Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is IPL required?

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    The only issue I have with it is the fact that there now seems to be an unofficial window for it. It's no coincidence that there's very little international cricket during the tournament and it really hurts West Indian cricket especially. For that reason it has a far greater impact than just being a domestic T20 competition.

I have no issue with it other than that.
    why is it worse for west indian cricket in particular? also its bad for cw having a window.... lack of posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    why is it worse for west indian cricket in particular? also its bad for cw having a window.... lack of posts
    Coincides with their summer I guess?
    Exit pursuing a beer

International 12th Man
    The main problem could be the effect it is allegedly having on lower developmental levels of the game. If young kids are all playing 2020 cricket rather than more traditional forms then there simply won't be the base for first class cricket. And i actually don't think playing exclusively 2020 cricket during development is likely to make someone a good 2020 player at higher levels either. It is a lot easier to adapt from first class cricket to 2020 than vice versa. All cricket requires a good technique to some extent and you just won't get that growing up playing 2020.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    All young kids start off playing a short form of the game though don't they? Maybe not 20 overs necessarily, but generally you don't send 9,10,11 year olds to field for 40 or 50 overs. I wan't in the school team or anything like that (they played on Saturdays, so had more time available) but when I think back to my schooldays we only had a couple of hours to play a match in, so they would probably have been 15 overs a side or thereabouts. I agree though that for adults/professionals, it's easier to adapt downwards.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    It's the cricket we needed, but not the cricket we deserve.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

One article I read (possibly by Michael Atherton) suggested that the rise of T20 and the domestic tournaments esp IPL could lead to club sides being more powerful than national teams in the future, such as in football where there's no doubt EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga sides etc are holding much more sway. Not something I'd like to see but maybe others would?

On the length of the tournament, personally I reckon iof the organisers would shorten it then it should be given an official window. It's not going away anytime soon, players will want to earn the money and you may as well let them have it while making sure it doesn't impact on international cricket. One effect of this could be though that all countries will demand a window for their own tournament?
    Last edited by VCC44; 06-04-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    Yeah, April is the peak of their season really. It clashes with the English season as well, but the internationals don't start until mid to late May usually, so it only clashes with County stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    All young kids start off playing a short form of the game though don't they? Maybe not 20 overs necessarily, but generally you don't send 9,10,11 year olds to field for 40 or 50 overs. I wan't in the school team or anything like that (they played on Saturdays, so had more time available) but when I think back to my schooldays we only had a couple of hours to play a match in, so they would probably have been 15 overs a side or thereabouts. I agree though that for adults/professionals, it's easier to adapt downwards.
    Yeah, club junior cricket is pretty much all 20 overs. I didn't start playing 40 over and all day games until I started playing senior cricket. Mind you, I started playing senior cricket at the age of 12.
    Last edited by Cabinet96; 06-04-2013 at 07:08 AM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Maxwell's on a million dollar contract for this season though. I highly doubt Cook earns that much even if he is earning as much or more than the typical IPL player.
    That's about 680k I believe, which means if Cook is on the 400k captain's rate (which I'd imagine has gone up given that was believed to be the wage 3-4 years ago) then his endorsments would almost certainly take him above that. Though his endorsments could conceivably go up if he played IPL, so dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Yeah, April is the peak of their season really. It clashes with the English season as well, but the internationals don't start until mid to late May usually, so it only clashes with County stuff.
    Disagree, the IPL is starting to negatively impact the first series of the English summer because players are starting to arrive in England a matter of days before the first Test and skipping warmups.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Disagree, the IPL is starting to negatively impact the first series of the English summer because players are starting to arrive in England a matter of days before the first Test and skipping warmups.
    You're just bloody jelly of the IPL and the BCCI's money

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Sucks for them tbh. On with the England!

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I'm not holding you to an inconsistency in thought or criticizing you because one can legitimately hold different things to different standards but this is such a non-liberetarian thing to say.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    IPL is good in terms of players getting paid more money. However I do think it ruins the way test cricket is played.

I do think Pakistani players also deserve to get paid better and IPL could help with that. They allow Pakistani coaches (Wasim, Mushy, Waqar), commies (Ramiz) and umpires (Ladies man Rauf) but not the players.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Azhar Mahmood gets a go as well, though his case is slightly different.

The IPL is not required, since it marginalises Indian players, capped or uncapped, while overseas players often get into the frontline. The excessive dependence on foreigners has taken its toll on developing Indian T20 players, because of which Indians struggle in T20, and the circle goes on. Contrast that with the other T20 leagues that actually develop local talent. That's what the country's cricket scene requires.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information