• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Inzamam or Pietersen

Inzamam or Pietersen

• Total voters

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit harsh on Saeed Anwar, Younis Khan and Mohammed Yousef, IMHO.

Would imagine Inzi played a fair bit of cricket with then all.

Early on he probably overlapped with Malik and Miandad too.

Satyanash89

Banned
Voted Pietersen. Has the ability to tear apart any bowling attack, regardless of quality in any conditions, which is very very rare. Has a record comparable to Inzi's and has done better against the very best. Already has 22 hundreds, which is just 3 less than Inzamam, amazingly... and he's played 25 fewer Test matches. Both top quality batsmen though

1st he faced donald, pollock, walsh, ambross and McGrath more than kp.. and we all know that today's bowlers or the standard of bowling can't even close to that era...

2nd KP always had better supporter.. Either cook, Bell, Struss and so onn.. on ther other hand..Inzi was the lonely and one man fighter who saved his time plenty of time when his team's batting.. specially openers failed him so many times...

the number of openers they tried during his time.. at one point came close to 30 different names/combination..
1) Inzamam probably played against more great bowlers, but that only meant he got more opportunities to fail against them. Inzamam struggled against the best bowlers of the 90s and even against not-so-great bowlers in conditions even slightly favouring swing or seam. That he played with lazy elegance masked the simple fact that he was quite poor in swinging conditions. KP's faced McGrath, Warne, Steyn n co, and done very very well... played some great knocks against them

2) Inzamam was hardly the lone warrior ala Chanderpaul/Lara you're making him out to be. He had some top quality batsmen with him throughout his career. Saeed Anwar, Mohd. Yousouf, Younis Khan etc. are all batsmen worthy of being included in an AT Pakistan XI.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I actually think it's reasonably close on quality so I'd take the bloke with the 15-year career behind him for now over someone who's had a career literally about half that long.

A question worth revisiting once KP's career ends, however.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually think it's reasonably close on quality so I'd take the bloke with the 15-year career behind him for now over someone who's had a career literally about half that long.

A question worth revisiting once KP's career ends, however.
Good Point.

abmk

State 12th Man
Inzi at the moment. If KP can keep up good form for a couple more years, would probably put him ahead ...

in Asia, Inzi obviously

outside of Asia, KP ..

though inzi did well vs WI in WI and vs NZ in NZ ...

smash84

The Tiger King
Inzi at the moment. If KP can keep up good form for a couple more years, would probably put him ahead ...

in Asia, Inzi obviously

outside of Asia, KP ..

though inzi did well vs WI in WI and vs NZ in NZ ...
I think I'll take Inzi just over pieterson for now.

Inzy did reasonably well in WI when the WI weren't quite as spent a force as they are now i.e. his batting against them during the early 90s (just writing from memory cbf looking it up)

Inzy was just horrible against Aus and SA (away) though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I think I'll take Inzi just over pieterson for now.

Inzy did reasonably well in WI when the WI weren't quite as spent a force as they are now i.e. his batting against them during the early 90s (just writing from memory cbf looking it up)

Inzy was just horrible against Aus and SA (away) though.
genuinely surprised this post wasn't a laughing emoticon.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
i think i'll take inzi just over pieterson for now.

Inzy did reasonably well in wi when the wi weren't quite as spent a force as they are now i.e. His batting against them during the early 90s (just writing from memory cbf looking it up)

inzy was just horrible against aus and sa (away) though.
awta

AaronK

State Regular
Bit harsh on Saeed Anwar, Younis Khan and Mohammed Yousef, IMHO.

Would imagine Inzi played a fair bit of cricket with then all.

Early on he probably overlapped with Malik and Miandad too.
Saeed was good till 98.. yousuf didn't peak until 2003.. while younis peaked 2005.. around 2000 to 2004.. he couldn't even keep his place in the team..

When inzi arrived maindad was all done.. he was way past his prime while malik was involved in match fixing controversy...

between 94 to 2004 inzi was was the backbone of a team that struggled with on and off field controversies.. I don't know if KP would have survived these controversies.. knowing how he reacted to just a simple issues in his team a few months ago.

1) Inzamam probably played against more great bowlers, but that only meant he got more opportunities to fail against them. Inzamam struggled against the best bowlers of the 90s and even against not-so-great bowlers in conditions even slightly favouring swing or seam. That he played with lazy elegance masked the simple fact that he was quite poor in swinging conditions. KP's faced McGrath, Warne, Steyn n co, and done very very well... played some great knocks against them

2) Inzamam was hardly the lone warrior ala Chanderpaul/Lara you're making him out to be. He had some top quality batsmen with him throughout his career. Saeed Anwar, Mohd. Yousouf, Younis Khan etc. are all batsmen worthy of being included in an AT Pakistan XI.
inzi only struggled in aus and south Africa.. just like many subcontinent batsman of his time.. before dravid and laxman.. I would say sachin was the only batsman who did well in SA and Aus..so for the standard of that time.. I would say inzi did pretty well against those bowlers specially outside aus and sa.. he also played well against WI when they had ambrose, walsh and soo on..

again both yousuf and younis peaked later on.. saeed was the only player with him but he struggled with his form more often than inzi..