• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Air Cricket

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Inspired by this article: Why the kids don't play air shots with aubergines any more | Barney Ronay | Sport | guardian.co.uk

Was playing plenty of air blocks myself during that final session last week.

Personally find this form of the sport has a distinct advantage over the real thing, it being without the having to hit a real ball part, which I have never been any good at.

Find the kitchen is the ideal location for such a sport, providing a healthy supply of wooden spoons and the like.

So anyone got any favourite air shots? The Ponting lofted straight drive would have to mine.

Satyanash89

Banned
I flick virtually every ball to midwicket whether i imagine it to be on the pads or outside off stump, Azhar having been a childhood hero of mine and all :)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, I still do this fairly frequently. Whenever I'm walking along with an umbrella I'll attempt a cover drive if I think nobody else is looking.

Occasionally I may even skip a few paces and attempt a hefty slog. But only on special occasions.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, I still do this fairly frequently. Whenever I'm walking along with an umbrella I'll attempt a cover drive if I think nobody else is looking.

Occasionally I may even skip a few paces and attempt a hefty slog. But only on special occasions.
You carry an umbrella, and you want people to know this?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I often air bowl my leg cutter. Well, I straighten my arm and **** my wrist in readiness, anyway. Seems somehow more satisfying than air bowling a seam up delivery.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Everything is flicked to the leg side, with a hint of disdain directed at the bowler.

Quite possibly why I go out LBW so often in real cricket!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Someone else writing an article with dewey-eyed nostalgia about tv coverage constantly interrupted for horse-racing, without paying the slightest bit of attention to participation numbers and standards in age group cricket. Yawn.

Also, the fewer kids who have to watch Stuart Broad pouting when he reviews a decision that pitched three feet outside leg, the better.

Answering the question, the air-nick-off-to-first-slip is a personal favourite. Anybody else a fan of air stumpings?

watson

Banned
I generally open the face of the tennis racket to glide the ball between second slip and gully for four.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I still regularly do this, almost exclusively the straight-drive or block.

Kapil

Cricket Spectator
Gotta be the traditional invisible Viv Richards hook shot. I can almost feel the disdain directed towards Lenny Pascoe as I do it.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I frequently air-guide a 140 kph yorker bang on off-stump precisely in the gap between second slip and third slip for four. As you can imagine, I can't hold a bat to save my life.

Also used to air-bowl McGrath, Tuffey and Bond when I was younger but have thankfully stopped.