• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Commentators

krkode

State Captain
Every Tendulkar fan is a Tony Greig fan. It's like jam and bread. :D

That said, I personally dislike Ramiz Raja, Sanjay Manjrekar and Ian Botham as commentators.

Ramiz is always saying things like "Pakistan played well," or "Pakistan played badly." Never anything like "So and so played well." Just one example of why he irks me.

Ian Botham is somewhat similar.

As for Sanjay Manjrekar - I just find him somewhat boring...:rolleyes:

:saint:

Craig

World Traveller
I often wonder whether or not Steve Harmison is in Beefy's fishing group either that or it could be some Durham bias.

roofromoz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Probably Dennis Cometti. For mine, I just don't think his style suits the cricket... stick to the footy ol' son!

:P

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Mark Nicholas I see is commentating in the test between NZ & Pak..he must be swapping between countries before Australia next play India.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Tim said:
Mark Nicholas I see is commentating in the test between NZ & Pak..he must be swapping between countries before Australia next play India.
Maybe he is the most sought after in the commentary field ;)

I enjoy hearing these people commentate

Sidhu - Funny sentences which leaves his fellow commentators amused :lol:

Sohail - Picks up verbal fights with fellow commentators and so there is always some off-field action going on.

Slater and Boycott

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im surprised you like Boycott Vish, he seems to rip into India at every chance he gets.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't mind Warnie as a commentator..
I despise Bill Lawry and Tony Greig..

Of the others Ian Healy, Ian Smith, Harsha Bogle, and Michael Holding are good..

V Reddy

International Debutant
Tim said:
Im surprised you like Boycott Vish, he seems to rip into India at every chance he gets.
I like his straight forward commentary. BTW, you will find that Sohail is one of the biggest criticisers of Indian players. He was full of criticism against India even when India were winning all those games in thw WC. Boycott is very popular in India and the biggest supporter of Ganguly :cool2:

raju

School Boy/Girl Captain
Personally I think cricket is served very well in this sphere. All C4 and Channel 9 are very good although i'm not impressed by Warne. Not too fond of the SKY team though. Willis, Lloyd and Allott bore me to tears. And Botham and Colvile are just pathetic. And their studio experts just toe the party line (Alec Stewart being the worst when he did the gig during the India tour which he chickened out of). Knight, Butcher, Gough, Croft, Ramprakash, Ward et al are all as banal as each other.

Compared to UK football though Cricket does very well. Boycott is my fave and the sooner he is back on the better. I think he is being victimised because he gave some old brass a clip. I'll also mention Simon 'Yozzer' Hughes and Gower as well as no one has referred to them yet.

Other greats are Cozier, Benaud, Lawry, Ian Chappel and Ian Smith. Atherton is also getting better and better. Boring at first but now has the right balance...will only improve.

Rich2001

International Captain
raju said:
Boycott is my fave and the sooner he is back on the better. I think he is being victimised because he gave some old brass a clip. I'll also mention Simon 'Yozzer' Hughes and Gower as well as no one has referred to them yet.
Your be very happy with this news then..

"Geoffrey Boycott's exile from the Test match commentary box in England will end next summer when he is to join Channel 4's team for their coverage of the two series against New Zealand and West Indies. "

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
raju said:
Other greats are Cozier, Benaud, Lawry, Ian Chappel and Ian Smith. Atherton is also getting better and better. Boring at first but now has the right balance...will only improve.
Cozier??? Cozier??? The man has been commentating on West Indian cricket for years and yet...

"Chandrapaul" - his name is Chanderpaul
"Sharwan" - Sarwan

Also, he talks as if he's played years of professional cricket...

Cozier is knowledgeable on certain topics, but I find myself having to correct him all too often. Also, he can be a little biased in his writing at time.

Finally, to close my rant, I can't stand his voice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Cozier is knowledgeable on certain topics, but I find myself having to correct him all too often.
If there's a single cricket commentator on any station anywhere that I've ever listened to that I've never had to correct I'll eat my computer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
raju said:
(Alec Stewart ... the India tour which he chickened out of)
Chickened-out of? Don't make me laugh.
What did he have to chicken-out of? He had simply been touring non-stop for about 13 years and had the understandible wish for a break. Same with Goughie.
The old excuse that people are scared of touring India is long gone. No players pull-out of subcontinent tours just because it's the subcontient any more.
Caddick and Croft and more recently a whole load of Kiwis pulled-out because of the threat (or in India-England case supposed threat) of terrorism but that's entirely different - I can tell you for certain that Croft at least had virtually no choice because had he gone his wife would practically have died of hysterics.

Craig

World Traveller
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Cozier??? Cozier??? The man has been commentating on West Indian cricket for years and yet...

"Chandrapaul" - his name is Chanderpaul
"Sharwan" - Sarwan

Also, he talks as if he's played years of professional cricket...

Cozier is knowledgeable on certain topics, but I find myself having to correct him all too often. Also, he can be a little biased in his writing at time.

Finally, to close my rant, I can't stand his voice.
Is he Bajan? I have a feeling he is.

nibbs

International Captain
The Australians Commentry (except Benaud) are shocking. They mad India WIN seem so lifeless, with their crappy, lifeless call during the final session. With 20 runs to win, comments like 'if India win' were just out of place. They should have been congratulating the Indians on a job well done.

Sidhu is great for an hour or two, but by god, he can get so annoying after that...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Chickened-out of? Don't make me laugh.
What did he have to chicken-out of? He had simply been touring non-stop for about 13 years and had the understandible wish for a break. Same with Goughie.
Agreed, they announced they wanted a break before September 11th, and cannot be accused of being chickens by any stretch of the imagination.