Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is IPL required?

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    IWhat I do like is top cricketers being well paid for their abilities. With the proliferation of professional sports around the world I think it's important that cricket offers talented youngsters that financial opportunity. We don't want them being lured away from cricket to other sports for financial reasons.
    On the flip side, we don't want young cricketers prioritising the development of their T20 skills for financial gain either. Glenn Maxwell earning so much more than Alastair Cook can't really be great for the game.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

As a fan I couldn't care less. If I was a player then I would love it. If I was an administrator then I would hate it.

Just depends what hat you are wearing. I'm all for pros bilking as much money as possible for what, IMO, is a pointless exercise
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    The only issue I have with it is the fact that there now seems to be an unofficial window for it. It's no coincidence that there's very little international cricket during the tournament and it really hurts West Indian cricket especially. For that reason it has a far greater impact than just being a domestic T20 competition.

I have no issue with it other than that.
    True, but there was quite a bit of international cricket during the IPL last year. England in Sri Lanka, Australia in West Indies and West Indies in England. This year a lot of the international cricket was played just before the tournament, which, coincidence or not, didn't really harm anyone. In a way, I actually think the tournament is in a good slot. It's in between the Southern and Northern hemisphere summers, so it only ever clashes with the West Indies and Sri Lankan playing seasons. Admittedly, it isn't great for both those countries because of that, but there's plenty of time for international cricket either side. Perhaps the tournament could do with being a couple of weeks shorter for that reason though.

On the flip side, we don't want young cricketers prioritising the development of their T20 skills for financial gain either. Glenn Maxwell earning so much more than Alastair Cook can't really be great for the game.
    I actually think that's the good thing about it. Now you can get into cricket, especially in the poorer nations, and have at least some reassurance that if you don't end up becoming a really good cricketer, you can still make money by shifting your priorities slightly. It is the equivalent of the TV soaps. The fact that they exist do not lower the emergence rate of good theater actors. In fact, since cricket actually becomes more lucrative, more kids might be allowed to join in by their parents, and when you have a bigger pool of emerging players, the probability of finding good test players should increase. Whatsay?
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

It's not for me, I will watch it, am now, because I'll watch any cricket on the box. Even Womens FFS.

Yet, I think this is a very poor version of it. I like t20 as well. Yet the Indian bowlers are often what let it down, there's so few I want to watch.

You look at this match being played now, how many of Pune bowlers are remotely interesting to watch.

Dale Steyn the only one on view in this match. Most bowling is just turgid spoiler stuff, IMHO.

Ishant Sharma and Ashok Dinda are not something I want to see in a world-wide Top-Class competition.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    By "we" I assume you mean FC/Test cricket lovers?

Personally, I agree with you, but what if the future of cricket is T20 and not Test matches?
    Over my lifetime I've watched the popularity of Test cricket wane and ODIs and T20 evolve as a result.

At this stage I think the first priority is for cricket to be able to compete well against other sports for young talent.

At the end of the day the sport watching public will decide what they want to watch and therefore what direction the sport develops in.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    It's not for me, I will watch it, am now, because I'll watch any cricket on the box. Even Womens FFS.

Yet, I think this is a very poor version of it. I like t20 as well. Yet the Indian bowlers are often what let it down, there's so few I want to watch.

You look at this match being played now, how many of Pune bowlers are remotely interesting to watch.

Dale Steyn the only one on view in this match. Most bowling is just turgid spoiler stuff, IMHO.

Ishant Sharma and Ashok Dinda are not something I want to see in a world-wide Top-Class competition.
    And yet unfortunately, not only are they main bowlers for their franchises and domestic sides, they are in the Indian Test Squad FFS. I mean, you probably have to watch them anyway if say you tuned in for a test match India are playing..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post

But any domestic tournament is going to have average players involved. It's probably more frustrating in the IPL, because they get paid more and the sides are allowed 4 overseas players, so you expect the general standard to be high. But lets face it, some of the bowling you'd get in a Somerset v Leicestershire (or whatever) game at Taunton is hardly incredible.

I think it's important to remember you're watching a domestic tournament, not the World T20 v2.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    And yet unfortunately, not only are they main bowlers for their franchises and domestic sides, they are in the Indian Test Squad FFS. I mean, you probably have to watch them anyway if say you tuned in for a test match India are playing..
    Indeed, that's why I mentioned those two really, they're the best, but there are plenty below it. It was a general dislike of Indian bowlers ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    But any domestic tournament is going to have average players involved. It's probably more frustrating in the IPL, because they get paid more and the sides are allowed 4 overseas players, so you expect the general standard to be high. But lets face it, some of the bowling you'd get in a Somerset v Leicestershire (or whatever) game at Taunton is hardly incredible.

I think it's important to remember you're watching a domestic tournament, not the World T20 v2.
    Totally agreed, and that's why I'd expect most Indian fans not to want to watch Somerset-Leicester. I only prefer it, because it's my domestic league.

Yet the IPL is not marketed as just another domestic league, is it?

Mind you, I've rather forgotten my main bloody dislike of the thing, it's too bloody long. Which I don't think helps in the intensity for players and watchers.

I would also like all domestic one-day stuff to be a lot shorter, but that's not going to happen.

Dale was fired up for this match, and that was fun, doubt he will be for that many other matches.
    Last edited by grecian; 05-04-2013 at 12:44 PM.

Willing to bet ECB central contracts are much more handsomely paid than we tend to imagine.

There's been a lot of comment on players like Broad, Anderson, or even Bopara or Patel "prioritising their country over money" or some such by not going to the IPL - but it seems more likely to me that the Test side is where the real money is after all.
    And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Willing to bet ECB central contracts are much more handsomely paid than we tend to imagine.

There's been a lot of comment on players like Broad, Anderson, or even Bopara or Patel "prioritising their country over money" or some such by not going to the IPL - but it seems more likely to me that the Test side is where the real money is after all.
    Maxwell's on a million dollar contract for this season though. I highly doubt Cook earns that much even if he is earning as much or more than the typical IPL player.

I'm not holding you to an inconsistency in thought or criticizing you because one can legitimately hold different things to different standards but this is such a non-liberetarian thing to say.
    Last edited by Teja.; 05-04-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    I'm not holding you to an inconsistency in thought or criticizing you because one can legitimately hold different things to different standards but this is such a non-liberetarian thing to say.
    **** that you pointed this out, means I missed a perfect opportunity to pull a communist cevno on him

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post

Aren't they 400k a year?

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    I get a feeling Cook is on more than 400k a year could be wrong but I remember the wages been mentioned in AOC or the Cricketer a few issues back.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information