• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka ATG Team- Open Voting

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Can safely call this for

Marvan Atapattu
Sanath Jayasuriya

Next the Middle Order and probably the most straight forward selections. Kindly choose any three of the following or any of your own choosing.

Aravinda de Silva
Roy Dias
Asanka Gurusinha
Mahela Jayawardene
Arjuna Ranatunga
Thilan Samaraweera
Kumar Sangakkara
Hashan Tillakaratne

Satyanash89

Banned
Sangakkara
Aravinda de Silva
Samaraweera

Yeah, that's right... Sanga is a shoe-in, but genuinely had to think about the other two spots.
Considering the fact that i believe Samaraweera to be criminally underrated and Mahela to be equally overrated, this wasnt an easy choice. The level of uselessness displayed by Mahela overseas in the last few years has been quite shocking and he's dropped a fair way in my eyes. I admit I don't necessarily think Samaraweera is a better batsman than him, but he wont get the votes required to put him above Mahela anyway, so this is sort of like a consolation tribute vote to Sam.
I want to fit Gurusinha into this squad somehow... No.6 maybe?

Last edited:

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Kumar
Aravinda
Arjuna *.. Man's worth is more than the weight and the runs he scored..Obviously team's boss..ooph love these 2 guys Arjuna and Aravinda..

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
update.

Aravinda de Silva: 7
Roy Dias: 0
Asanka Gurusinha: 0
Mahela Jayawardene : 5
Arjuna Ranatunga: 1
Thilan Samaraweera: 1
Kumar Sangakkara: 7
Hashan Tillakaratne: 0

Will let ir run for a bit more as they are only seven votes, though it seems pretty clear cut as expected. Love the protest votes againts Mahela, as he is over rated, but still the third best option here.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The totals may change but the results will not.

Kumar Sangakkara
Aravinda de Silva
Mahela Jayawardene

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Team thus far

Marvan Atapattu
Sanath Jayasuriya
Kumar Sangakkara
Aravinda de Silva
Mahela Jayawardene

Next up wicket keeper and opening bowlers

Kindly choose one of the following or any of your own choosing.

Mahes Goonatilleke
Prasanna Jayawardene
Romesh Kaluwitharana
Amal Silva

Similarily, kindly choose any two of the following or any of your choosing

Ashantha de Mel
Lasith Malinga
Rumesh Ratnayake
Ravi Ratnayeke
Chaminda Vaas

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I've got to admit there are holes in my knowledge of Sri Lankan cricket, to the point I have no idea who their best keeper would be.

Vaas has to be one of the bowlers. Maybe Malinga for the other.

watson

Banned
Happened upon this thread a bit late but;

Ashantha de Mel
Lasith Malinga

De Mel is rumoured to be the fastest (accurate also) Sri Lankan bowler thus far, so I think he deserves his spot for that reason. I wonder whether there are any Sri Lankan fans who can confirm that?

I'm saving Vaas for my first change.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Mine is not the stringest either, which is why I asked Miagra if he wanted to continue.
Prasanna seems a fair bet as he is excellent with the gloves and a competent bat. Vaas is a certainty for one spot and I will go with de Mel with the other.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Happened upon this thread a bit late but;

Ashantha de Mel
Lasith Malinga

De Mel is rumoured to be the fastest (accurate also) Sri Lankan bowler thus far, so I think he deserves his spot for that reason. I wonder whether there are any Sri Lankan fans who can confirm that?

I'm saving Vaas for my first change.
How about the keeper selection Watson?

watson

Banned
I remember Romesh Kaluwitharana for his 50 in the 1996 World Cup Final against Australia, whom he also seemed to play well against. He was always in the action, and I don't recall any major flaws in his keeping.

Romesh Kaluwitharana

Camo999

State 12th Man
Vaas is a definite. With 100 test wickets plus his world class performances in other formats I'll have to go for Malinga.

The keeper really is a tough one. Do you go for a pure keeper like P Jayawardene or Goonatilleke, the spectacular Kalu, a batting keeper like Hashan Tillekeratne, Chandimal or Kuruppu; or give the gloves to Sanga and pick an all-rounder or an extra bat (probably not).

In a year or so I'd possibly go for Chandimal but for the moment I'll throw Goonatilleke a vote.