they are set, that's still a positive method of play, aggressive sort of (in seeking a wicket somehow). But it's also your last resort in a test imo.

I think you'd be silly to think that had Chappell been less fortunate with his cattle, that he'd not have employed different tactics too. Often the job of the commentator is to stimulate some kind of discussion and thinking and Chappell does do that. Cricket is a funny game where you can do what seems even like the wrong thing to do in a situation and it can work.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Well that's where the disagreement lies. It seems like you're saying the best way to take wickets at all times is with aggressive fields which just isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Well that's where the disagreement lies. It seems like you're saying the best way to take wickets at all times is with aggressive fields which just isn't the case.
    It's not necessarily aggressive fields. It's an aggressive mentality that's looking for wickets, and if they aren't happening, looking for ways to create them.

It's not necessarily aggressive fields. It's an aggressive mentality that's looking for wickets, and if they aren't happening, looking for ways to create them.
    Yes, the confusion here lies with the wording of 'aggressive'.

No captain thinks '**** I don't want a wicket here, I hope we don't get one' (except maybe if it's 4 overs left in the day, 9 down and it would mean having to go out to bat for 2 overs).

Take for example the situation where you have an established top order player batting with a #11 bunny. Your best chance of getting the wicket is to bowl as many balls as possible to the #11, so you set players back on the boundary and stop the boundaries and 2's so it's either a dot ball, or he'll have to expose the #11. This essentially is not trying to get the wicket of the top order batsman, BUT by doing so you're increasing the overall likelihood of getting a wicket.

And just finishing this up, the reason why Chappell is a **** commentator is not because he is always saying they should be looking for a wicket, every commentator says that, the reason why he's **** is because he thinks the only way to get wickets is to have aggressive fields.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information