• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Retired XI

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Let's say there was a hypothetical exhibition match scheduled within the month to play a first class match against some national team. You can only choose players that have already retired. Who would make up your team?

My Retired XI (Unrefined)

H. Gibbs
Strauss
Lara
Dravid
Ponting
Collingwood
Gilchrest
S. Pollock
Warne
Vaas
Murali

Edit: Forgot about Hussey. Could be used to replace Lara.

Last edited:

Satyanash89

Banned
Let's say there was a hypothetical exhibition match scheduled within the month to play a first class match against some national team. You can only choose players that have already retired. Who would make up your team?

My Retired XI (Unrefined)

H. Gibbs
Strauss
Lara
Dravid
Ponting
Collingwood
Gilchrest
S. Pollock
Warne
Vaas
Murali

Edit: Forgot about Hussey. Could be used to replace Lara.
McGrath instead of Vaas surely... Hayden and Langer opening

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I would definitely pick Hussey ahead of Lara if I wanted to win (not draw a larger crowd) and Brett Lee is a better option over someone like Shaun Pollock.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
McGrath is four years older.

I struggled to find suitable openers. Hayden can slot in, in front of Gibbs. Not sure Langer will perform better than Strauss at this stage.
But a much, much, better bowler. Can probably still bowl better than any of the current Aussies.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I might have Laxman in there ahead of Collingwood as well.

Malinga might be a good cheaty option.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
1. Simon Katich
2. Andrew Strauss
3. Rahul Dravid
4. Ricky Ponting
5. Thilan Samaraweera
6. Michael Hussey
7. Adam Gilchrist
8. Chaminda Vaas
9. Brett Lee
10. Shane Bond
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Considered Boucher, but getting him back wicketkeeping within the hypothetical next month would be a bit unrealistic. Vaas was still decent while playing in the CC, and Lee/Murali have T20 cricket to perform in.

Bond over Malinga because, as Daemon says, Malinga is a bit cheaty.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Would be a better thread if it was for people who were retired from internationals but still playing first class/T20 cricket.