• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Commentators

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Richard said:
Chickened-out of? Don't make me laugh.
What did he have to chicken-out of? He had simply been touring non-stop for about 13 years and had the understandible wish for a break. Same with Goughie.
The old excuse that people are scared of touring India is long gone. No players pull-out of subcontinent tours just because it's the subcontient any more.
Caddick and Croft and more recently a whole load of Kiwis pulled-out because of the threat (or in India-England case supposed threat) of terrorism but that's entirely different - I can tell you for certain that Croft at least had virtually no choice because had he gone his wife would practically have died of hysterics.
You know Mr. and Mrs. Croft personally do you?
Caddick is gutless as any relevent Test match against the Aussies shows.

Stewart and Gough always banged on about how much it means to play for their country. If this is so why turn down the chance to represent England? Read Gough's pitiful autobiography for a mass of contradictions regarding this (as well as his confirmation as a professional Yorkshireman).

How many of you guys would spurn any chance to play for your side?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
raju said:
You know Mr. and Mrs. Croft personally do you?
My Grandad knows all the Glamorgan players; I've met most of them a few times, and I've met Crofty's wife once - and that was enough. Grandad filled me in on the rest.
Caddick is gutless as any relevent Test match against the Aussies shows.
I disagree. There are many bowlers who have gone to pieces against Australia's batting-line-up, and Caddick has gone to pieces on other occasions. He's just never been as consistent since June 2001 as I'd like him to be.
Stewart and Gough always banged on about how much it means to play for their country. If this is so why turn down the chance to represent England? Read Gough's pitiful autobiography for a mass of contradictions regarding this (as well as his confirmation as a professional Yorkshireman).

How many of you guys would spurn any chance to play for your side?
You think now "I'd never turn-down the chance to play for my country" but you try travelling and playing as much as an English cricketer has to do, and putting in as much as Stewart (wicketkeeper, star-batsman, captain) and Gough (fast bowler with long run and explosive action) do. Eventually spending time with your family and having a rest becomes more important. It's not quite the same for other countries - they all have a break some time in the calender.
Anyway, you said "chickened-out", not "turned their back on their country", which is what you now seem to be accusing them of and what some idiots in our press accused them of.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Eventually spending time with your family and having a rest becomes more important. It's not quite the same for other countries - they all have a break some time in the calender..
Im afraid thats not the case.. Thanks to the lovely knowledgable folk at the ICC, I think you will find most sides are playing shocking amounts of cricket... I think Zimbabwe have historically gone the furthest... Time spent with loved ones must be really sought after now...

Anyway, whats this with Mr Croft's wife? Would you care to fill the uninformed in?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
My Grandad knows all the Glamorgan players; I've met most of them a few times, and I've met Crofty's wife once - and that was enough. Grandad filled me in on the rest.

Well that confirms it. Because your Grandad said it, it must be all true.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mrs. Croft is, shall we say, a rather highly-strung person.
If Robert had announced that he was going to somewhere on the same landmass as a full-scale warzone, I don't like to think what would have happened.
And it wasn't just Grandad who says it; it's a rather notorious fact of the club.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Im afraid thats not the case.. Thanks to the lovely knowledgable folk at the ICC, I think you will find most sides are playing shocking amounts of cricket... I think Zimbabwe have historically gone the furthest... Time spent with loved ones must be really sought after now...
It's not ICC who are to blame for the excessive amount of cricket, though they could have done something to cut it down (ie a twelve-year plan instead of a ten-year one), it is both Boards and TV companies.
However, even with the vast increase, there is still some time for R&R:
Sri Lanka had a break from July to mid-November 2003, though they'd been playing almost non-stop for the last 2 years.
India had a break from April to early October the same year.
Pakistan had a small break from mid-May to early August.
Bangladesh still don't play too much, as they don't get invited to many one-day tournaments.
Zimbabwe didn't play from early July to mid October and had another break after 2 Tests.
South Africa haven't had much break for a while; the last small one they had was from early January to early February.
New Zealand had a break from mid-May to early November 2003.
Australia had a break (bearing in mind they only played a casual Test and ODI series against Bangladesh and a Test series against Zimbabwe) from their West Indies tour finish in early May to early November and The TVS Cup.
West Indies had a break from July to October 2003.
So really it's only England and whoever tours them who doesn't have any real break. The breaks aren't as long as they used to be but for me if ICC acted logically we could have a good amount of cricket without risking burn-out. And if England take care of themselves, they will manage some R&R.

iamdavid

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Agreed, they announced they wanted a break before September 11th, and cannot be accused of being chickens by any stretch of the imagination.
:O :O *gasps* :O :O

Marc & Richard agreeing on something , its just not cricket:O

Well that confirms it. Because your Grandad said it, it must be all true
Thats more like it :lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
david, come on. Ever heard of a basic fact?
Like the fact that Gough and Stewart announced they wanted a break in August?
If someone doesn't realise that and me and marc correct them at the same time, then agreement is inevitable.
Another basic fact is that Gilchrist's average is inflated...:saint:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Richard said:
david, come on. Ever heard of a basic fact?
Like the fact that Gough and Stewart announced they wanted a break in August?
If someone doesn't realise that and me and marc correct them at the same time, then agreement is inevitable.
Another basic fact is that Gilchrist's average is inflated...:saint:
Of course I agree with you both 100% on the justification for Gough & Stewart not touring , I was just commenting that this is the first time I can ever recall you two agreeing on something. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We actually agree on preferance for stylish batting at 50-per-100-balls over 70-per-100-balls but ugly-as-sin batting.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
We actually agree on preferance for stylish batting at 50-per-100-balls over 70-per-100-balls but ugly-as-sin batting.
good thing Aussies can bat at 70 per hundred balls stylishly isn't it :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
age_master said:
good thing Aussies can bat at 70 per hundred balls stylishly isn't it :)
Mark Waugh only scored at 70-per-100 sometimes.
Ponting is now a rare breed.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
good: harsha bhogle, boycott, benaud..
used to like gavaskar, but he is not that good these days...
ian healy is an interesting one. he can make some really good points and then come up with something like "the ***y billy bowden.." in between..
bill lawry, mark taylor, rameez raja :totally biased
dravid did a small stint once, he was very good ... arising from that, who from the current players would make good commentators?

FRAZ

International Captain
viktor said:
good: harsha bhogle, boycott, benaud..
used to like gavaskar, but he is not that good these days...
ian healy is an interesting one. he can make some really good points and then come up with something like "the ***y billy bowden.." in between..
bill lawry, mark taylor, rameez raja :totally biased
dravid did a small stint once, he was very good ... arising from that, who from the current players would make good commentators?
Sunil is still good , and I know Rameez Raja is also good , he sticks to the cricket , does'nt he ? Harsha Bhogle is nothing but a piece of crap , If India is losing then you can see the tears trying to jump out of him . Shastri is an A$$ clown just tries to praise India for no reason . As far as all the Indian commentators are concerned , only Sidhu is interesting and Gavaskar is a guy who has a great knowledge and he does'nt show A$$aholic patriotic attitude like all other Indian comentators who praise India for no reason at all . Pat Sympcox is an ediot and represents the past stupid mentality of South Africa. hmm i forgot Manjrekar was not only a great batsman but also a great cricket expert . if some one deserves to be shot then it must be Ravi Shastri , Harsha Bhogle and all other patriotic clowns.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
I won't argue about the others, but Manjrekar , good?? no way...
the next time he says "Te-e-e ndulakar" , im going to be short a TV set