• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden reaches 150

stumpski

International Captain
Can't wait for the usual whinges about players who never appeared in England in 2012 not being selected as one of the Five. Actually I don't think there'll be much English representation - my guess would be Kallis (finally!), Amla, Philander, Samuels and, maybe, Compton? Most of the England Test regulars have been chosen before.

stumpski

International Captain
In fact I see that Steyn has never been chosen either, so it could well be a Wisden Five without an English player. That has happened before, notably in 1949.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
From what I've seen, the general pattern is one domestic players, one from each touring country, and two form England. But they were prepared to give an extra one to an England player last year when India did **** all, so I wouldn't be surprised if only one, or perhaps even no England internationals get one. Compton, Amla and Samuals are probably certainties, who the other two will be I have no idea.

I assume Clarke will get leading cricketer of the year.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Can't wait for the usual whinges about players who never appeared in England in 2012 not being selected as one of the Five. Actually I don't think there'll be much English representation - my guess would be Kallis (finally!), Amla, Philander, Samuels and, maybe, Compton? Most of the England Test regulars have been chosen before.
Pretty solid effort there stumpski

stumpski

International Captain
A few moaning on Cricinfo that Kallis should have been picked years ago, but in truth he has generally under-performed in England. I'll be picking up my copy on Friday probably. Haven't worked out where the room can be made yet.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
A few moaning on Cricinfo that Kallis should have been picked years ago, but in truth he has generally under-performed in England. I'll be picking up my copy on Friday probably. Haven't worked out where the room can be made yet.
Yeah, they usually only pick one player from each touring side (right?) so I'm not surprised he hadn't been picked until now. Definitely think they wanted to make sure he got it this year though, as he might not ever get the chance again, and he'd be a pretty obvious absentee.

stumpski

International Captain
There have often been more than one from a touring party, especially when they've been on the winning side. I imagine it must have been quite a close call between Steyn and Philander.

Input from Fredfertang badly needed on this thread btw. I expect he's busy devouring the content though.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In 1949 Hubert Preston picked all five from the previous year's tourists - 'spose they must have been quite a good side