Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Commentators

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!

Worst Commentators

This is probably more for the Aussies, but if anyone knows of any other realy **** commentators - throw 'em in.

The commentator I reckon is the worst is Ian Chappell. For a guy who knows so much about cricket and could give so much insight into the game he spends so much time talking about absolutely nothing.

He can spend over half an hour talking about a batsman's grip or a crack in the pitch, someone in the crowd, anyway you get my drift.

Other candidates - Mark Taylor, Shane Warne, Simon O'Donnell, Mark Nichollas (sp)

We all know who the greatest of all is - Kerry O'Keefe. And I have been impressed with Harsha Bogle (sp?) and Greg Chappell.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Banned
    Canberra (in body), Perth (in spirit), Nagoya (in the future)
    Chappell is a mixed bag. He can be pretty fired up sometimes but on the whole is boring, yes. Don't care much for Bill Lawry or Simon O'Donnell either.
    Ian Healy, Tony Greig and Richie are the best.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Originally posted by furious_ged
    Chappell is a mixed bag. He can be pretty fired up sometimes but on the whole is boring, yes. Don't care much for Bill Lawry or Simon O'Donnell either.
    Ian Healy, Tony Greig and Richie are the best.
    Yeah, I forgot 'Heals' - How could I! :O His excitement at the use of 'Hawk-eye' is unsurpassed.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    I've always liked Tony Greig. He is insightful, and his passion is very evident and contagious.

As for the worst, I'd give it to Sohail for utterly biased and mindless commentary. He hardly provides any insight, usually ridicules the umpires for most of the decisions that don't go in his team's favour. As far as I'm concerned, Sohail is miles ahead of the entire world, when it comes to crappy commentary.
    Last edited by TendulkarFan; 17-12-2003 at 08:17 PM.

Originally posted by TendulkarFan
    I've always liked Tony Greig. He is insightful, and his passion is very evident and contagious.
    Tony Greig has all the insight of a blind man. He is consistently wrong in his commentry, extremely biased and always pushes his sports memrobilia at every given chance. He is the worst commentator of any sport in the world.
    Only two states to be in - Queensland and drunk.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Originally posted by mavric41
    Tony Greig has all the insight of a blind man. He is consistently wrong in his commentry, extremely biased and always pushes his sports memrobilia at every given chance. He is the worst commentator of any sport in the world.
    While I would politely say I am not on the same page as you for most of your post, I strongly disagree with the "worst commentator" part. For that, see the edited version of my post.

Tim
    I cannot stand Tony Grieg.

Greig and Shane Warne are annoying. I reckon I could do a pretty good job. Sit there and get paid for speaking about cricket its not to bad for half an hours work every session.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

PY
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

I watched most of the last test with India ... and was bored rigid to be honest. Made me appreciate Channel 4's commentary crew an awful lot more.

Bill Lawry sucks big time. Talk about completely biased. There was one stint were the indians were cruising in the last innings, and Mark Nicholas was praising the gargantuan efforts of Raul Dravid. All Bill Lawry could say was "It aint over yet pal" ... then started harping on about how great Bichel and Williams are ... "one more wicket could turn this game around" ... WHAT? They were getting soundly thrashed ... and had NO penetration at all!

No respect for the opposition whatsoever. WE have our own one sided commentator in Dermot Reeve ... but Reeve has so much life about him, and he respects the opposition.

Listening to the Aussie commentary crew reminder me of the dark days of BBC commentating ... Tony Lewis, Illingworth et al. I used to pray for the half hour when Boycs and Benaud would commentate together.

Cricket seems so much more fast paced on C4. Anyone else get that impression ... which is odd considering the amazing scoring rate of that Aus-Ind test match. I like the fact that C4 bring in the commentry all stars, and listen to who the public like, Ian Smith being a classic example. Slats is pretty good too. Atherton has improved this year ... he bored the hell out of me to start with.

Ian Healy was the one that stood out from the Aussie crew. Really liked him. Used to like Ian Chappell ... but he's become a grumpy old man all of a sudden.

LONG LIVE RICHIE BENAUD!!!!!
    EMAIL: johnnya24@yahoo.co.uk

Area 51 (Been requesting videos that even robelinda cant come up with - up yours all CW )
    Originally posted by TendulkarFan

As for the worst, I'd give it to Sohail for utterly biased and mindless commentary. He hardly provides any insight, usually ridicules the umpires for most of the decisions that don't go in his team's favour. As far as I'm concerned, Sohail is miles ahead of the entire world, when it comes to crappy commentary.
    U surely have not heard Sarfaraz Nawaz as a commentators, Man i used to turn the TV volume off and turun to Radio commentary whenever he got the mic.
    Guy was absolutely Idiot, i remember during one test match he named Sunil Gavaskar (along with Asif Iqbal) the cause of match fixing, While doing commentry for PTV.

State Regular
    Tony Greig & NS Sidhu.
    ------------------------------------

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    for mine at the moment

the good:
    Benaud
    Healy
    Taylor
    Chapell
    M Waugh

the bad:
    Grieg
    Lawry

awful:
    Mark Nicholla

the worst:
    Warne

though its pretty tight between warne and nicollas as to who is worse
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    For me, the best two ever were John Arlott and Jonners - Richie is the last from that era so he's my no 1.

Of the modern set, there are many adequate, a few good and a couple I love (Bumble and Aggers) but as for the ones I don't like...

Mark Nocholas by a military mile.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Worest: Martin wackadeydoo Crowe

Best: Ian Smith.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information