Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is IPL required?

GGG
    I personally like it and for a country like mine (New Zealand) it gives young players an insentive to stick to cricket instead of choosing rugby over cricket which happens quite a lot.

Personally I find all T20 instantly forgetable.

I umpire a reasonable amount of school/age group cricket in England and don't, as yet, see many adopting swish and giggle batting techniques - the same in senior cricket.

It's a fad, and like all fads will fimd its proper interest level at times - it might already have done so in England where the packed houses of a few years back are rather rarer..

The hype of the IPL makes it, if anything, less watchable - I wouldn't be surprised if before too long it becomes less glamourous and the peripheral non cricketing stars fade away along with some of the dubious characters inb=volved in the funding of it.

Honestly, I like T20s, but in a very different way to test matches. I get to watch many players who I otherwise don't have the time to see playing, that too in an environment in which they are relaxed and having fun. Watching Sachin, Ponting and Murali together was a treat.

If it is a question of just IPL, then I think within the context of T20 domestic leagues, IPL is the most relevant/important because it provides the highest financial incentives to the players (which is the main reason the format is played anyway). I think they should make a sort of World Series in the IPL with no restrictions on the number of foreign players in a team, and with a division 2 championship from which 2 best teams are promoted up each year at the expense of the lowest 2 teams from division 1 (basically the club football model). Would actually make the whole think more sustainable as the years go by.
    Last edited by harsh.ag; 08-04-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    ~ Do you think I care for you so little that betraying me would make a difference ~

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Honestly, I like T20s, but in a very different way to test matches. I get to watch many players who I otherwise don't have the time to see playing, that too in an environment in which they are relaxed and having fun.
    Exactly this

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    It's sport. The value of any sport is only you assign it. Is IPL required - is the same question as asking if Test cricket is required? No. But it's here.

If I was a player, and good enough to get a contract and I was from WI/NZ/SL, I'd love the IPL and would think about playing that over playing Tests. Players in those countries don't make anything, and being a professional cricketer hardly gives you too many marketable skills - you're over the hill just as your friends are hitting their career strides. And up until recently, it's not like you made a lot more money than them to make up for it. Suicide rates and poverty rates, historically, have been very high amongst professional cricketers.

So yea, I think it's a fantastic thing. But as a fan, I don't like watching it, and I don't generally follow it unless I want to see something specific. I think in the past three years, I might have watched a total of 15 overs of IPL. But hey, if you're a fan, and you like it, all the more power to you. It's like any other sport - it's personal preference.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 08-04-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    SS talking a lot of sense these days, scary stuff.. go back to Gambhiring in India matches
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Tbh I think SS got murdered and replaced by a bot.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Tom View Post
    Tbh I think SS got murdered and replaced by a bot.
    Cribbot
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

The Big Bash League and its predecessor, the KFC T20 Big Bash, promoted local Australian players and provided an explosive roster for Australia in T20s. England, the home of T20, have plenty of T20 players who can win games, including the World T20 tournament. Even Sri Lanka's and Bangladesh's Premierships give plenty of opportunities.

On the other hand, we barely find Indians in the frontlines in IPL teams. Teams such as Kolkata, Bangalore, Mumbai and Punjab stuff their top four with overseas players. Some teams have two overseas players as strike bowlers. With very little opportunities for Indian players, they get very limited chances to grow, and when India field T20I XIs, they are found so hopelessly inept, the lack of opportunities in the IPL show. While the likes of Gayle, Hodge and Wright effortlessly play the big shots and run hard, Indians get out playing million-dollar shots and running too hard. Their bowlers have no clue about how to face T20 stalwarts. We find T20 misfits such as Manoj Tiwary actually fielded in T20I matches!

The IPL will regain its relevance only when the number of overseas players is reduced, in each squad and the playing XI. Why should Indian teams depend so much on overseas players, unlike their Aussie or English counterparts? I want my country's premier T20 league to unearth an Indian Luke Wright, Brad Hodge, Dirk Nannes and Azhar Mahmood.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    England will probably let you keep Luke Wright if you ask nicely tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Meh to IPL. It doesn't bother me and I think it has its place in the game as it could be a good seller to another, less patient generation, but I just generally ignore cricket at this part of the year due to the fact I just find it so tacky and gimmicky.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    England will probably let you keep Luke Wright if you ask nicely tbh.
    I tried that in another thread a few years ago. They wouldn't let go.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    People playing and watching cricket>people not playing or watching cricket imo
    Exit pursuing a beer

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Cribbot
    Doesn't explain why his posts are sensible though..

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Is IPL required? Hell yeah,

just ask the players if you don't agree
    or the indian public
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information