• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best during The Don

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
To complete the set how about a combined best Test XI from the Don's years as a Test cricketer. One simple rule. Only performances during the dates that Bradman was a Test cricketer count. Therefore if someone had an illustrious career but only played a handful of Tests at the beginning or end of the Bradman years they can't be included.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
- Len Hutton
- Bruce Mitchell
- Don Bradman *
- George Headley
- Wally Hammond
- Dennis Compton
- Les Ames +
- Ray Lindwall
- Bill Bowes
- Bill O'Reilly
- Alec Bedser

Would've liked to have squeezed Miller in, but he only took 40 wickets in the timeframe available, and he can't dislodge any of the top 6 batsmen.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
- Len Hutton
- Bruce Mitchell
- Don Bradman *
- George Headley
- Wally Hammond
- Dennis Compton
- Les Ames +
- Ray Lindwall
- Bill Bowes
- Bill O'Reilly
- Alec Bedser

Would've liked to have squeezed Miller in, but he only took 40 wickets in the timeframe available, and he can't dislodge any of the top 6 batsmen.
Never expected anyone to pick Bill Bowes. I would have thought Larwood had a much better record during the period (but as usual I refuse to check cricinfo
)

Red

Never expected anyone to pick Bill Bowes. I would have thought Larwood had a much better record during the period (but as usual I refuse to check cricinfo
)
Bowes raw data in the timeframe is significantly better than Larwood's.

If we were picking an authentic team to match the times, we'd probably include Verity instead (with Hammond as the 3rd seamer).

- Len Hutton
- Bruce Mitchell
- Don Bradman *
- George Headley
- Wally Hammond
- Dennis Compton
- Les Ames +
- Hedley Verity
- Ray Lindwall
- Bill O'Reilly
- Alec Bedser

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Bradman*
Headley
Hammond
Miller
Ames +
Lindwall
Bowes
O'Reilly
Grimmett

Grimmett had similar stats to Verity, you know, except an extra 50 wickets, in this time frame. Miller and Hammond ain't bad 5th and 6th bowling options.

Last edited:

Red

Sutcliffe
Hutton
Bradman*
Headley
Hammond
Miller
Ames +
Lindwall
Bowes
O'Reilly
Grimmett

Grimmett had similar stats to Verity, you know, except an extra 50 wickets, in this time frame. Miller and Hammond ain't bad 5th and 6th bowling options.
True on Grimmett. Teams loved having a leggie and a left arm spinner in that era, which is why I opted for Verity over Grimmett.

Based on the timeframe given, Compton is impossible to leave out, which is why I left Miller out.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
True on Grimmett. Teams loved having a leggie and a left arm spinner in that era, which is why I opted for Verity over Grimmett.

Based on the timeframe given, Compton is impossible to leave out, which is why I left Miller out.
I just can't put him over Headley or Hammond. Miller's 40 wickets at 21.6 with a 60 strike rate, plus a batting average of 40+ just puts him ahead of Compton for me. Its very close. With a top 5 like that, I dunno if you'd need the extra runs. Plus you have Miller and Ames coming right after them. Lindwall's no slouch with a bat either.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Larwood got to be in the side surley?
He only really had that one good series.

For the record, for all the fast bowlers mentioned so far in this thread, during Bradman's career.

Ray Lindwall 15 Matches, 65 Wickets @ 18.92
Bill Bowes 15 Matches, 68 Wickets @ 22.33
Alec Bedser 16 Matches, 66 Wickets @ 33.18
Keith Miller 16 Matches, 40 Wickets @ 21.60
Harold Larwood 17 Matches, 63 Wickets @ 29.30
Wally Hammond 77 Matches, 65 Wickets @ 40.55