• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is IPL required?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm not holding you to an inconsistency in thought or criticizing you because one can legitimately hold different things to different standards but this is such a non-liberetarian thing to say. :p
:laugh:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
IPL is good in terms of players getting paid more money. However I do think it ruins the way test cricket is played.

I do think Pakistani players also deserve to get paid better and IPL could help with that. They allow Pakistani coaches (Wasim, Mushy, Waqar), commies (Ramiz) and umpires (Ladies man Rauf) but not the players.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Azhar Mahmood gets a go as well, though his case is slightly different.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The IPL is not required, since it marginalises Indian players, capped or uncapped, while overseas players often get into the frontline. The excessive dependence on foreigners has taken its toll on developing Indian T20 players, because of which Indians struggle in T20, and the circle goes on. Contrast that with the other T20 leagues that actually develop local talent. That's what the country's cricket scene requires.

GGG

State Captain
I personally like it and for a country like mine (New Zealand) it gives young players an insentive to stick to cricket instead of choosing rugby over cricket which happens quite a lot.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Personally I find all T20 instantly forgetable.

I umpire a reasonable amount of school/age group cricket in England and don't, as yet, see many adopting swish and giggle batting techniques - the same in senior cricket.

It's a fad, and like all fads will fimd its proper interest level at times - it might already have done so in England where the packed houses of a few years back are rather rarer..

The hype of the IPL makes it, if anything, less watchable - I wouldn't be surprised if before too long it becomes less glamourous and the peripheral non cricketing stars fade away along with some of the dubious characters inb=volved in the funding of it.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly, I like T20s, but in a very different way to test matches. I get to watch many players who I otherwise don't have the time to see playing, that too in an environment in which they are relaxed and having fun. Watching Sachin, Ponting and Murali together was a treat.

If it is a question of just IPL, then I think within the context of T20 domestic leagues, IPL is the most relevant/important because it provides the highest financial incentives to the players (which is the main reason the format is played anyway). I think they should make a sort of World Series in the IPL with no restrictions on the number of foreign players in a team, and with a division 2 championship from which 2 best teams are promoted up each year at the expense of the lowest 2 teams from division 1 (basically the club football model). Would actually make the whole think more sustainable as the years go by.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's sport. The value of any sport is only you assign it. Is IPL required - is the same question as asking if Test cricket is required? No. But it's here.

If I was a player, and good enough to get a contract and I was from WI/NZ/SL, I'd love the IPL and would think about playing that over playing Tests. Players in those countries don't make anything, and being a professional cricketer hardly gives you too many marketable skills - you're over the hill just as your friends are hitting their career strides. And up until recently, it's not like you made a lot more money than them to make up for it. Suicide rates and poverty rates, historically, have been very high amongst professional cricketers.

So yea, I think it's a fantastic thing. But as a fan, I don't like watching it, and I don't generally follow it unless I want to see something specific. I think in the past three years, I might have watched a total of 15 overs of IPL. But hey, if you're a fan, and you like it, all the more power to you. It's like any other sport - it's personal preference.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Big Bash League and its predecessor, the KFC T20 Big Bash, promoted local Australian players and provided an explosive roster for Australia in T20s. England, the home of T20, have plenty of T20 players who can win games, including the World T20 tournament. Even Sri Lanka's and Bangladesh's Premierships give plenty of opportunities.

On the other hand, we barely find Indians in the frontlines in IPL teams. Teams such as Kolkata, Bangalore, Mumbai and Punjab stuff their top four with overseas players. Some teams have two overseas players as strike bowlers. With very little opportunities for Indian players, they get very limited chances to grow, and when India field T20I XIs, they are found so hopelessly inept, the lack of opportunities in the IPL show. While the likes of Gayle, Hodge and Wright effortlessly play the big shots and run hard, Indians get out playing million-dollar shots and running too hard. Their bowlers have no clue about how to face T20 stalwarts. We find T20 misfits such as Manoj Tiwary actually fielded in T20I matches!

The IPL will regain its relevance only when the number of overseas players is reduced, in each squad and the playing XI. Why should Indian teams depend so much on overseas players, unlike their Aussie or English counterparts? I want my country's premier T20 league to unearth an Indian Luke Wright, Brad Hodge, Dirk Nannes and Azhar Mahmood.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Meh to IPL. It doesn't bother me and I think it has its place in the game as it could be a good seller to another, less patient generation, but I just generally ignore cricket at this part of the year due to the fact I just find it so tacky and gimmicky.