• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Commentators

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
TendulkarFan said:
I've always liked Tony Greig. He is insightful, and his passion is very evident and contagious.

As for the worst, I'd give it to Sohail for utterly biased and mindless commentary. He hardly provides any insight, usually ridicules the umpires for most of the decisions that don't go in his team's favour. As far as I'm concerned, Sohail is miles ahead of the entire world, when it comes to crappy commentary.
The thing that gets me a bit about Tony Greig is that his allegiances seem to swap depending on what's happening. If Australia are winning then he's (apparently) quite pleased, yet as soon as anyone looks like giving them a run he's over the fence and into the next paddock. Him and Bill are good value though (or have I been listening to the 12th man too much!?).

Mister Wright

Son Of Coco said:
Is Mark Nicholas the guy that also was involved with the State of Origin this year? He's a complete and utter tool, just another one of Kerry's brown nosers who's been thrown into sport (possibly sports) that he obviously has no idea about. He's up there with the great commentator choices such as Ray Martin and Ken Maxwell calling the cricket.
I don't think so. The only overseas flavour to Origin this year (that I can think of) was using Shrek & Donkey to promote each team.

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
Mark Waugh only scored at 70-per-100 sometimes.
Ponting is now a rare breed.
haha, if the Aussies are "as ugly as sin" scoring quickly and the other teams score "stylishly" at 50 per 100, then I guess it's time for the other teams to get ugly.

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
I don't think so. The only overseas flavour to Origin this year (that I can think of) was using Shrek & Donkey to promote each team.
haha, I just realised he wasn't reading th eother posts, which qualifies my first post about him as a "Rant"! :mellow:

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
david, come on. Ever heard of a basic fact?
Like the fact that Gough and Stewart announced they wanted a break in August?
If someone doesn't realise that and me and marc correct them at the same time, then agreement is inevitable.
Another basic fact is that Gilchrist's average is inflated...:saint:
Gilchrist's average is inflated? In that he's scored a lot of runs against quite a few different teams?

Mister Wright

Son Of Coco said:
Gilchrist's average is inflated? In that he's scored a lot of runs against quite a few different teams?
Ah...you obviously haven't heard of Richard's 'Second Chance Average' theory...

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
Ah...you obviously haven't heard of Richard's 'Second Chance Average' theory...
No, I missed that one unfortunately. At first I thought you'd typed "Richie's Second Chance Average Theory", then I came to my senses :D

What's this theory all about then?

Son Of Coco

Mister Wright said:
Well, you've certainly confused e. :wacko:
Sorry mate, I just read what I wrote and can't make any sense of it either. I think I was trying to type that I'd realised it wasn't the same guy when I read the other posts, unfortunately I took a wild slash at one outside off, and it's just ended up trickling down my leg side.......to coin cricketing terminology.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
No, I missed that one unfortunately. At first I thought you'd typed "Richie's Second Chance Average Theory", then I came to my senses :D

What's this theory all about then?
It's not actually "second-chance", it's first-chance, don't mind Kyle - he's just one of those who don't understand the complications. :p
It's a fairly basic concept that, as far as the batsman's ability is concerned, there is no difference between a legitimate dismissal and a let-off.
Some people try to make the complication that it's often hard to tell what should and shouldn't have been out, but personally I don't believe that for a second.
And in the rare case that there is doubt, it's simple - benefit-of-doubt to batsman.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
And this is a good example - Gilchrist might have a lot of runs against his name against different teams, but in 2001 and 2002 especially (not quite so much before and afterwards) he had a hell of a lot of luck, far more than normal and certainly enough to make his average much higher than it deserved to be as far as I'm concerned.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
And this is a good example - Gilchrist might have a lot of runs against his name against different teams, but in 2001 and 2002 especially (not quite so much before and afterwards) he had a hell of a lot of luck, far more than normal and certainly enough to make his average much higher than it deserved to be as far as I'm concerned.
but is it luck when he absolutely mashes a ball towards a fielder...if you hit the ball hard then you are going to get away with these things more...its not luck, its the style of play (same goes for someone like Sehwag for example)

Son Of Coco

Swervy said:
but is it luck when he absolutely mashes a ball towards a fielder...if you hit the ball hard then you are going to get away with these things more...its not luck, its the style of play (same goes for someone like Sehwag for example)
Yeah, I agree, if you go at the ball harder it comes off harder. You've also got to be good enough to make the most of this "luck". I've watched a lot of Gilly's innings (obviously) and can't say I've noticed him getting any luckier than any other batsman up to 2002 (I've missed a bit the last two years though as I haven't been home). He's had a lot of catches dropped in the crowd though I've got to admit! :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
And given that this hardly ever happens and most of the time it is simple drops, this is totally irrelevant.

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
And given that this hardly ever happens and most of the time it is simple drops, this is totally irrelevant.
Gilly hits the ball hard though, so I don't think he hits it any softer when he hits catches. Even catches to slips travel a lot harder if you have a go at them.

Swervy

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
Gilly hits the ball hard though, so I don't think he hits it any softer when he hits catches. Even catches to slips travel a lot harder if you have a go at them.
'if ya gonna flash...flash hard' is a perfectly valid theory

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, it's a perfectly valid theory, yes, but only because you have more chance of evading the fielders the harder you go at it.
It doesn't make simple slip catches into difficult ones or even remotely difficult ones.
Let alone make chances into non-chances.

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
Oh, it's a perfectly valid theory, yes, but only because you have more chance of evading the fielders the harder you go at it.
It doesn't make simple slip catches into difficult ones or even remotely difficult ones.
Let alone make chances into non-chances.
Well, it can make simple catches into more difficult ones because the ball will come to you a lot quicker. An extreme example would be you pushing forward and the ball simply lobbing to slip versus you slashing at it and it flying off the outside edge at a decent pace to the same fielder.

It doesn't make chances into non-chances, but it can make those chances harder to take.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A little bit harder, but not particularly so.
Certainly not such to attach credit to the batsman for it being missed. Indeed, a batsman never deserves that.
Any chance should result in dismissal, and AFAIAC there's no credit a batsman can ever have for a chance being missed.

Dar

School Boy/Girl Captain
steds said:
Bob Willis!???????????????????????!!!!?!??!?!?!?!?!
The pompous, miserable, contrary Bob Willis!?!?!?!?!

You're having a laugh. He deserves to be shot
Thats exactly why i like him. The way he brutally blasts players in his monotonous, whining voice always has me cracking up in laughter.