• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar slips out of top 10 in Test ratings

Choora

State Regular
Tendulkar slips out of top 10 in Test ratings
Reuters
London, December 18

After his recent run of bad form in Australia, Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar has slipped out of the top 10 in the PriceWaterhouseCooper's Test ratings for the first time sice 1993.

West Indies batsman Brian Lara has reclaimed top spot after his innings of 202 in the first Test against South Africa.

Another Indian, Rahul Dravid, moved up to second place in the rankings issued on Wednesday following his innings of 233 and 72 not out in their second Test victory over Australia.

Batsmen

1. Brian Lara (WI).

2. Rahul Dravid (IND).

3. Matthew Hayden (AUS).

4. Ricky Ponting (AUS).

5. Inzamam-ul-Haq (PAK).

6. Mark Richardson (NZ)

7. Adam Gilchrist (AUS)

8. Michael Vaughan (ENG).

9. Herschelle Gibbs (RSA).

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Erm, the people at 3 & 4 would surely have a point to make that at least one of them should be at 1 or 2.

PY

International Coach
Scores of 217, 222, 233 in his last 15 innings. Throw in another ton and three fifties.

Think it might be deserved on form terms.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
he is batting unbeliveably well considering there was alot of pressure on his shoulders this tour as his average out in australia is that crash hot.

but from his last 15 innings deservably so, interesting to see lara at the top.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe you should check Mark Richardson's test average & runs scored....he deserves to be in the top 10, he's one of the more consistent openers in world cricket.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting's runs have come against the West Indies, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and India. Lara's against Australia, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, South Africa.

jagaways

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Erm, the people at 3 & 4 would surely have a point to make that at least one of them should be at 1 or 2.
why...because they're australian and somehow superior to all other cricketers?

PY

International Coach
Nope, because Ponting has scored more runs than anyone this year and Matthew Hayden broke the world record not long ago.

Mr Mxyzptlk

PY said:
Nope, because Ponting has scored more runs than anyone this year and Matthew Hayden broke the world record not long ago.
Lara has more runs than both of them this year and he had to play Australia.

PY

International Coach
Sorry I had a look at the one before this last WI v SA Test. Forget to add that Lara and Smith both registered huge innings so overtook Ponting and Hayden respectively.

Calendar Year 2003

Still, I think the table still represents that Ponting and Hayden have at least a claim to be in the top 2.

EDIT: Noticed Lara was above Ponting before the series running currently. :saint:

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Choora said:
After his recent run of bad form in Australia, Indian batsman Sachin Tendulkar has slipped out of the top 10 in the PriceWaterhouseCooper's Test ratings for the first time sice 1993.
Just yet another indication of the ludicrousy of the rankings.
If many people really doubt Tendulkar is the best batsman of today, I'll be surprised, and if anyone doubts he's not in the top 10 I'll eat my computer.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Re: Re: Tendulkar slips out of top 10 in Test ratings

Richard said:
Just yet another indication of the ludicrousy of the rankings.
If many people really doubt Tendulkar is the best batsman of today, I'll be surprised, and if anyone doubts he's not in the top 10 I'll eat my computer.
The rankings aren't ludicrous. They rank form not how good a batsman is. Say it with me f-o-r-m. Tendulkar has done nothing to suggest that he is in form.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You and me understand that but plenty appear not to. The reason I think they are ludicrous is because there's no real point in having "exact" rankings of roughly who's in the best form (for me there are definate fluctuations), which seems to me to be what they do.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr. Ponting said:
Why?

For a start, they don't have to face the Australian bowling attack, and don't have the luxury of playing in the best side in the World.

Lara, in particular, is all but carrying his side.

Craig

World Traveller
But bearing in mind he has played only 4 Tests so far and looked like getting into some form in the second innins at Adelaide.

He was playing well until that brain explosion that lead him to pad up plumb in front.

THE MINGSTER

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
mavric41 said:
Mark Richardson at 6????????????????????????
Like Tim said, look at the bloody stats.

Originally posted by RichardJust yet another indication of the ludicrousy of the rankings.[/B]
Suggest a better system then.

Tendulkar has had a lean trout this year and all the batsmen in the Top 10 has had a better year.

The rankings take more into account current form not as much as overall.