• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is IPL required?

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
I have been surfing other forums lately...

IPL is receiving a lot of unnecessary hatred..saying it is denting cricket a lot....

Whats your opinion guyzzz?

IPL Good or Evil?

P.S:If their is another thread related to this merge it.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Yeah if it wern't so gimmicky I could probably watch most of the games a season muted and not be too bothered by it as it stands its a bit **** but bearable on occasions.

Satyanash89

Banned
I want to hate it... but then i see Dravid and Rahane playing silky smooth innings with no wild slogs, Good old Gilly smashing little kid bowlers around, ABDV smashing a 140kph yorker from Steyn for six over long off, and Sachin and Ponting opening the batting with Murali bowling. :D
Yeah, its gawdy, unnecessarily loud, and the theme song is an abomination, but there's lots of stuff in it which makes it worth the effort...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
IPL is a god send for the domestic cricketers who get decent money to play in it for 2 months, and who can then calmly concentrate on FC cricket the rest of the time without the burden of thinking that they might be able to provide a better living for their family by becoming an accountant :happy: India is not England, or Australia. No social insurance, you see..

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
The one problem i have with IPL is ppl getting picked by IPL performance...... Ex: Vijay

Who got destroyed in SA!!!!Ever since IPL started...India should have become a power house in T20's

On the contrary India never qualified for knockout's in T20 WC's....

Satyanash89

Banned
The one problem i have with IPL is ppl getting picked by IPL performance......
Yeah, this is my biggest problem with the IPL, too.

I have no problem with youngsters making money in the IPL, but dont bring them into test cricket on the basis of those performances FFS

stumpski

International Captain
Yeah if it wern't so gimmicky I could probably watch most of the games a season muted and not be too bothered by it as it stands its a bit **** but bearable on occasions.
Is anyone showing it in the UK this year? I couldn't see it anywhere yesterday. That being the case I'll be paying even less attention to it than usual.

BeeGee

International Captain
I'm not a fan of T20 in general, so it's not really my cup of tea (probably won't watch a single game this year). I neither hate nor love it.

What I do like is top cricketers being well paid for their abilities. With the proliferation of professional sports around the world I think it's important that cricket offers talented youngsters that financial opportunity. We don't want them being lured away from cricket to other sports for financial reasons.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's just a domestic T20 League. Nothing wrong with it and it gets far too much stick.
The only issue I have with it is the fact that there now seems to be an unofficial window for it. It's no coincidence that there's very little international cricket during the tournament and it really hurts West Indian cricket especially. For that reason it has a far greater impact than just being a domestic T20 competition.

I have no issue with it other than that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
IWhat I do like is top cricketers being well paid for their abilities. With the proliferation of professional sports around the world I think it's important that cricket offers talented youngsters that financial opportunity. We don't want them being lured away from cricket to other sports for financial reasons.
On the flip side, we don't want young cricketers prioritising the development of their T20 skills for financial gain either. Glenn Maxwell earning so much more than Alastair Cook can't really be great for the game.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As a fan I couldn't care less. If I was a player then I would love it. If I was an administrator then I would hate it.

Just depends what hat you are wearing. I'm all for pros bilking as much money as possible for what, IMO, is a pointless exercise

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The only issue I have with it is the fact that there now seems to be an unofficial window for it. It's no coincidence that there's very little international cricket during the tournament and it really hurts West Indian cricket especially. For that reason it has a far greater impact than just being a domestic T20 competition.

I have no issue with it other than that.
True, but there was quite a bit of international cricket during the IPL last year. England in Sri Lanka, Australia in West Indies and West Indies in England. This year a lot of the international cricket was played just before the tournament, which, coincidence or not, didn't really harm anyone. In a way, I actually think the tournament is in a good slot. It's in between the Southern and Northern hemisphere summers, so it only ever clashes with the West Indies and Sri Lankan playing seasons. Admittedly, it isn't great for both those countries because of that, but there's plenty of time for international cricket either side. Perhaps the tournament could do with being a couple of weeks shorter for that reason though.

harsh.ag

On the flip side, we don't want young cricketers prioritising the development of their T20 skills for financial gain either. Glenn Maxwell earning so much more than Alastair Cook can't really be great for the game.
I actually think that's the good thing about it. Now you can get into cricket, especially in the poorer nations, and have at least some reassurance that if you don't end up becoming a really good cricketer, you can still make money by shifting your priorities slightly. It is the equivalent of the TV soaps. The fact that they exist do not lower the emergence rate of good theater actors. In fact, since cricket actually becomes more lucrative, more kids might be allowed to join in by their parents, and when you have a bigger pool of emerging players, the probability of finding good test players should increase. Whatsay?

grecian

It's not for me, I will watch it, am now, because I'll watch any cricket on the box. Even Womens FFS.

Yet, I think this is a very poor version of it. I like t20 as well. Yet the Indian bowlers are often what let it down, there's so few I want to watch.

You look at this match being played now, how many of Pune bowlers are remotely interesting to watch.

Dale Steyn the only one on view in this match. Most bowling is just turgid spoiler stuff, IMHO.

Ishant Sharma and Ashok Dinda are not something I want to see in a world-wide Top-Class competition.