• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Post Mortem Test

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Here we are in the resurrection season and this afternoon I was flicking through the channels and ESPN Classic were showing short documentaries about old series between England and the West Indies including 1976. The fact that Roy Fredericks, Bob Woolmer, Chris Balderstone and Tony Greig are no longer with us got me thinking just how far back I could go and find that every participant in a Test Match during my time of watching is still alive.

I came up with this one. 1st Test: Australia v Pakistan at Adelaide, Dec 22-27, 1972 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

The deaths of Brian Luckhurst, Eknath Solkar, Colin Cowdrey and Eddie Barlow preventing me going back further..

Happy holidays.

archie mac

International Coach
Here we are in the resurrection season and this afternoon I was flicking through the channels and ESPN Classic were showing short documentaries about old series between England and the West Indies including 1976. The fact that Roy Fredericks, Bob Woolmer, Chris Balderstone and Tony Greig are no longer with us got me thinking just how far back I could go and find that every participant in a Test Match during my time of watching is still alive.

I came up with this one. 1st Test: Australia v Pakistan at Adelaide, Dec 22-27, 1972 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

The deaths of Brian Luckhurst, Eknath Solkar, Colin Cowdrey and Eddie Barlow preventing me going back further..

Happy holidays.
Interesting, I wonder which is the oldest Test which still sees every member alive and kicking. i don't think we could go back much further than the late 60s:unsure:

stumpski

International Captain
Tony Greig played in every England Test from 1972 to 1977, and before him Basil D'Oliveira from 1966. Fredericks was a regular from 1969-1976, and Ken Wadsworth a fixture in the NZ side over the same period. So if you want to go back before 1976 there are three countries effectively ruled out. Solkar of course has been mentioned. What teams might you have more luck with? Pakistan and Australia do seem to be the best options. Before that 1972-73 series their previous matches were eight years earlier; several of the players from that short series have now passed on including Peter Burge, Neil Hawke and Abdul Kadir.