• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka ATG Team- Open Voting

Himannv

International Coach
Prasanna Jayawardene

Chaminda Vaas
Lasith Malinga

Dilshan really unlucky to miss out on an opening spot. Very tempted to vote for Goonatilleke as I think he was a better keeper. Prasanna has done a bit more to warrant a place though.

Himannv

International Coach
I reckon we should probably go for two spinners and give both Murali and Herath a spot. The two Ratnayakes' are unlucky to miss out but I think that's the way to go.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Happened upon this thread a bit late but;

Ashantha de Mel
Lasith Malinga

De Mel is rumoured to be the fastest (accurate also) Sri Lankan bowler thus far, so I think he deserves his spot for that reason. I wonder whether there are any Sri Lankan fans who can confirm that?

I'm saving Vaas for my first change.
De Mel was a good English type seamer, but not the fastest. Malinga and TB Kehelgamuwa are the ones known to be fastest. The latter was a pre test era bowler, and famously sent Boycott's off peg cartwheeling before he brought down the bat.

Malinga and two Ratnayake's are comparable. All three were plagued with injuries. But Ratnayake's played in a minnow team and still averaged pretty close to Malinga. And if they were fit, both had armoury better than Vaas and could have been better than Vaas. Additionally as Vaas they are handy with bat. Ravi Ratnayake is pretty good with the bat and Rumesh is useful.

On keepers, the best keeper SL had was Mahesh Goonetilleke. Best keeper bat is PJ. Batsman keeper is a toss between Sangakkara and Brendon Kuruppu.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Will call this one for Vaas, Malinga and Jayawardene.

Team thus far

Marvan Atapattu
Sanath Jayasuriya
Kumar Sangakkara
Aravinda de Silva
Mahela Jayawardene

Prasanna Jayawardene
Chaminda Vaas
Lasith Malinga

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Prassana Jayawardene was a good choice, his record in tests the last few years has been excellent (man of the series against England 2011) 4 test centuries and his excellent keeping make him a good choice.

Samaraweera takes my vote as the extra bat, an average of almost 50 and a decent record away from home. Both Murali and Herath deserve spots IMO, both have carried Sri Lanka's bowling for extended periods.

Satyanash89

Banned
Samaraweera takes my vote as the extra bat, an average of almost 50 and a decent record away from home. Both Murali and Herath deserve spots IMO, both have carried Sri Lanka's bowling for extended periods.
Yeah same here... although I did want Gurusinha in the side... can't have everything I suppose.
Murali and Herath both have to be in the side

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Arjuna and
Somachandra De Silva ..Don't know much about him but supposed to have been a good leg-spinner..
leg-spin of Silva and off-spin of Murali will be a good combination..

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Think the team and the reserves has basically been selected. but will let it play out and give all who wants to a chance to vote.

Himannv

International Coach
Doesn't this leave the team short a fast/medium/seam bolwer?
Won't affect them much imo. Herath is just too good to leave out ahead of any of the pace bowlers available. Additionally, Vaas would ideally bowl very long spells so lack of a third seamer wouldn't be noticed much.